follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Should Toyota abolish the Scion brand?
Abolish the Scion brand and use Toyota 133 48.36%
Abolish the Scion brand and come with a sports exclusive brand 27 9.82%
I don't care, keep the Scion brand 115 41.82%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #57
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Its staggering all of the arm-chair Marketing Experts on here. Good grief.

This "poll" is nothing more than an attempt to illicit a response from the "F_ Scion" mob and congratulations! it worked. You should be proud.

As far as the cars that Toyota has branded "Scion" here in the US, most of them are hot sellers elsewhere in the world. (Yes, the world really IS bigger than the United States, MUCH bigger) Cars like the xB and iQ are huge sellers in Japan and Europe and that is why Toyota continues to make them. I'm sorry that some of you hate them but they are successful lines of cars that are not "pointless" elsewhere.

As far as the Scion brand goes, everyone knows it was created to make Toyota more appealing to younger buyers, just like Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus were created to appeal to more discerning buyers. Those strategies worked, it was brilliant, you're wrong, deal with it, there are much smarter people in this world than you.

Finally the FRS. Its a Toyota, its a Subaru, its a Scion... big deal, wah, wah, wah. If Fiat had made this car and sold it in the US, guess what? I would have bought it as a Fiat. Who cares? Most of you would have too. Personally I think we are lucky the car even made it to our shores unlike other fantastic cars such as the turbo Silvias, R32,33,34 Skylines (in any trim), Chasers, ect.

Scott

Last edited by naikaidriver; 02-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #58
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Killing off Scion might not be as crazy as you think. Infiniti was one persons decision away from being gone. The president basically gave the VP the ability to ax the brand if the wanted to. Why the resources needed to maintain the other brand for the volume they were selling is not worth it. Instead the VP stole away Audi's CEO and are trying to fix the brand.

My only issue with Scion is they got away from what they were supposed to be. They were supposed to be the youth brand. Since the initial launch they have gotten away from it and are now producing bland cookie cutter cars that the youth do not care about.

The reason I rebadged was because I felt the heritage of the car and the design was Toyota and I wanted to respect that. I also like the JDM stuff so it made sense to do it.

From a business stand point I don't see a real reason for Toyota to keep the brand. There are all kinds of extra costs involved in materials, location and parts. Any extra cost that would have needed to be added to the 86 could be made up with the savings from them.

A lot of enthusiasts like the Toyota brand and don't think of it as just a brand of beige. We remember cars like the AE86, Supra and Celica Turbo.

Instead of trying to make a whole new brand that stands for fun why not return the fun to Toyota? I don't think it would turn away their core beige customer.
jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #59
IloveBaldEagles

Drives: Gray.
Thanked 2,086 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've been on this forum short enough to know that OP is a troll.
IloveBaldEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IloveBaldEagles For This Useful Post:
mangostick (02-06-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #60
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewbj View Post
...My only issue with Scion is they got away from what they were supposed to be. They were supposed to be the youth brand. Since the initial launch they have gotten away from it and are now producing bland cookie cutter cars that the youth do not care about.
My personal opinion is that the marketplace killed this idea. Don't get me wrong, there is a share of the sales that went the way they expected, but I think the bulk of Scion sales went differently. 80% of the Scions I see have always been driven by folks twice the age of the target market. Why? Good cars sold (relatively) cheap. You go in to buy a Toyota, see a car just as nice with a little more styling and with crap you don't want stripped out and you buy the Scion instead.

I bought the FR-S because it was a Toyota where it counts, in its sports car soul. I have the good fortune of only having owned 2 Toyotas, my MK1 MR2 and the FR-S, so that, and trucks are what Toyota is to me.

(OK,we did have a Geo Prism at one point, but it wasn't my car, I swear)

It's the same with GM. I don't think about all the bland stuff they sell, I think of the Camaros, Firebirds and other pony cars I've owned, the Corvettes I've driven and drooled over, and the trucks that have made me money and hauled my family around. That is GM to me.

It's just all a matter of prospective.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #61
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I would have totally bought this GT86 if it was anything other than a Toyota!

Said no one, ever.

Scion needs to die. It's a struggling brand that is only being kept on life support because of the FR-S. Keep the cars, lose the brand.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #62
fenixv8

Drives: 1991 Acura NSX, 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bought the badges before I picked up the car just so I would not have to drive it with those stupid scion badges.

Just get rid of the Scion Brand, silly and useless.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #63
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Not every Toyota dealer necessarily has the showroom or facilities to effectively market 4 different additional lower cost models. If they killed Scion. how would you know which Toyota dealer to go to?
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 02-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #64
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by corry29 View Post
*edit
Another reason is that these Scion cars are like kiddy-cars. It's the cars that parents buy for their reckless teenage kids. I'll admit; Yeah its cool! But the Scion brand can't be taken seriously. The FR-S or should I rightfully say, the 86 is too serious of a car for Scion to handle.

Then again this is just my opinion. No offense to the Scion huggers
Okay, I'm out
Funny you mention that, because here's a screenshot of one of the screens that I took from my Scion training when I worked for Toyota:

Who the F#%K is gonna take this clown, or this brand, seriously? Lose the hat and the Tevas and get a haircut and a job, you stupid hipster! Go buy a TOYOTA like a normal person!

Stupid mono-spec, pure price, toaster-mobile hipster bull$#!t brand. Kill it with fire!!!

/rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Not every Toyota dealer necessary has the showroom or facilities to effectively market 4 different additional lower cost models. If they killed Scion. how would you know which Toyota dealer to go to?
Most dealers I've been to have a Scion section within the dealership. And they're usually off in some deserted corner that no one pays attention to. The dealer I worked at had maybe 5 or 6 Scions on the lot, and over 150 Toyotas. I honestly think these vehicles would sell better with Toyota badges on them.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #65
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Get rid of the Scion brand, get rid of the Pure Pricing, get rid of the mono spec, get rid of the ecoboxes and bring back the multi-model GT86 like Toyota of Japan.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #66
MTCRX

Drives: Whiteout FRS- autocross ready
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who cares. I personally like the pure pricing, Why should you have to guess what a fair price is? everything else in this world has a set price. It is the same car, what is the big deal? who cares what emblem is on the car. Toyota still backs it. It is still a great car. It is a little weird to worry about what someone else might think based on the label. It seems like a lot of unnecessary effort to change badges just because. If it performs as advertised who cares?

If it had a Toyota badge on it I am sure it would cost more and you would have to figure out what the fair price value is while you haggle with the salesman who has all the numbers. Same car.
MTCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MTCRX For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-05-2013), kthxbai (02-05-2013), strat61caster (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #67
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hello, my name (alias) is ExWhyZer0, and I...drive a Scion. Zer0 fucks given :P
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExWhyZer0 For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (02-05-2013), n2oinferno (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #68
Grey
Ghost

Drives: FR-S (Whiteout)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Getting rid of Scion would be immensely stupid for Toyota.

Scion was created to appeal to a lower age demographic of car buyers. The average age of the Toyota buyer is around 54 years old. Scion's average buyer is around 35-40 years old, which is lower than any other average demographic in the industry. Scion was made to appeal to the younger driver that wants to pay entry-level prices but doesn't like entry-level cars. And it's succeeding.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #69
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCRX View Post
Who cares. I personally like the pure pricing, Why should you have to guess what a fair price is? everything else in this world has a set price. It is the same car, what is the big deal? who cares what emblem is on the car. Toyota still backs it. It is still a great car. It is a little weird to worry about what someone else might think based on the label. It seems like a lot of unnecessary effort to change badges just because. If it performs as advertised who cares?

If it had a Toyota badge on it I am sure it would cost more and you would have to figure out what the fair price value is while you haggle with the salesman who has all the numbers. Same car.
I would prefer an RC spec and the ability to negotiate the price vs a mono spec and paying MSRP.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #70
TeamZleep

Drives: 2013 FRS/2011 TDI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Am I the only one who decided the FRS over the BRZ because the lack of features?? Price really wasn't an issue, I honestly wanted a car with no bullshit. Just a pure, raw, no bones about it sports car. I could give two shits as far as badging... If the car was badged as a Saturn (provided it was the same exact car), I would have bought it.

It's more Z car than the 350/370Z's could ever be. At least, it captures the soul of the s30z's/sx's/ae86's of the past. No fluff, all business.

The scion badges worry me none. Nor does the kid image that goes with it. Besides, only the older people who respect the car will still be driving them in the next 10 years... All of the hip kids will eat guardrails and trees.
TeamZleep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeamZleep For This Useful Post:
bakerr6 (02-05-2013), strat61caster (02-05-2013)