follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some recent observations..

I've had my 2013 FR-S for about 6 weeks now, and have put about 2k miles on it. Recently, I've noticed that it's really breaking in beautifully; the transmission, which was always good, is getting smoother and faster, the engine sounds smooth as silk and roars when asked to, the handling is increasingly predictable and strong. This car, once driven for a while, really improves. Then, of course, I woke up and remembered that I had bought the car USED... someone ELSE had already put 22K on it. All those swell improvements and "breakins" weren't the car changing, they were ME changing and getting used to the way THIS car drives. Duh... and yet, we're all guilty of that. Audiophiles constantly talk of the need to "break in" flippin' cables, much less speakers and amps. What MOSTLY is happening is that the listener is getting used to the equipment's sound and learning to like it. Same thing with this car. Those who complain about overly stiff transmissions, difficulty getting into gears, etc... just give it time. You WILL adapt to the car, and it's a GREAT car. Love it. I'm embarrassed to admit I fell into the trap of ascribing the improvements to the car adapting, rather than me adapting to it.

Secondly.. my first real gripe about the car, and it's a very minor one. On my other recent cars (two MB and a BMW), the seats were adjustable in many planes, including the tilt of the seat itself and not just the recline angle of the seat back. I always adjusted the seat so that, when driving, the seat bottom support my from my tailbone all the way down my thigh. For me (5' 8" and fairly short-legged), this meant that most of my thigh was supported by the seat too, which spread my weight from my butt to me knee almost. This is VERY comfortable over long hauls. On the FR-S, you can't adjust the seat tilt, so even with my legs fairly extended my thighs are still off the seat when I'm on the pedals, putting all of my weight (150 lbs) on my butt. Not a big deal, but I didn't notice this issue until I'd driven for a while. Just sayin'. Maybe in the future a seat that adjusts not only in height and front-to-back, but in tilt too, dear ToyoBaru Developers?

As you were.... pass me another egg nog...

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Eighty 6 (12-11-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-12-2015), humfrz (12-11-2015), PureShield (12-12-2015), Sarlacc (12-12-2015), soulreapersteve (12-11-2015), Ultramaroon (12-12-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Good points about the ........ "driver break in period" .........

Have you considered using a wedge shaped seat cushion ... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #3
Ashikabi

Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Doesn't the front of the seat adjust up and down?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:19 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
The driver's seat on my 2013 FR-S will adjust up and down, but the bottom will not tilt......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:48 AM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I've had my 2013 FR-S for about 6 weeks now, and have put about 2k miles on it. Recently, I've noticed that it's really breaking in beautifully; the transmission, which was always good, is getting smoother and faster, the engine sounds smooth as silk and roars when asked to, the handling is increasingly predictable and strong. This car, once driven for a while, really improves. Then, of course, I woke up and remembered that I had bought the car USED... someone ELSE had already put 22K on it. All those swell improvements and "breakins" weren't the car changing, they were ME changing and getting used to the way THIS car drives. Duh... and yet, we're all guilty of that. Audiophiles constantly talk of the need to "break in" flippin' cables, much less speakers and amps. What MOSTLY is happening is that the listener is getting used to the equipment's sound and learning to like it. Same thing with this car. Those who complain about overly stiff transmissions, difficulty getting into gears, etc... just give it time. You WILL adapt to the car, and it's a GREAT car. Love it. I'm embarrassed to admit I fell into the trap of ascribing the improvements to the car adapting, rather than me adapting to it.

Secondly.. my first real gripe about the car, and it's a very minor one. On my other recent cars (two MB and a BMW), the seats were adjustable in many planes, including the tilt of the seat itself and not just the recline angle of the seat back. I always adjusted the seat so that, when driving, the seat bottom support my from my tailbone all the way down my thigh. For me (5' 8" and fairly short-legged), this meant that most of my thigh was supported by the seat too, which spread my weight from my butt to me knee almost. This is VERY comfortable over long hauls. On the FR-S, you can't adjust the seat tilt, so even with my legs fairly extended my thighs are still off the seat when I'm on the pedals, putting all of my weight (150 lbs) on my butt. Not a big deal, but I didn't notice this issue until I'd driven for a while. Just sayin'. Maybe in the future a seat that adjusts not only in height and front-to-back, but in tilt too, dear ToyoBaru Developers?

Barry

What we get in return are seats that are super well bolstered and feel good when they do sit right. I gotta say I love these seats even without tilt adjustment
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #6
sodjer

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to sodjer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
What we get in return are seats that are super well bolstered and feel good when they do sit right. I gotta say I love these seats even without tilt adjustment
I also love the seats in these cars. They are the most comfortable of any vehicle I've owned (which have only been SUV's, except a short stint in a not so great domestic sub-compact). The biggest surprise was that they fit me just fine at 6'5" and a lot of weight
sodjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #7
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like to move the seat up as far as possible so that I'm one with the car. It's a better driving experience and gives you +32 enthusiasm points... Not sure if that's a big deal for you, but it's a big deal for me since I'm 15 EP away from leveling up to Level 3 and earning the de-badge skill.
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 02.ACCORD.DUDE For This Useful Post:
FatFree (12-12-2015), meWant (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 02:19 AM   #8
PureShield

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post

Barry
Always awesome to hear another person having a good time with their FR-S/BRZ, I too have also noticed the gearbox to be quite notchy going from 1st to 2nd but that's pretty much what everyone says, but after driving for a little while that baby becomes as smooth as silk. Have you gone on any long driving sessions/trips? 4+ hours?
PureShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Have you considered using a wedge shaped seat cushion ... ??

humfrz
No, because I like everything else about the seats and I'm afraid to lose some of the bolster-ed in/cradled feel of the seat by adding something to it. Maybe I'll try it.. thanks for the push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
No, the seat as a whole will adjust up or down, but not the tilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodjer View Post
I also love the seats in these cars. They are the most comfortable of any vehicle I've owned (which have only been SUV's, except a short stint in a not so great domestic sub-compact). The biggest surprise was that they fit me just fine at 6'5" and a lot of weight
I think the difference in height between the two of us is a big factor. Since you undoubtedly have your seat back farther than I do, the angle between the front of your seat bottom to the pedals is less so your legs are straighter than mine are, probably resting on the seat as I wish mine were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureShield View Post
..Have you gone on any long driving sessions/trips? 4+ hours?
Three 5+ hour jaunts so far, and very enjoyable. I do like the secure, cradled comfort that everyone else mentions of these seats, don't get me wrong, but I feel more weight on my tailbone than I did/do in my other aforementioned cars. Since the seats really don't encourage a lot of shifting around in your seat, there's really no way to change your load-bearing contact points (say, shifting from one cheek to another, or slouching a bit for a minute or two, or sitting more upright.. all things that help keep circulation moving on long trips). When doing long hauls (I've done over 20 hours non-stop except for gas and a quick bathroom break or two on many occasionas), these little in-seat exercises are life savers. Changing the seat position and angle occasionally during a very long drive helps too. With this car, for me anyway, I have to set the ideal driving location and stick with it. Like I said, it IS very comfortable, but there's only ONE comfortable "setting." I wish I could vary it more. As others have mentioned in other posts, I LOVE how well the car is laid out; you can reach every control almost without taking your hand off the shifter or the steering wheel. Beautiful.

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
Ashikabi

Put a spacer under where the front of the seat attaches. That'll lift the front. Might compromise safety. I suppose you could have a wedge spacer machined if you wanted it all shiny and nice instead of washers
Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
Eighty 6

Drives: Gt86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureShield View Post
Always awesome to hear another person having a good time with their FR-S/BRZ, I too have also noticed the gearbox to be quite notchy going from 1st to 2nd but that's pretty much what everyone says, but after driving for a little while that baby becomes as smooth as silk. Have you gone on any long driving sessions/trips? 4+ hours?
When I first start it the 1 to 2nd gears are a bit stiff due to the fluid being a bit cold but once temp gauge goes up a bit it's all good. I noticed that a small rev when changing gears minimizes that.
Eighty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eighty 6 For This Useful Post:
PureShield (12-13-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
I had the pleasure of driving someone else's BMW 113i for a few hours, and it's a good car.
I could not own one though, because with all its seat adjustments I could not find a comfortable position.
I've had this problem in a lot of cars over the years.
Only brand I trust to always make seats I can occupy for 8+ hrs without back pains etc is Mercedes.

- So imagine my surprise when I drop into the GT86 demo car and discovers that the seat fits me perfectly, with no comfort adjustment at all!

I have seat and steering wheel set according to the Porsche method.
Highly recommended, watch video below.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qpgA7Cr_4[/ame]
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (12-12-2015), Cole (12-12-2015), meWant (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #13
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
I had the pleasure of driving someone else's BMW 113i for a few hours, and it's a good car.
I could not own one though, because with all its seat adjustments I could not find a comfortable position.
I've had this problem in a lot of cars over the years.
Only brand I trust to always make seats I can occupy for 8+ hrs without back pains etc is Mercedes.

- So imagine my surprise when I drop into the GT86 demo car and discovers that the seat fits me perfectly, with no comfort adjustment at all!

I have seat and steering wheel set according to the Porsche method.
Highly recommended, watch video below.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qpgA7Cr_4[url]
I've also adjusted my seat to this video.

When I was buying, I test drove the MT and at first I didn't like the gearbox, but then by the time I was back on the street the dealership was on, I was very happy with it, and found some of the more common "quirks" about it.

Ended up buying the AT (long story about a girl who is no longer part of my life) and I'm still finding I have to modify my driving habits to get the most of it. Though, I think the AT has more quirks than the MT at this point, until Toyota Canada decides to introduce that stupid TSB for the AT that all the 'Mericans get.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I've also adjusted my seat to this video.

When I was buying, I test drove the MT and at first I didn't like the gearbox, but then by the time I was back on the street the dealership was on, I was very happy with it, and found some of the more common "quirks" about it.

Ended up buying the AT (long story about a girl who is no longer part of my life) and I'm still finding I have to modify my driving habits to get the most of it. Though, I think the AT has more quirks than the MT at this point, until Toyota Canada decides to introduce that stupid TSB for the AT that all the 'Mericans get.
I'm not sure what this TSB or whatnot is but can't you just import it and swap it in?