follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2022, 03:33 PM   #1
blakkoutdarko

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Raven)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suspension advice before I spend my money

I’m running stock suspension but plan to get BC Racing coils (Extreme Low) with the swift spring upgrade and Rays Gram Lights 57DR 17x9 38+ with 245/240 Falken Azenis FK510. For the coils is 8k spring rate good or should I go higher/lower? I already know I might need extended lugs and spacers for the rear. Would dropping the car 1.5-2” be overkill and cause rubbing? What else would be needed for perfect fitment? I’ve checked FI gallery to see comparisons but it seems it varies with fitment.
blakkoutdarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:39 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,324 Times in 7,382 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Standard questions. What are you doing with the car? Tracking? Street car? Why BC? What other supporting mods?

8k is pretty stiff. Even on track most people run 6-7kg w/200tw tire.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #3
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Standard questions. What are you doing with the car? Tracking? Street car? Why BC? What other supporting mods?

8k is pretty stiff. Even on track most people run 6-7kg w/200tw tire.
Well I’m using the car as my daily so for purpose I’d say it’d be a street car I have no intentions for tacking my car..as of now at least. My first choice for coils were Tein Flex Z but with BC u have more adjustability, they’re rebuildable and a lifetime warranty knocks it out the park for me plus I like the black colorway vs the green :P. And with the ride quality I’d want something close or better than factory ride quality. What needs to be done?
Old 01-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkoutdarko View Post
Well I’m using the car as my daily so for purpose I’d say it’d be a street car I have no intentions for tacking my car..as of now at least. My first choice for coils were Tein Flex Z but with BC u have more adjustability, they’re rebuildable and a lifetime warranty knocks it out the park for me plus I like the black colorway vs the green :P. And with the ride quality I’d want something close or better than factory ride quality. What needs to be done?
You could always do RCE Yellows with the Bilstein B6 or B8.
fminicooper (01-14-2022), rbfr.s (01-07-2022), x808drifter (01-07-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 06:13 PM   #5
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You could always do RCE Yellows with the Bilstein B6 or B8.
Everyone keeps recommending springs but wouldn’t that only limit me to a fitment. Do you have experience with those specific springs, if so how do they ride?
Old 01-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Everyone keeps recommending springs but wouldn’t that only limit me to a fitment. Do you have experience with those specific springs, if so how do they ride?
I haven't run the Yellow's but even if I had it has been so long since I have been on coilovers I wouldn't remember how they have ridden.

Yes, they will limit fit a bit.

If you think coils are the way to go you can look at the ST's, they are made by KW. Ride is pretty good.

Another options would be CSG spec Flex A or the RCE SS1 and both are track/autoX capable.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #7
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Use Bilstein B6 instead of coils. Your springs are too stiff so something softer. Street suspension is pretty simple.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:46 PM   #8
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
What I wish I'd known before changing my suspension:

Lowering will change rear camber and toe and wear out tyres.

Changes in the geometry will also change bump steer characteristics, and straight line stability.

I don't have the skill level to make meaningful adjustments to my dampers.

The BRZ is one of the best handling cars ever built (handling, not grip). It is highly unlikely that you will end up with a better set up by opting for a 'race' package, unless of course you go racing...

My advice would be to find a package with as close to OEM springs and dampers, but lowered, and to budget for adjustable LCAs and toe links and set up your car as close to OEM alignment as possible.

My daughter's 2001 Corolla is more fun on back roads than my track oriented BRZ on street tyres. Think about that...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
blakkoutdarko (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post

Changes in the geometry will also change bump steer characteristics, and straight line stability.

The BRZ is one of the best handling cars ever built (handling, not grip). It is highly unlikely that you will end up with a better set up by opting for a 'race' package, unless of course you go racing...

My advice would be to find a package with as close to OEM springs and dampers, but lowered, and to budget for adjustable LCAs and toe links and set up your car as close to OEM alignment as possible.

My daughter's 2001 Corolla is more fun on back roads than my track oriented BRZ on street tyres. Think about that...

Damper adjustment is overrated. Most people don't know anything about messing with them. I remember when I was getting my suspension revalved back in the day for my MX bike. The suspension guys asked me about my settings and what I prefered and after inadequately answering their questions they suggested I go turn each damper adjustment fully one way, and fully the other until I understood what change was happening. When I understood then call them back

My BRZ is pretty ruined for street driving too lol.
Purist (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #10
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post

So your saying to save my money and to just buy springs since I’d basically be getting the same affect with coils. But could I still achieve a perfect flush fitment with springs as I know I’d have to dial in camber in the front and rear and more than likely run spacers in the rear.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:58 PM   #11
blakkoutdarko

To clear up what my goals are these are what’s most important for my build.
1. Perfect or damn near flush fitment with a 17x9 38 245/240 setup with no rubbing/scraping. I still wanna clear speed bumps and driveways at an incline
2. Smoother or close to stock ride comfortably
Old 01-06-2022, 09:02 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
So your saying to save my money and to just buy springs since I’d basically be getting the same affect with coils. But could I still achieve a perfect flush fitment with springs as I know I’d have to dial in camber in the front and rear and more than likely run spacers in the rear.
We are saying get something like Yellows + B6/B8's for what you want. Maybe go with a different wheel spec to make sure you have enough clearance.

17X9 +38 57DR's will be tight with a 245 tire and I can't guarantee it would fit. With this same setup with H&R springs on stock struts I had around a 1/4 inch of clearance between the tire and spring perch. You could always run a 5mm spacer to get more clearance.

Here is a thread comparing Yellows + B6/B8's with Flex A's.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3412277
Old 01-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #13
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'd consider lowering springs, keeping the 225 tyres and increasing the offset of the wheels to get your flush fit. A flush 225 looks good on these cars, filling out the guard makes it look much fatter.

Plus you retain the powerslidability that makes these cars so much fun.

If spacers are legal where you are then I'm sure you could get custom ones machined to get the exact offset and get longer studs.

In Australia, spacers are illegal so I got my wheels machined to the exact offset I want (to the mm)

Wait and see what the rest of the community say but I'd highly recommend investigating this path a bit more. You could end up with a great looking car that handles great for less than you planned.

NoHaveMSG (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 09:22 PM   #14
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
RCE Yellows on stock struts were pretty good for me.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-06-2022)