follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Cold morning and horrible grinding/screeching sound

This morning I started my car up, let it warm up for a bit, and started driving to work as usual. It's that time of year again and it's getting colder every morning. Maybe 50 feet down the street I notice some horrible metal-on-metal screeching which only happened when my wheels were turning (I had my music on). With my windows open, it kinda sounded like pipes scratching but my cars handling was not effected. I made sure I didn't leave my ebrake one, nope. I took a quick peek under the car to check if anything was dragging, nothing. I decided to turn around and drive back home but by the time I turned the sound was gone.

I'm beginning to wonder if it was that oil was still too cold? Some of the grease was too thick because of the cold? Maybe my driveshaft was grinding against metal? Maybe my brakes were dragging, possibly my ebrake was stuck? Whatever it was, it sounded terrible.

But anyways, the sound disappeared and I'm sure it had to do with the cold weather. Next time, I'm going to warm up a bit longer and maybe pump the ebrake a few times in case it was stuck.

(I should have thought to record a video, but I didn't. Hopefully it doesn't happen again tomorrow morning, but I will record it if it does)
Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
mhigham

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sounds like maybe the brakes were hung up. Not too uncommon especially for drum-in-disc type ebrakes we have.

Any video might help, there are a hundred different causes it could be.

mhigham is offline   Reply With Quote