follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
zombieite

Drives: 2017 Limited Edition, manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fix for dim high beams

If your highbeams are weirdly dim, here's what fixed it for me.

I tried a new bulb and it was still dim. It seemed unlikely to be the problem anyway because a light would usually burn out or not burn out, not be dim.

Then it occurred to me, I had used a bluetooth OBDII phone app (Carista) to turn off the daytime running lights. The DRLs are the same bulbs as the highbeams. So I had a theory.

Maybe the app that turns off the daytime lights was a hack. Maybe those bulbs have a program in the car's computer: "Operate at level 5 when lights are off (DRL). Operate at level 0 when main headlights are on. When highbeams are on, operate at level 10." And maybe the hack instructed the computer: subtract 5 from highbeam bulb program in all circumstances. This would have both the effect of turning off the DRLs, and dimming the highbeams.

So I got out my OBDII reader and phone app. But it no longer worked. I had used it to turn off the DRLs before, but now could not access the OBDII tool at all. I tried other OBDII readers, other phones, and other cars. No dice. The Carista app said try our Carista tool instead of a generic tool. So I ordered the Carista branded tool and it worked once again. Annoying, because they probably just updated their app to say "only recognize our branded tool."

So fiiiinnalllly today I could access the settings again. I turned the DRLs back on. And BAM... the highbeams are bright again.
zombieite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieite View Post
If your highbeams are weirdly dim, here's what fixed it for me.

I tried a new bulb and it was still dim. It seemed unlikely to be the problem anyway because a light would usually burn out or not burn out, not be dim.

Then it occurred to me, I had used a bluetooth OBDII phone app (Carista) to turn off the daytime running lights. The DRLs are the same bulbs as the highbeams. So I had a theory.

Maybe the app that turns off the daytime lights was a hack. Maybe those bulbs have a program in the car's computer: "Operate at level 5 when lights are off (DRL). Operate at level 0 when main headlights are on. When highbeams are on, operate at level 10." And maybe the hack instructed the computer: subtract 5 from highbeam bulb program in all circumstances. This would have both the effect of turning off the DRLs, and dimming the highbeams.

So I got out my OBDII reader and phone app. But it no longer worked. I had used it to turn off the DRLs before, but now could not access the OBDII tool at all. I tried other OBDII readers, other phones, and other cars. No dice. The Carista app said try our Carista tool instead of a generic tool. So I ordered the Carista branded tool and it worked once again. Annoying, because they probably just updated their app to say "only recognize our branded tool."

So fiiiinnalllly today I could access the settings again. I turned the DRLs back on. And BAM... the highbeams are bright again.
The Carista app said try our Carista tool instead of a generic tool. So I ordered the Carista branded tool and it worked once again. Annoying, because they probably just updated their app to say "only recognize our branded tool."

Nope, still works fine for my chinese ebay brand elm 327 dongle quite easily, however I've had several situations like yours where it wouldn't connect like yours and fixed it by clearing cache etc etc.

Also it's not a "hack", it's literally user preferences stored in the ECU, the same thing can be done by a dealer using techstream....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
zombieite

If the same thing can be done by the dealer, does that also dim your high beams?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
not sure why someone would want to turn off the DRLs when you can install some cool looking LEDs instead

normally i run my DRLs with my Fogs at the same time...turns heads everytime
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
zombieite

I like to decide when my headlights are on or off, that's all.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieite View Post
I like to decide when my headlights are on or off, that's all.
get a spin knob and pull up on the hand brake and lock it into place in the lowest position...boom no more drl's and the car won't beep about your handbrake being up..redneck fix
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote