follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #43
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
this "208whp" thing is way blown out of proportion.

on that SAME dyno, what would another kit put down for whp? Thats the only way to compare. If the turbo's car put down 208, I guarantee that n/a cars are putting down low 120/130/140's probably.

hp/tq #'s are way too important on this forum(probably because they're low haha...gotta make ourselves feel better) but GAINS before/after tuning/mods/turbos/superchargers etc are the only accurate way to see exactly that, GAINS.

Buying this car and making it "fast" isn't smart from a money perspective.

Plus, this is the ONLY carb legal turbo kit out...CARB cert. is where all the money is going lol
Yes you're right, it's not smart from a money perspective when we could have all just bought faster cars right?

I was pointing out that if you're going to spend 5K on a FI kit why not spend it on something that gives MUCH better numbers and still be CARB ready.

I don't know what dyno that's on, and if the OP wants to take it to dynojet to give us numbers I'm sure CA has all the dynojets in the world, I'd honestly take back my words if that 208 whp ends up making 240-260whp and more torque on a dynojet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Good thing it's not your money. Looking at the dyno its what I would expect for a carb turbo kit and that tq looks real nice too. Maybe if they changed the turbo you can get more power but that prob would affect their CARB cert. You have everything you need for a DD.
Yeah good thing OP spent that money for us so we all can learn about the kit as a community. The only thing I'm seeing what this kit has is that nice torque and a great DD. I'm just not seeing it as a good bang for buck option. It's his car and his money and I'm glad he spent the money so we all can learn as a community.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (03-10-2016), DAEMANO (03-10-2016), Yoda (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #44
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS RS 1.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The dynojet idea doesn't sound too bad, maybe I'll take it for another run for 2nd look. Yes, the #s were lower than I expected.
Mr_YUzU_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #45
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Like I said, one of the reasons I got this kit was because they are the only local shop to me that develop and install their own turbo kit (and only CARB). Also I really did want to share this with the frs/brz community too, to be one of the first going this route.

Still looking to see who can put together a flex fuel kit to go along with this kit and retune more aggressive for track use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_YUzU_FRS For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-10-2016), strat61caster (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #46
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_YUzU_FRS View Post
Like I said, one of the reasons I got this kit was because they are the only local shop to me that develop and install their own turbo kit (and only CARB). Also I really did want to share this with the frs/brz community too, to be one of the first going this route.

Still looking to see who can put together a flex fuel kit to go along with this kit and retune more aggressive for track use.

Honestly I applaud you taking the plunge and trying the WORKS kit, I have no idea why the hostility toward a CARB legal turbo kit exists on the same forum that embraces phantom ESC . All the pro's of aftermarket turbo without the con's of dealing with smog cops in CA, sounds like a pretty good deal IMO
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86kahl For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (03-10-2016), CxG (04-01-2016), raven1231 (03-10-2016), strat61caster (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 PM   #47
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
this "208whp" thing is way blown out of proportion.

on that SAME dyno, what would another kit put down for whp? Thats the only way to compare. If the turbo's car put down 208, I guarantee that n/a cars are putting down low 120/130/140's probably.

hp/tq #'s are way too important on this forum(probably because they're low haha...gotta make ourselves feel better) but GAINS before/after tuning/mods/turbos/superchargers etc are the only accurate way to see exactly that, GAINS.

Buying this car and making it "fast" isn't smart from a money perspective.

Plus, this is the ONLY carb legal turbo kit out...CARB cert. is where all the money is going lol
Finally, a rational post...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (03-10-2016), CxG (04-01-2016), raven1231 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #48
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86kahl View Post
Honestly I applaud you taking the plunge and trying the WORKS kit, I have no idea why the hostility toward a CARB legal turbo kit exists on the same forum that embraces phantom ESC . All the pro's of aftermarket turbo without the con's of dealing with smog cops in CA, sounds like a pretty good deal IMO
LOL you got a good point about those ESC toys....ironically they still make a little over 208whp on dynojet. But I'm sure WORKS kit has more head room for power anyways.

Quote:

Yeah I'd say go to a DynoJet dyno I'm sure EVERYBODY is really interested in that myself included. And yeah thanks for posting it up give us an update on dynojet, you might actually be 240-260whp....I hope you are at least lol
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 12:03 AM   #49
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

Are you on ecutek? If you are really interested in going flex fuel, there are a handful of shops that might be able to help, mostly in the bay area. I'd hit-up @Elite Performance in Burlingame or Bill of @DeliciousTuning, who comes to Mann Engineering in Santa Clara every once in a while to do custom tunes. Another closer option is Snail Performance in Rocklin, but they are more known for wrxs and just are starting out with the 86 platform.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:14 AM   #50
Superstar

Drives: Honda
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Try a different dyno. Even some dynapacks read low. The dynos in the below link would be well over 200 whp on a different dynapack.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=102598&page=2
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #51
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Will try to get it on a dynojet soon. I'm just praying it don't read lower, lol.
But #s are only part of the review. We will see how everthing looks after a few thousand miles.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #52
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord09 View Post
Just curious, did your install include a Ecutek license/tune or was it flashed through a Tactrix cable?
Quote:
At first I thought it would come with ecutek license but no, it's flashed to the ECU only.
Appreciate the review!

Your vehicle's ECU does have an EcuTek license attached to it since we used EcuTek to flash in our ECU calibration.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #53
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
guys, keep in mind different dyno's will read VASTLY different from other dynos, or even the readings from the day before(weather etc).

Tough to "compare" different dynos. Best thing you can really do is a before/after turbo on the same dyno.
Shutter is correct. Each dyno will read different numbers from the same vehicle, sometimes drastically. This is case even with the same type/model of dyno (e.g. same model dynapack). For example, we had a customer with an RX7 read 127 whp on our dynapack and then read 157 whp on a different dynapack.

There are also the day-to-day differences that Shutter pointed out as well. Things like temperature, fuel quality, etc. By the same token, hardware differences will make a difference, like exhaust, as well as the fact that each vehicle stock will be slightly different and make more or less power than the next.

We've seen that our dyno reads low compared to most of the dynos we have been able to compare to. We sometimes prep customers having baselines performed by telling them we have a "heartbreaker" dyno (it's not the dyno to come to if you just want to see big numbers). Stock manual BRZ/FR-S's typically read between 145 to 150 whp on our dyno. Automatic models reading even lower.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #54
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WORKS View Post
Appreciate the review!

Your vehicle's ECU does have an EcuTek license attached to it since we used EcuTek to flash in our ECU calibration.
Oh, that is great, love to hear that. I will probably be coming back soon for flex fuel kit and custom tune, nice to have the license already.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_YUzU_FRS For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #55
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
LOL you got a good point about those ESC toys....ironically they still make a little over 208whp on dynojet. But I'm sure WORKS kit has more head room for power anyways.
Tell me about your personal experience with the current crop of ESC toys please.

Ironically I spent $2.5k on my Phantom ESC toy and OFT, installed it myself in about 2 hours and it dyno'd 223 WHP/207TQ on e85 at the same Church auto dyno posted by a few other members on the same hot day as 10 other cars. The Phantom ESC has a torque curve that only this Works Turbo Kit has come close to approaching. That toy (the ESC) has been an absolute blast, has run like a clock for over two years now and does everything I need it to do on the street. Headroom needed? Maybe if I was actually competing against someone. What percentage of F.I. upgraded owners are actually in serious competition on this board? Answer, the vast minority. So sure, spending $5-$6.5k for the same (or greater) output would make sense if it fit my needs, but it doesn't. For DD, AutoX, and goofing around at the drag strip, I can't imagine a better toy than an 86 with a Phantom ESC.

Lastly I say big ups to Works for putting out a CARB legal turbo kit that address a niche in the market. In its' current form it's probably both fun as hell and keeps people street legal (where it's obviously intended to be run). It will fill the needs of certain folks just like the Phantom ESC does, the "high end" Cosworth SC does, and other non-CARB certified F.I. kits do. The more variety the better.

Let's get back to talk about Works' kit. So far it looks like an interesting proposition.

DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #56
Mr_YUzU_FRS

Just dropped the car off at local dynojet. Will post up #s later.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr_YUzU_FRS For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-10-2016), Alltezza (03-10-2016), DAEMANO (03-10-2016), yourboyvic (12-03-2018)