follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 02-02-2022, 09:28 AM   #11117
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, obviously it's not a good idea to use it. I'll unhook everything before starting it again. Knowing the switch controls the entire system is what I needed to know. Now I understand why the plug has two contacts. One for the gauge and one for the switch.

I'm hoping its the wiring in the switch. If the cabling and the plug are bad I think it'll be pretty difficult to find and fix.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #11118
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
The compressor might not turn on or could turn on unexpectedly. Would remove the compressor and put on factory intake tube and switch off the ESC until you can fix it.

I really appreciate all this good advice. Question...I ran it for awhile with the compressor installed but no connections of any kind to it, while I got ready to complete the install. Wouldn't it be OK to leave it on under those circumstances?
Old 02-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #11119
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I would just leave it in place without being connected. If it has any restriction at all, it's very slight.
I was thinking about unplugging my meter to see what happens. But I'm scared. I'll bet it works fine without it. But like I said, I don't want to be sourcing a new compressor just in case.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:46 AM   #11120
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I would just leave it in place without being connected. If it has any restriction at all, it's very slight.
I was thinking about unplugging my meter to see what happens. But I'm scared. I'll bet it works fine without it. But like I said, I don't want to be sourcing a new compressor just in case.
I disconnected all the power and when I removed the meter I noticed that the base of the plug receptacle was a little loose.

Perhaps enough to make the connection bad. I tightened it, and all the connections inside the meter looked OK. I'm going to hook it back up and see what I have. I really hate touching wires on this thing, but have little choice. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #11121
Qwimby1

I think I got it. The locking ring on the plug was just loose enough. After I tightened it, the meter (so far) hasn't cut in and out. Disconnected everything first, then had to redo it al!. Sorry I got everyone all stirred up. Test drive later today. Hope I never have to touch wires on this thing again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qwimby1 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-03-2022), Target70 (02-02-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 05:40 AM   #11122
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
I think I got it. The locking ring on the plug was just loose enough. After I tightened it, the meter (so far) hasn't cut in and out. Disconnected everything first, then had to redo it al!. Sorry I got everyone all stirred up. Test drive later today. Hope I never have to touch wires on this thing again.
Always better to hear it was something trivial than something major.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Qwimby1 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #11123
Qwimby1

Long test drive and it's working fine. I'm not sure how much the meter will be needed to monitor it. I only had enough cable to mount it next to the trunk-release button, where I can't see it at all when driving. I think a simple two-post audio extension cable should work to extend it somewhere. It also looks like it'll be hard to see in bright light.

I notice the first boast phase more than the second, but it's definitely stronger. I have the rev-alarm light set at 6500 and I have to be really quick off the throttle when I see that, cause it'll go way north of 7000 in no time.

I wanted this gizmo because of the mild 5lb boost. I prefer for this motor to last.

I thank all of you for the good advice I've gotten.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #11124
Qwimby1

Potential problem spot?

I noticed that the three wires from the controller to the compressor lay right on top of the radiator hose, at least on my install. After a drive today they were very hot and the rubber insulation even seemed a little soft. I'm going to put some kind of heat insulation on both the wires and the hose before I drive it again.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:21 PM   #11125
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
I noticed that the three wires from the controller to the compressor lay right on top of the radiator hose, at least on my install. After a drive today they were very hot and the rubber insulation even seemed a little soft. I'm going to put some kind of heat insulation on both the wires and the hose before I drive it again.
My kit came with this plastic split tubing, which I put around the compressor wires. Also I would suggest you individually wrap or space the 3 connectors apart inside of any other insulation. At least one user had arcing burns between those connectors when vibrations or something caused the connectors to slightly come apart while being so close together.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:44 PM   #11126
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
My kit came with this plastic split tubing, which I put around the compressor wires. Also I would suggest you individually wrap or space the 3 connectors apart inside of any other insulation. At least one user had arcing burns between those connectors when vibrations or something caused the connectors to slightly come apart while being so close together.

What's up everyone so I've decided to raffle out my supercharger kit. For 15$ a spot 200$ spots you're more then welcome to buy multiple spots. I'm taking payment through PayPal email is alanp.1991@yahoo.com simply make the payment with and write ft86 phantom supercharger. Friends and family payment. Then send me a private message with your username so I can verify the payment. And with number spots you want. The 10th spin will win the kit.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:20 AM   #11127
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post

Good Point. I tied the three to the cable coming off he alternator as I see you have done. I'll incorporate your suggestion into my final fix.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #11128
Qwimby1

Observations after 2 weeks use.

Very satisfied. I wanted a mild boost to go easy on the engine, and 5 pounds gives me all I want. I really like the ability to control when I want it. I've figured out just how much throttle to engage 2 or 5 pounds. I don't use it very often, but it's really nice just knowing it's there waiting if I call.

I'm also very impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship. My concerns about lack of replacement parts are somewhat allayed by that. Just using it and seeing how well it performs helps in that matter, though I know there are no guarantees.

Most of my getting used to it are runs between 4-7K in 4th or 5th. It's going to take a little getting used to in lower gears because it winds so fast. I have my warning light set at 6500 and I barely have time to get off the gas before it's at 7500. This is a serious, quality piece of gear. I think I read that he only made 200 of them. What a shame.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #11129
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
On @Qwimby1 note. I'm having a hard time filling up spots for my twin phantom supercharger set up. So I'm letting the whole kit go for 1800$ that's two full phantom kits for the price of one. You'll receive everything you need to run the kits together and everything you need to run them separately if you want to just keep one and sell the other one. I can ship four of the batteries but I can't ship the starter battery since it has gone bad. And of course you will have to cover the shipping cost.

Last edited by BlOody_BoOger; 03-25-2022 at 10:35 PM.
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #11130
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
On @Qwimby1 note. I'm having a hard time filling up spots for my twin phantom supercharger set up. So I'm letting the whole kit go for 1500$ that's two full phantom kits for the price of one. You'll receive everything you need to run the kits together and everything you need to run them separately if you want to just keep one and sell the other one. I can ship four of the batteries but I can't ship the starter battery since it has gone bad. And of course you will have to cover the shipping cost.

Whats ur plan after??

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive