follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
xeroshoes

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited, White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problem installing STI short throw shifter... any help?

I picked up the STI short throw shifter to put in my 2017 BRZ Limited... and ran into a glitch that I don't know how to resolve.

There's a rubber boot that goes around the shifter, where it connects to the transmission.

I can't figure out how to get the original one OFF... let alone getting the new one ON.

On
he casually says "you need to move that aside"... but I and a local Subaru mechanic spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to do that, with no luck.

Anyone?
xeroshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroshoes View Post
I picked up the STI short throw shifter to put in my 2017 BRZ Limited... and ran into a glitch that I don't know how to resolve.

There's a rubber boot that goes around the shifter, where it connects to the transmission.

I can't figure out how to get the original one OFF... let alone getting the new one ON.

On
he casually says "you need to move that aside"... but I and a local Subaru mechanic spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to do that, with no luck.

Anyone?

Dude the rubber boot is a bitch to get off. You literally have to yank on the thing and most likely you’ll probably have to cut into it. This is pretty well documented on several threads here. Sorry I can’t offer more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
xeroshoes

Hmmm... I can't find those other threads.

And while I could definitely cut the existing boot off... then I'm stumped about how to get the new one back ON.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm... I can't find those other threads.

And while I could definitely cut the existing boot off... then I'm stumped about how to get the new one back ON.

It’s actually easier to get on than off surprisingly. You just have to stretch it and work it all the way down until it’s in position. Think of it as a stretchy tube that will sit at the base of the linkage.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
xeroshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
It’s actually easier to get on than off surprisingly. You just have to stretch it and work it all the way down until it’s in position. Think of it as a stretchy tube that will sit at the base of the linkage.
I'm trying to picture what you're describing.

It seems like there are only 2 options:
  1. Put the entire boot over the shifter first (I can't figure out how to get the shifter through the TINY hole on the top of the boot)... then connect the transmission... then wiggle the boot over the linkage, or...
  2. The opposite -- feed the whole boot over the transmission rod first... but I still run into the issue of working that TINY hole around the linkage.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by xeroshoes; 12-26-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 12-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:

1. Put the entire boot over the shifter first (I can't figure out how to get the shifter through the TINY hole on the top of the boot)... then connect the transmission... then wiggle the boot over the linkage, or...
  2. The opposite -- feed the whole boot over the transmission rod first... but I still run into the issue of working that TINY hole around the linkage.

Am I missing something?

No, you got it. I promise that the boot does stretch and there is enough room to work it from either end. You just have to struggle with it.

You may want to get a hair dryer to heat the rubber up too. That may make it a bit more pliable and stretchy.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:

Am I missing something?
Maybe try referencing this: https://tunerscanvas.com/project86/h...er-86-brz-frs/

there's an image in there that shows how you way deal with the dust boot.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
xeroshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
No, you got it. I promise that the boot does stretch and there is enough room to work it from either end. You just have to struggle with it.

You may want to get a hair dryer to heat the rubber up too. That may make it a bit more pliable and stretchy.
HA! I think I got it. I somehow got the vertical hole over the shifter, then cinched up the horizontal:

Starting here, I can connect everything and then it's pretty simple to pull the transmission side around.

THANKS.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
HA! I think I got it. I somehow got the vertical hole over the shifter, then cinched up the horizontal:

Starting here, I can connect everything and then it's pretty simple to pull the transmission side around.

THANKS.
Yeah! That's it. Happy shifting - I sure love my shifter and I'm sure you will too.