follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #15
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Doesn't mean you can't take a quick look yourself first.
I do nothing beyond checking my oil and adding windshield washer fluid to my cars these days and would still check the amp plugs before taking the car in.
I do all my own work... after the warranty is up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-11-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
I have a 2020 Hakone Edition that has mostly been in the garage since I purchased it in late October. I commented here when I purchased it that the new head unit is nice in that it has Android Auto. With my latest update on my Galaxy S9 to Android 10, it mostly works pretty well. However, the sound quality of the head unit SUCKS! No bass on very tepid mid range. Everything sounds tinny.

Today, I put on a fairly bass rich classical music channel on FM while the car was stopped, opened the drivers door, and listened to the door speaker. NADA, NO SOUND, NOTHING. There is a speaker in the door as I can see it when I shine a flashlight into the grill. However, for some reason, it doesn't appear to be driven by the head unit.

If you have a 2020 Toyota 86, let me know if you are experiencing the same problem. TCOAT, I think you have a Hakone edition now. Check this out.

Thanks, all.

Doug
Find anything out yet?
Old 03-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #17
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would just take it in, but you could test it out more by playing with the balance left to right and confirm the loss of sound is just in the door speaker and not the tweeter or rear speaker too.

A person out of warranty would pull off the door card and check the connection at the speaker to see if it simply wiggled loose, as if it wasn't fully clicked/seated in. If there is no change then a multimeter could be used to confirm that there is no power running to the speaker. If there is then swapping door speakers would confirm whether the speaker has a manufacture malfunction/failure. If there is no power then it would be necessary to trace the wires back to the source to also check ground connections for anything loose, cut or that's being improperly grounded then continuing to the headunit.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I would just take it in, but you could test it out more by playing with the balance left to right and confirm the loss of sound is just in the door speaker and not the tweeter or rear speaker too.

A person out of warranty would pull off the door card and check the connection at the speaker to see if it simply wiggled loose, as if it wasn't fully clicked/seated in. If there is no change then a multimeter could be used to confirm that there is no power running to the speaker. If there is then swapping door speakers would confirm whether the speaker has a manufacture malfunction/failure. If there is no power then it would be necessary to trace the wires back to the source to also check ground connections for anything loose, cut or that's being improperly grounded then continuing to the headunit.
Or... You could start with making sure the amp is plugged in. Then start all the rest of the trouble shooting.
soundman98 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #19
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Or... You could start with making sure the amp is plugged in. Then start all the rest of the trouble shooting.
Isn’t it just happening to the driver’s side? Wouldn’t that eliminate the amp as a possibility unless the connector was angled weird or some single wire was damaged on the connector?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Isn’t it just happening to the driver’s side? Wouldn’t that eliminate the amp as a possibility unless the connector was angled weird or some single wire was damaged on the connector?
Each side plugs into it's own spot so very easy for one side to be unplugged and the other fine. It is just the first thing to check before digging into doors and HUs. It is literally a 30 second task.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #21
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Each side plugs into it's own spot so very easy for one side to be unplugged and the other fine. It is just the first thing to check before digging into doors and HUs. It is literally a 30 second task.
Is that new on the 2017+ or 2020+ cars? The right plug is a power/ground (pretty sure), and the left plug is in and out.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 03-12-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
Is that new on the 2017+ or 2020+ cars? The right plug is a power/ground (pretty sure), and the left plug is in and out.
Are they not separated in the amp receptacle? I have never pulled it but looking at it it appears to have three separate plugs. Maybe not. Still worth a wiggle though even if on one.

We don't even know if it is one or both door speakers. If both then even if together it could be the plug.

Not sure why there is so much resistance to doing this very simple first check on here.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #23
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Are they not separated in the amp receptacle? I have never pulled it but looking at it it appears to have three separate plugs. Maybe not. Still worth a wiggle though even if on one.

We don't even know if it is one or both door speakers. If both then even if together it could be the plug.

Not sure why there is so much resistance to doing this very simple first check on here.
Yeah, unless they changed it, the left plug is a larger plug that has the four door speaker wires coming in on one side and out on the other, and the right plug is a power and ground.

I just went off his first post, which said his driver's side door speaker wasn't working. I thought you had read something I missed.

It is definitely worth a check.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #24
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, unless they changed it, the left plug is a larger plug that has the four door speaker wires coming in on one side and out on the other, and the right plug is a power and ground.

I just went off his first post, which said his driver's side door speaker wasn't working. I thought you had read something I missed.

It is definitely worth a check.

Ahhhh. I have never unplugged it just peaked in the trunk when I was considering upgrading. It looks like they are separate clips for each side but apparently not.

He has only said he checked the driver door but from his description and total lack of bass I would guess that both woofers are out.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #25
etherdude

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition, 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi all. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Let me answer some questions:
  1. Both door speakers are definitely not working. I did a lot of playing with balance, bass controls, left/right and front/back and listened to each door up close and personal. The dash speakers and rear speakers work. I made sure that the speakers were installed by shining a flashlight through the speaker grill.
  2. I did take it into the dealer this last Wednesday and explained all of this. I sat for two hours, didn't hear anything so went outside and found my car. I went in and indicated my displeasure that it apparently had not been worked on. Told them I wanted my keys and called my sales rep (who I have known since 2010 and purchased 5 new cars from) and explained I was far from satisfied.
  3. The service writer came running up and said "We pulled your door cards and the speakers don't work. We have ordered two speakers. We will call you when they come in". I thought about it and went back to him and said "I disagree with your diagnosis".
  4. SOME DATA - Speakers that fail tend to sound raspy and fail over some a finite period of time. They don't just "not work". In fact, they have never worked. It is unlikely both speakers failed at the same time which would have been prior to when I purchased the car right off the boat at under 5 miles on the ODO. My car came on the first shipment and was the first Hakone delivered in New England. The boat arrived on October 15 in New Jersey and I took delivery October 28. Was there an installation mistake in the factory (with the amplifier) or at the port (if they put the head units in there)?
  5. I asked if they had pulled the head unit or checked the connections at the amplifier. He said no. I replied that: "Then you did not do your job."
  6. I got handed off to the Service Manager who had been out when I came in with the car. We both went out to the car. He thought he could do an electronic speaker test like he does on other older head units and found he could not. He allowed that he didn't know this new HU and he agreed with my diagnosis and admitted they should have looked at it more thoroughly. I showed him where the amplifier was in the trunk and suggested they should look carefully at it as well as the connections on the back of the head unit.
  7. I take my 2015 FR-S in for 70K service next Wednesday. I will set up an appointment with them at that time to get the 2020 fixed, with the Service Manager looking over it personally. AND I expect them to provide a rental car so I don't waste more hours while they educate themselves on the new head unit in this car.

In the mean time...I love driving the car and just await getting good "vibes" from it at the same time. 450 miles and counting!

Doug
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etherdude For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:
Hi all. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Let me answer some questions:
  1. Both door speakers are definitely not working. I did a lot of playing with balance, bass controls, left/right and front/back and listened to each door up close and personal. The dash speakers and rear speakers work. I made sure that the speakers were installed by shining a flashlight through the speaker grill.
  2. I did take it into the dealer this last Wednesday and explained all of this. I sat for two hours, didn't hear anything so went outside and found my car. I went in and indicated my displeasure that it apparently had not been worked on. Told them I wanted my keys and called my sales rep (who I have known since 2010 and purchased 5 new cars from) and explained I was far from satisfied.
  3. The service writer came running up and said "We pulled your door cards and the speakers don't work. We have ordered two speakers. We will call you when they come in". I thought about it and went back to him and said "I disagree with your diagnosis".
  4. SOME DATA - Speakers that fail tend to sound raspy and fail over some a finite period of time. They don't just "not work". In fact, they have never worked. It is unlikely both speakers failed at the same time which would have been prior to when I purchased the car right off the boat at under 5 miles on the ODO. My car came on the first shipment and was the first Hakone delivered in New England. The boat arrived on October 15 in New Jersey and I took delivery October 28. Was there an installation mistake in the factory (with the amplifier) or at the port (if they put the head units in there)?
  5. I asked if they had pulled the head unit or checked the connections at the amplifier. He said no. I replied that: "Then you did not do your job."
  6. I got handed off to the Service Manager who had been out when I came in with the car. We both went out to the car. He thought he could do an electronic speaker test like he does on other older head units and found he could not. He allowed that he didn't know this new HU and he agreed with my diagnosis and admitted they should have looked at it more thoroughly. I showed him where the amplifier was in the trunk and suggested they should look carefully at it as well as the connections on the back of the head unit.
  7. I take my 2015 FR-S in for 70K service next Wednesday. I will set up an appointment with them at that time to get the 2020 fixed, with the Service Manager looking over it personally. AND I expect them to provide a rental car so I don't waste more hours while they educate themselves on the new head unit in this car.

In the mean time...I love driving the car and just await getting good "vibes" from it at the same time. 450 miles and counting!

Doug
See! NOBODY, even the dealer techs, want to start with the amp! When the rest of the speakers work and the woofers do not then where does the issue probably lay?
Old 03-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #27
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
See! NOBODY, even the dealer techs, want to start with the amp! When the rest of the speakers work and the woofers do not then where does the issue probably lay?
Well, since both sides aren't working then the amp is the best place to start like you said. If they have another amplifier in stock then swapping it would be easiest to see if the amp failed. If not then I would use a multimeter to see if the amp is getting power and ground well, and then to see if it is sending and receiving a good signal. If everything is well there then the door cards need to be pulled, and the harness needs to be checked to confirm there is a signal reaching the door speakers.

It is unlikely the speakers are bad. Two speakers failing at the same time without warning is odd and the circuitry in a speaker is very basic. @etherdude were the door speakers ever working? The speakers are really simple with a wire going in and one going out, which can be bench tested, as you can see:

The 2020 headunits might have an internal problem, but it seems more likely that it would be a harness issue because they probably just made an adapter (if it was even needed) to make the 2020 headunit work with older harnesses.
Tcoat (03-13-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 11:47 PM   #28
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
...[*]The service writer came running up and said "We pulled your door cards and the speakers don't work. We have ordered two speakers. We will call you when they come in". I thought about it and went back to him and said "I disagree with your diagnosis".
i agree with your diagnosis. it ought to be an amp issue(crapshoot as to the issue, but definitely the amp), as blowing 2 speakers out is a low possibility.

i don't like people that prefer to stop at fixing the symptoms instead of investigating the problem.
Tcoat (03-13-2020)