follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
MidnightFumes

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Concerning shift

So I've had my AT FR-S for about a year, it's always had a pretty hard shift in my opinion compared to other cars I've had but today I happened to forget it was in "paddle shifter" mode and before I could shift it on my own from 1st to 2nd it did it by itself, but shifted extremely hard (threw me forward in my seat pretty much) I drove for about another hour or so that day and it seemed like nothing was really different, but that hard shift kinda concerned me considering I never experienced it before, and I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why that happened

This might be a noob question but I haven't been driving very long and couldn't quite find a similar situation someone has had online from my searches.

Also if this is something out of the ordinary, some background: it is coming up on 100,000 miles soon and i haven't done much maintenance yet other than the regular oil changes.
MidnightFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightFumes For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightFumes View Post
So I've had my AT FR-S for about a year, it's always had a pretty hard shift in my opinion compared to other cars I've had but today I happened to forget it was in "paddle shifter" mode and before I could shift it on my own from 1st to 2nd it did it by itself, but shifted extremely hard (threw me forward in my seat pretty much) I drove for about another hour or so that day and it seemed like nothing was really different, but that hard shift kinda concerned me considering I never experienced it before, and I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why that happened

This might be a noob question but I haven't been driving very long and couldn't quite find a similar situation someone has had online from my searches.

Also if this is something out of the ordinary, some background: it is coming up on 100,000 miles soon and i haven't done much maintenance yet other than the regular oil changes.
Maybe transmission needs it's fluid changed

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-15-2020), The Red One (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightFumes View Post

Howdy, MidnightFumes and welcome to our forum -

If the AT fluid hasn't been changed, I'd suggest you go with @Ashikabi 's suggestion and have the fluid changed.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Wait, an upshift threw you forward on your seat?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Wait, an upshift threw you forward on your seat?
If the transmission was in first and went very swiftly into second before the engine rpms could go down quick enough and match, that would cause a forward lurch when the trans and engine engaged, right?

OP I wouldn't worry about any lasting damage. These transmissions seem to be able to take a beating on stock power. I've made enough terrible shifts I'm surprised I haven't shattered my clutch yet (granted it's manual and you're rocking auto). Sounds like you need to swap fluids though.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
If the transmission was in first and went very swiftly into second before the engine rpms could go down quick enough and match, that would cause a forward lurch when the trans and engine engaged, right?

OP I wouldn't worry about any lasting damage. These transmissions seem to be able to take a beating on stock power. I've made enough terrible shifts I'm surprised I haven't shattered my clutch yet (granted it's manual and you're rocking auto). Sounds like you need to swap fluids though.
Yes, the car would lurch forward under those circumstances, but that would push the driver back into their seat, not throw them forward. The only thing that would throw them forward would be sudden acceleration in a rearward direction.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes, the car would lurch forward under those circumstances, but that would push the driver back into their seat, not throw them forward. The only thing that would throw them forward would be sudden acceleration in a rearward direction.
I lurch forward every time I shift up(when I clutch in). Maybe it just took longer than expected to go into gear?

Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I lurch forward every time I shift up(when I clutch in). Maybe it just took longer than expected to go into gear?

That's kinda what I was thinking. Could be entirely driver perception, rather than any actual mechanical happenings. If the AT let you hit the fuel cut before shifting it might seem like sudden deceleration when really you just stopped accelerating suddenly.

Could also be exactly what you said, driver expected to be pushed back and prepared for that, but it came a fraction of a second late.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
OP sounds like has a few years of previous owner history he can't account for. I was dding an auto 86 for a few years and I do not remember any shifts being hard, just typical smooth torque converter engagement every time. Hard shifts should not be normal for the AT.. Technically the AT fluid should've been changed 40,000 miles ago so should start with that.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
PatSciFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series
Another possibility

Could it be that the rev limiter kicked in?
PatSciFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #11
Celica00

Drives: 86
Quote:
Ah I see. My brain has the hardest time visualizing what would cause forward vs backward lurching.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
sounds like you need an atf change

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
daniloneil8

Drives: FRS
100k mile service.
Time to spend some money.

Brake flush
Brake pad inspect
Rear Diff fluid
Steering fluid