follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2016, 04:26 AM   #1
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Tinting In Oregon

So, I feel like such a criminal. OR law says 35%, but in the tint threads some mentioned getting it darker (no receipt, cash under table, etc.)

How would you even approach a tinting shop and ask them to do something illegal? Like slip a 50 across the counter or what?

I know, it sounds silly but my BMW came from out of state, was darker, and I loved it

All we know is.... He's called The Stig
FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Call the shops, tell them what you want, and they'll let you know. the only downside on getting work done in cash is trying to get warranty work done. 503 motoring is who I used in Portland. They did a good job. I see you from s few posts your from Eugene. There's a shop in Albany/Corvallis that has good rep. Illsee if I can get that info.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
Call the shops, tell them what you want, and they'll let you know. the only downside on getting work done in cash is trying to get warranty work done. 503 motoring is who I used in Portland. They did a good job. I see you from s few posts your from Eugene. There's a shop in Albany/Corvallis that has good rep. Illsee if I can get that info.
Oh that's okay. If nothing else, I go up to Portland fairly frequently, if 503 Motoring answers my email in a way that alleviates my concerns, I'd be happy to take it up there to do it.

I do have emails in to a couple places here in Eugene.

What bugs me though is everyone says they use the absolute best quality film, but out of 3 that said it, they all 3 said different ones!!! How the heck am I supposed to know which one?

Tinting is one thing I'll pay what it takes to get an absolute top quality job. I would freak out if the tinting started to turn purple or bubbled, even if it was under warranty!

And I think tinting may be more expensive down here, but I wouldn't swear to it yet.

Anyway, thanks!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 AM   #4
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
Oh that's okay. If nothing else, I go up to Portland fairly frequently, if 503 Motoring answers my email in a way that alleviates my concerns, I'd be happy to take it up there to do it.

I do have emails in to a couple places here in Eugene.

What bugs me though is everyone says they use the absolute best quality film, but out of 3 that said it, they all 3 said different ones!!! How the heck am I supposed to know which one?

Tinting is one thing I'll pay what it takes to get an absolute top quality job. I would freak out if the tinting started to turn purple or bubbled, even if it was under warranty!

And I think tinting may be more expensive down here, but I wouldn't swear to it yet.

Anyway, thanks!
I got my tint done in October of 2012 from 503 and haven't had a single issue with it changing color or bubbling. I recommend them. It was around 220 I believe to get mine done.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
It's like $350 here for the most "known" tinting place. No idea if they're the best.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
Ragua007

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So, I feel like such a criminal. OR law says 35%, but in the tint threads some mentioned getting it darker (no receipt, cash under table, etc.)

How would you even approach a tinting shop and ask them to do something illegal? Like slip a 50 across the counter or what?

I know, it sounds silly but my BMW came from out of state, was darker, and I loved it

Go to Vancouver and get it done, if you're worried about having issues or paying extra for higher tint. I went to Ultimate Window Tinting in HWY 99 and it was like $275 for 20% all around. Amazing quality work and it's been almost three years and mine still looks great too. They'll tell you the legal limit and warn you that you'll be over it but that's it.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Rio

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S ハチ
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
You want the best? Call Eric at http://sinsperformance.com/ I am helping to build his website and his work is awesome. I am heading over next month to get mine done.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
You want the best? Call Eric at http://sinsperformance.com/ I am helping to build his website and his work is awesome. I am heading over next month to get mine done.
I'll take a look. How long has he been in business?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
Rio

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S ハチ
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll take a look. How long has he been in business?
About 12 yrs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Drives: 2013 Crystal Black Silica BRZ-L
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Garage
I went with Highline Customs great job tint is awesome and you get a columbia employee store pass for while you wait

Previous Cars: 1970 Chevelle 350 (crashed still have in CA), 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (sold)
thehapaone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thehapaone For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-27-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #11
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Lots of helpful input in this thread. What I have to say is just my personal opinion on some of the places that have been mentioned, so take that for what you will.

I would advise against going to 503 Motoring; I had a very bad experience with them where they did a shoddy job on my $600 clear bra. When I took it back to them to have redone, they put a long scratch on the lip of my bumper, and blamed it on me saying that it was there when they removed the old shield (even though they never called me to ask about it, nor did I drive the car in the week I brought it back to them as it was raining and I was not to let the shield get wet for the curing process if it could be avoided.)

Long story short they blamed me for damage they inflicted, made me sign a waiver that said they didn't do it and repaired it only in good faith before they would give me my keys back, and the owner sent me a completely manipulative, unprofessional email the likes of which I would expect from someone in high school.

503 Motoring also uses Suntek (carbon-based) film, which (IMO) is inferior to ceramic-based films like many of the ones offered by Llumar - both for heat and UV rejection.

I just got my car tinted a month ago at Ultimate Window tinting in Vancouver - never got asked questions about the tint level I wanted, got a printed receipt to have for my records, and they did a fantastic job; they took their time with it as I asked, and I was so satisfied with it. They honored the original quote they gave me even though they had made a mistake in the calculation, so I ended up paying $40 less than what I should have even though I had no proof of this other than the name of the person I spoke with over the phone that gave it to me and the note I wrote the quote down on.

Here is mine with Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle 30 - love the look, privacy, and heat rejection.

Last edited by Ammunition; 07-28-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ammunition For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-28-2016), Rio (07-28-2016), Ultramaroon (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 12:50 AM   #12
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
Lots of helpful input in this thread. What I have to say is just my personal opinion on some of the places that have been mentioned, so take that for what you will.

I would advise against going to 503 Motoring; I had a very bad experience with them where they did a shoddy job on my $600 clear bra. When I took it back to them to have redone, they put a long scratch on the lip of my bumper, and blamed it on me saying that it was there when they removed the old shield (even though they never called me to ask about it, nor did I drive the car in the week I brought it back to them as it was raining and I was not to let the shield get wet for the curing process if it could be avoided.)

Long story short they blamed me for damage they inflicted, made me sign a waiver that said they didn't do it and repaired it only in good faith before they would give me my keys back, and the owner sent me a completely manipulative, unprofessional email the likes of which I would expect from someone in high school.

503 Motoring also uses Suntek (carbon-based) film, which (IMO) is inferior to ceramic-based films like many of the ones offered by Llumar - both for heat and UV rejection.

I just got my car tinted a month ago at Ultimate Window tinting in Vancouver - never got asked questions about the tint level I wanted, got a printed receipt to have for my records, and they did a fantastic job; they took their time with it as I asked, and I was so satisfied with it. They honored the original quote they gave me even though they had made a mistake in the calculation, so I ended up paying $40 less than what I should have even though I had no proof of this other than the name of the person I spoke with over the phone that gave it to me and the note I wrote the quote down on.

Here is mine with Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle 30 - love the look, privacy, and heat rejection.

Wow, that car is beautiful and the tint is absolutely perfect!

Old 07-28-2016, 01:11 AM   #13
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wow, that car is beautiful and the tint is absolutely perfect!
Thank you!

I forgot to mention that another reason I went with a Llumar film is that they offer a lifetime warranty on their tint work; that is extended to any Llumar installer in the United States.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ammunition For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-28-2016), Rio (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #14
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
Thank you!

I forgot to mention that another reason I went with a Llumar film is that they offer a lifetime warranty on their tint work; that is extended to any Llumar installer in the United States.
Pm'd you. Yeah I also found that out about 3M today. Any 3M tint shop can do warranty work, and it's lifetime too.