follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Nice tint level. ceramic or metallic? also nice Sienna
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargy View Post
Nice tint level. ceramic or metallic? also nice Sienna
It is only metallic. Thanks regarding the Swagger Wagon. I am a little biased, but, I think it is the best looking van out there when you get the SE version.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
Demandred7

First, an update regarding the tint. I was a little late getting home from work Monday night and as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was down for the count and then forgot to update. Anyway, night time visibility is decent, so, no concerns there. I did however notice some imperfections in the tint. The tint shop said that it can take as long as two weeks for all of it to cure properly (depending on the weather) and not to touch it and see them in two weeks if there are still issues. And for all of you about to say "they just want you to forget or not bother following up", don't worry, I will.

I let the car bake in the sun for both Tues and Wed and 75-80% of the imperfections cleared themselves up. Took a drive by the tint shop today (Wed) and tied in with them and discussed the remaining imperfections and received reassurances that patience is the best course of action. There is a lifetime warranty on the tint anyway, so, I have the luxury of time (my thoughts, not their words).

The Beat Sonic shark fin antenna arrived yesterday from Japan (supposedly yesterday (neither my wife nor I heard any knock or doorbell (Thanks Canada Post))). Went over to the Post office today and picked it up. Once I got it home, I have to say that I was pretty impressed at the packaging. I thought that I would take a photo of it in the box, but who am I kidding, I am not the first person to buy one of these things. Anyway, ran out of time to install before work tonight, so, install will most likely be tomorrow. I will take some pics once it is installed.

And finally on a completely different tangent, I was playing with the radio during my driving around today and discovered the ASR feature (not to be confused with ASL). The acronymn is misleading, but, its impact to any mp3/ipod music is worthwhile mentioning. I have tuned the stock radio to the "Feel" category so that it pumps out some decent bass, but, it seemed to be lacking some mid-range depth. However, by turning on ASR, it noticeably fills out the mid-range sounds. Quite a pleasant surprise of a find (I guess I should get around to reading the manual for both the radio and the car). I have to say that despite its not so attractive appearance, the stock head unit is quite useable and sounds good (once you figure out its features).
The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
Wolfking (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Demandred7

First DIY

Well, this is my first DIY - the Beat Sonic shark fin antenna. The install is pretty simple other than the lining it up part. I was ultra paranoid because it is quite difficult to correct once on there. One thing that I noticed before the install which I knew would make things a little more complicated was that the original base of the RC antenna was not 100% straight in the first place (sorry I didn't take a picture of that). Anyway, I got it as good as I could get it. The last pic in the series appears like it is misaligned, but, when I view it in person, I don't see that it is, perhaps it is just the way that the light hits it. Anyway, I certainly think that it has a much better look than the original antenna.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Your car looks great and thanks soooooooooo much for the tint chart. I'm on the same fence your were on. The 30% looks great!
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfking For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
Luke.Cariveau
"Fast Looking Slow Car"

Drives: 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I'm loving that color!
Luke.Cariveau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luke.Cariveau For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Tint and shark fin look awesome!

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #22
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfking View Post
Your car looks great and thanks soooooooooo much for the tint chart. I'm on the same fence your were on. The 30% looks great!
Thanks, it is so hard to pick between the two based off of the tiny samples that they have at the tint shops. I totally stumbled on the chart after a google image search, but, since I found it useful, I thought others might too. On a sunny day 30 is perfect. On cloudy days (or in the shade), you really notice the difference between 30 and 35.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #23
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke.Cariveau View Post
I'm loving that color!
The red really grows on you. Ironically, it wasn't my first pick, but in hindsight, it should have been up there in my top colours of choice.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #24
msile

Drives: ISF
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
The red really grows on you. Ironically, it wasn't my first pick, but in hindsight, it should have been up there in my top colours of choice.
Me too. And the black and red combo looks awesome.
2013 Scion FR-S - Firestorm Red
2014 Lexus GS F-Sport - White / 2015 Lexus RCF - Blue (Nov Delivery)
msile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #25
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by msile View Post
Me too. And the black and red combo looks awesome.
I have seen some that have gone to extreme with the black and red combo by tinting their tail lights and side markers. I have to say the side markers are tempting, but, I would be too worried about someone ramming into the back of me if I tinted the tail lights.

I was thinking of fog lights and a spoiler as next steps, but, it might end up being only a spoiler. I have to save up for that one though and then there is the decision to go with the GT86 OE style or something more like the Five Axis. My best friend says "skip the spoiler all together" for a cleaner look. This car somewhat reminds me of the Acura RSX that I had in that it can get away with or without a spoiler.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #26
msile

Drives: ISF
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
I have seen some that have gone to extreme with the black and red combo by tinting their tail lights and side markers. I have to say the side markers are tempting, but, I would be too worried about someone ramming into the back of me if I tinted the tail lights.

I was thinking of fog lights and a spoiler as next steps, but, it might end up being only a spoiler. I have to save up for that one though and then there is the decision to go with the GT86 OE style or something more like the Five Axis. My best friend says "skip the spoiler all together" for a cleaner look. This car somewhat reminds me of the Acura RSX that I had in that it can get away with or without a spoiler.
I have tinted the front and side turn signals. Not planning on the rear as I think the red blends in nicely with the firestorm. I will be getting 5AD rear spoiler next week. will take pics of the setup then.
2013 Scion FR-S - Firestorm Red
2014 Lexus GS F-Sport - White / 2015 Lexus RCF - Blue (Nov Delivery)
msile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msile For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (08-31-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #27
Demandred7

I feel like a superhero in this car. I find myself wanting someone to tailgate me so that I can absolutely fly through a roundabout at twice the speed that they are either capable of going or willing to go. It is a guilty pleasure. This car has a limitless appetite for curves. I know, I know, most of you are saying, "thank you captain obvious," but, seriously when you come from a regular appliance of a car, you never knew what you were missing until you have driven this car.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
Demandred7

Came out of the Walmart at Fairview Mall only to find some prick driving a POS Montana parked entirely too close and dented my passenger side door. If there wasn't any witnesses I was sorely tempted to throttle his car with my fist. I am so pissed!!! Took a picture of his plate instead (for all the good it will do me). My perfect door now has a small dent/crease. I will talk to some shops and people that might know what to do, but, right now I just wish I had seen the mother f*#$?er and knocked his lights out.