follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
TytheToyotaGuy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD Oil Sensor sandwich woes - please help

Been wracking my brain for hours and not able to find a solution, looking for help from anyone who has successfully installed the TRD Oil Filter sandwich sensor plate or something similar. PN# MS131-18001 http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/trd-...l#.XWxWsuhKiUk. It seems like this should be simple but I'm having a very hard time. I bought an Innovative MTX-D Oil Pressure / Temp gauge and the sensors don't fit into the ports more than about a half thread.

I basically have 2 options. Find new sensors/gauges that have the right threads, or get a new sandwich plate. Here's what I have been able to piece together so far.

I know that the sensors are 1/8" NPT per Innovative's documentation. No where in all the internets can I find what the threads are in the TRD sandwich plate, but I remeber before buying it seeing somewhere that it had 2 1/8" ports. The best I can guess, they are 1/8 BSPT as that is what the factory oil pressure sender is, per this post HERE discussing using the same gauge I have and the factory location.

I have found 1/8 BSPT to NPT adapters, but that won't work with the temp sender as the opening is too small for the probe to go through into the oil.
I have searching like crazy to find different senders that are 1/8 BSPT, but every time I search it just returns "did you mean, 1/8 NPT?" Innovative has a pretty exhaustive list of replacement parts for their gauges and it doesn't appear to be an option directly from them.

I also found this post where someone believes the threads are just poorly cut and was able to tap them out to 1/8 NPT. HERE

With that seeming like a bust, I've also explored getting a new sandwich plate. which has also proven to be harder than you'd think. There are several options that I can confirm have 1/8 NPT fittings like the Mishimoto and Perrin, but neither seem to be tall enough to fit over the lip around our oil filter and the Perrin doesn't appear to have clearance for a temp probe if you read the reviews there, and I cannot find a single guide or post where someone successfully used one. All I can find are people using the Mishimoto thermostat plate but I will not be installing an oil cooler with this so I'd rather not go down that road.

Summary;

If you have successfully installed a TRD sandwich plate, can you please confirm what threads the ports are and point me in the direction of the exact sensors you used that fit? All I can find are 1/8" NPT sensors which do not fit and yes i have googled "1/8 BPT temperature sensor" in numerous wordings and all it finds me are 1/8 NPT ones and adapters.

OR

If you have found another sensor plate with 2+ 1/8" NPT that for sure fits gives you enough clearance over the lip where our oil filter screws in can you please link it. Everything I've found either doesn't give me enough clearance or is a thermostat plate for adding an oil cooler which will not work for me as I'm running the Subaru forester water to oil cooler.

OR do I just get a 1/8 NPT tap and tap the TRD and hope for the best? I'm past the 30 day return period anyway...
TytheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I had an 1/8th" NPT oil temp sensor installed on my Mishimoto thermostatic sandwich plate. Make sure you use thread sealant tape on it! I can confirm that mine went all the way in. What are you using to thread it in? Since it's a TRD part, why not call Toyota parts and ask if it's BSP or NPT?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TytheToyotaGuy View Post

OR do I just get a 1/8 NPT tap and tap the TRD and hope for the best? I'm past the 30 day return period anyway...
Yes, install and move on. Quit overthinking it.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #4
platypus01

Drives: DAR
the trd site lists that part as having "1/8PT" ports:
https://www.trdparts.jp/interior/meter.html

some light reading on pipe threads suggests that, in japan, PT == BSPT:
https://trimantec.com/blogs/t/thread...guide#PT-Chart

you might try searching for [BS]PT sensors via uk/jp proxies or something.

defi makes some 1/8PT sensors:
https://www.defi-shop.com/installation/sensor/

greddy makes some 1/8PT sensors:
http://www.greddy.com/products/elect...e-accessories/
https://www.shopgreddy.com/collectio...ducts/16401x0x

i have no experience with any of these parts.
platypus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:11 AM   #5
DaveB.inVa

Drives: 2016 BRZ Premium
I had a similar issue with the Blitz plate I'm using for an oil temp gauge.

I drilled out and tapped the 1/8 PT to 1/4 NPT. Inserted a 1/4 to 1/8 NPT reducer. I've had it this way since 2016, no leaks no problems.
DaveB.inVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
lextrueno

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have a TRD plate and Prosport Oil temp/pressure set up. The threads are the correct pitch but they are "ballooned" to ensure that the plate doesn't leak at the sensors. I had the same concern. I asked a buddy, and he said "full send it, my child." I would do the same if I were you rather than tapping the plate.