follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
btan219

Drives: DGM 15' BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Washer fluid not spraying out

Bought a MY15 BRZ in May and found out the washer fluid isn't spraying out. I put a thumbtack through the holes and also topped off the liquid but nothing still comes out. Any ideas on what I should do?
btan219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Well you can start by checking to see if the pump is getting power. At the very least if you do not know how to run a meter have someone actuate the sprayer button and listen for the pump to try and pump.

Ideally should just unplug the pump and have someone actuate the spray button check for power that will tell you if you have power headed there and if you need to look for a fuse or other issues or if the issue is with the pump itself (not likely) or if you have a plugged line before the spray nozzles (possible)
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
http://www.autogenius.info/scion-fr-...e-box-diagram/

Engine compartment 10A Fuse #6, Windshield Washer pump

Also check the lines and make sure it isn't pinched off
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
SlowCarFast

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Check and make sure you can hear the pump running first.

If you can:
Check the lines. If you don't find a problem with the lines, check the tank.

If you cannot hear the pump running:
Check the fuse.
Check that the coupler is full set on the pump.
Check that the coupler is getting power.

Report back your findings
SlowCarFast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SlowCarFast For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
btan219

When the spray button was actuated, I heard the sound like it was spraying something. What specifically should I be checking for? I'm not car savvy at all so I'm not sure what are the lines and what I should actually be checking for.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btan219 View Post
When the spray button was actuated, I heard the sound like it was spraying something. What specifically should I be checking for? I'm not car savvy at all so I'm not sure what are the lines and what I should actually be checking for.
Obviously, make sure the washer container is full of fluid .....

Well, if you can hear the pump running when you push the button, that indicates that it is getting power. Now, if the fluid isn't coming out of the nozzle up by the windshield, either the pump is just running and not pumping the fluid or the lines to the nozzles are stopped up (or kinked) or the nozzle is plugged.

I'd suggest you start with the nozzles and run a pin or piece of small wire in the nozzle. If still no fluid comes out, look in that plastic grate and see if the fluid is squirting out somewhere else. If no, follow the line back to the fluid container and see if it is kinked.

If all looks good and still no washer fluid, then the fun begins. You would have to get to the pump and tank and blow out the lines.

OR ..... take it into a shop and tell then your car's windshield washer ain't working and ask them to fix it.

Back-in-the-day, when the windshield got that dirty, we would just take an old T-shirt rag, dip it into the 2 1/2 gal milk pail of water we kept in the trunk, to fill the radiator after the car overheated, and wash off the windshield .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
btan219

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

I'd suggest you start with the nozzles and run a pin or piece of small wire in the nozzle. If still no fluid comes out, look in that plastic grate and see if the fluid is squirting out somewhere else. If no, follow the line back to the fluid container and see if it is kinked.

By nozzle do you mean where the water comes out from by the window? If so, then yes I've already ran a pin through those two holes and still nothing.

Also, what is the line everyone talks about? This is my first car and idk anything about cars or their components if you can be more specific please. Once I spot it I'm not really sure what to be checking for. Everyone's just saying to check if it's ok, but idk what looks ok and what doesn't. Please explain like I'm a 5 year old lol
Old 06-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
jasonojordan

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_201...10-920-01.html

So if you look at that parts breakdown of the front window cowling you will see there are a series of pop clips. You need to remove them. Under this cowling you will find the lines that connect your washer to the nozzles. Remove the line that runs to nozzles test to see if fluid comes out of the line. If it does you have a issue further up the line. Being fluid is not coming out of either nozzle I doubt the problem is further up the line and is likely in the line that connects to the T that comes from the pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
DandoX (09-25-2018)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #9
btan219

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_201...10-920-01.html

So if you look at that parts breakdown of the front window cowling you will see there are a series of pop clips. You need to remove them. Under this cowling you will find the lines that connect your washer to the nozzles. Remove the line that runs to nozzles test to see if fluid comes out of the line. If it does you have a issue further up the line. Being fluid is not coming out of either nozzle I doubt the problem is further up the line and is likely in the line that connects to the T that comes from the pump.
Thanks. This seems more than I'm used to so I'll save checking up on it when I have time later today or this week and I'll post an update or if I have any questions
Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #10
jasonojordan

Is it both sides that are not working?
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
That is the question right there!
If both sides are not working you can eliminate nozzles and the separate branch tubes right fro the start since the probability of both plugging at once is low.
If pump is running that can eliminate electrical issues.
Now down to just a handful of possibilities:
The impeller on the pump is not working even though the motor is spinning. Possible but very unlikely.
The outlet from the tank is blocked. Be a bitch to get at to check. Maybe siphon all the fluid out?
The main line is kinked or plugged someplace before it splits to the two nozzles. The most probable cause and easiest to check.
jasonojordan (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #12
btan219

Quote:
yup, no water coming out at all in either hole
Old 06-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #13
btan219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The main line is kinked or plugged someplace before it splits to the two nozzles. The most probable cause and easiest to check.

Thanks. I still need to remove the cowl just like jasonojordan suggested to check this right? And what exactly is the line everyone is talking about? Should I look out for a tube that connects from the washer fluid tank to the window nozzles or something?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btan219 View Post
Thanks. I still need to remove the cowl just like jasonojordan suggested to check this right? And what exactly is the line everyone is talking about? Should I look out for a tube that connects from the washer fluid tank to the window nozzles or something?
I will see if I can dig up a diagram for you. It is pretty tight to try and work on the tank itself but the rest should be too bad.