follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
RWDWeekend

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
What is my BRZ Worth?

Hey all, I've been shopping the idea of selling my BRZ in favor of something that's a bit more comfortable with a bit more torque. So, my question is: what should I expect to get for my BRZ in its current state? Mostly looking for private party sale estimates, but wouldn't be against hearing from someone in the dealership game on trade in value too. Typically I figure trade-in value is about 4-5k short of private party sale.

About the car:
2017 BRZ Limited, Dark Gray w/ Performance Package
25k miles
Very good condition minus the average scuffs, scrapes from parking lots & highway driving. No major dings, no mechanical issues.

Includes:
TRD Exhaust & stock exhaust
Borla UEL Header & stock header
Eibach Pro Kit Springs & stock springs
Apex ARC-8 wheels (black) with Contintental Contact Sport Summer tires (used one season)
Michelin X-Ice Winter tires mounted on stock PP wheels (used two seasons)
Stock Primacy HP tires (some life left)
Window tint
Raceseng tow hook (rear)

I realize modifications don't add value for 95% of buyers, just including this information to give an accurate idea of everything I have for it. I suppose the extra tires are the only 'add-on' included that could potentially add $300 or so of value to the right buyer. I referenced KBB but as we all know, their estimate isn't necessarily indicative of a vehicles real world value, sometimes it's higher, sometimes it's lower. Any thoughts are much appreciated!
RWDWeekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
About tree fiddy.

Seriously you should look up the used car value in Kelly Blue book or something, and browse used cars for what people are selling for. mods dont add shit to the price regardless what people think. Its why some people are willing to return the car to stock form and resell the pieces separately. You might be able to add a few bucks for the extra set of winter tires or something though.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-21-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
RWDWeekend

Garage
Yeah I've referenced KBB, I've just found that it isn't accurate most of the time. I'll have to keep an eye on the ol' Craigslist, maybe one of the used Car sale sites as well. It's just more difficult to find PPs for sale which makes it harder to judge their worth.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDWeekend View Post
Yeah I've referenced KBB, I've just found that it isn't accurate most of the time. I'll have to keep an eye on the ol' Craigslist, maybe one of the used Car sale sites as well. It's just more difficult to find PPs for sale which makes it harder to judge their worth.
Bump it up 1-1.5K from the same car without a PP. It's worth close to 2K extra out of the dealer, so price it how you see fit. Otherwise, search around, as you said. Anyone that wants one with a PP knows that even out of the dealership it's a great deal to include it, so you can price it close to its full value.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
RWDWeekend (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
RWDWeekend

Garage
Great, thanks! Of course now that I said PPs aren't plentiful, I've just found 4 with identical mileage out there to use as reference.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:40 AM   #6
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What is my BRZ Worth?

My advice, don’t sell it
You won’t find anything as fun. Unless you really need 4 doors, or an easier car to get in and out of.

My other more constructive advice
I would strongly recommend selling the wheels and exhaust parts separately. You will easily make more selling them separately, and they shouldn’t be hard to find buyers for. If you do sell the car with all of that included, you might have to wait longer for just the right buyer to come along. Most people want to choose their own aftermarket parts. Just what I’ve experienced. I typically wouldn’t want to pay extra for a car with mods unless I REALLY wanted those mods. (Not referring to the Performance Pack, that of course adds value to your car that anyone would expect to pay)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
RWDWeekend

Garage
All good advice. Honestly the BRZ was a blast but I found myself wanting something with more power and with a slightly less stiff ride for daily use, so I ended up in a 2020 5.0 Mustang (I know I know, I went to the dark side.. from a vehicle with an excellent chassis and mediocre engine to a vehicle with an excellent engine and mediocre chassis). If I could have afforded two vehicles, I would 100% have kept it for a backroad/track toy. I was considering removing the aftermarket parts and returning to stock, but the dealership made me an as is trade-in offer that I couldn't refuse (20k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
My advice, don’t sell it
You won’t find anything as fun. Unless you really need 4 doors, or an easier car to get in and out of.

My other more constructive advice
I would strongly recommend selling the wheels and exhaust parts separately. You will easily make more selling them separately, and they shouldn’t be hard to find buyers for. If you do sell the car with all of that included, you might have to wait longer for just the right buyer to come along. Most people want to choose their own aftermarket parts. Just what I’ve experienced. I typically wouldn’t want to pay extra for a car with mods unless I REALLY wanted those mods. (Not referring to the Performance Pack, that of course adds value to your car that anyone would expect to pay)

The Following User Says Thank You to RWDWeekend For This Useful Post:
JesseG (10-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #8
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
All good advice. Honestly the BRZ was a blast but I found myself wanting something with more power and with a slightly less stiff ride for daily use, so I ended up in a 2020 5.0 Mustang (I know I know, I went to the dark side.. from a vehicle with an excellent chassis and mediocre engine to a vehicle with an excellent engine and mediocre chassis). If I could have afforded two vehicles, I would 100% have kept it for a backroad/track toy. I was considering removing the aftermarket parts and returning to stock, but the dealership made me an as is trade-in offer that I couldn't refuse (20k).
Mediocre chassis is being very generous.. and I'm a Mustang fan lol
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
RWDWeekend

Garage
Probably accurate. I didn't opt for the performance package so it rides like Grandma's boaty Buick, so now I have to stiffen things up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Mediocre chassis is being very generous.. and I'm a Mustang fan lol
JesseG (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
JesseG

Quote:

I totally understand wanting something a little more “Muscle Car” sports car instead of “Lightweight underpowered” sports car. It’s pretty amazing what the new Mustang GT’s are capable of, and V8 power never gets old. Plus they can sound freaking awesome. Did you opt for a manual or the auto? Is a manual an option any more?
I think if you got a good trade in deal, plus the tax breaks, it’s not a big deal you didn’t remove the mods. My FR-S came with surprise TRD lowering springs and a few other handling goodies, I’m sure the PO weighed the time/return value equation and decided his time was more valuable. I’ve done the same.
Hopefully you will stick around and keep us updated on the Mustang! I’ve occasionally flirted with the idea of a Dodge Challenger R/T, my grandfather has always had a cool Dodge or Chrysler vehicle throughout his entire life. Part of me wants to continue that, and buy something American. It would be almost the complete opposite of my FR-S.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #11
RWDWeekend

Garage
Absolutely. I was raised in a household where AC/DC was cranked up to 10 every weekend, listening to my Dad tell me stories about his 20's driving a Z28 or his '67 Chevelle, so it was about time I tried out some American muscle. I found a white premium GT with a 6 speed manual & the black accent package (black wheels, black roof, blacked out grille, black badging) and so far couldn't be happier! I love the look (& sound.. Hemi power..) of the new Challengers. The main thing that turned me away from them was the interior, and the suspension. Made the Mustang feel like it was on rails by comparison. However I love that Dodge has kept that true muscle car look alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I totally understand wanting something a little more “Muscle Car” sports car instead of “Lightweight underpowered” sports car. It’s pretty amazing what the new Mustang GT’s are capable of, and V8 power never gets old. Plus they can sound freaking awesome. Did you opt for a manual or the auto? Is a manual an option any more?
I think if you got a good trade in deal, plus the tax breaks, it’s not a big deal you didn’t remove the mods. My FR-S came with surprise TRD lowering springs and a few other handling goodies, I’m sure the PO weighed the time/return value equation and decided his time was more valuable. I’ve done the same.
Hopefully you will stick around and keep us updated on the Mustang! I’ve occasionally flirted with the idea of a Dodge Challenger R/T, my grandfather has always had a cool Dodge or Chrysler vehicle throughout his entire life. Part of me wants to continue that, and buy something American. It would be almost the complete opposite of my FR-S.

JesseG (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #12
daniloneil8

Drives: FRS
Congrats. Sounds like a BEAST of a car.
daniloneil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #13
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'd say 20 grand. They're about 30 new, about 10 grand for the cheapest, average-to-poor condition used. 15 being the midpoint for a generic 15+ example. Yours seems to be a shining example, essentially Certified Pre Owned-like. Few years old as if it came in off a lease, with barely any miles. The fact that it's got springs and a catback is great, so a potential buyer wont have to buy that stuff new, same goes for winter rubber. Add the fact its PP. Ud be hard pressed to ask 25, at that point why not just buy new. I'd say 20
Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #14
JesseG

Quote:
Absolutely. I was raised in a household where AC/DC was cranked up to 10 every weekend, listening to my Dad tell me stories about his 20's driving a Z28 or his '67 Chevelle, so it was about time I tried out some American muscle. I found a white premium GT with a 6 speed manual & the black accent package (black wheels, black roof, blacked out grille, black badging) and so far couldn't be happier! I love the look (& sound.. Hemi power..) of the new Challengers. The main thing that turned me away from them was the interior, and the suspension. Made the Mustang feel like it was on rails by comparison. However I love that Dodge has kept that true muscle car look alive!

Hell yeah!!
That sounds gorgeous, you should post some pics! And getting a manual makes it even better!
Yeah exactly Dodge is clearly going for the old school classic muscle car layout, and that type of car won’t be around too much longer. Heck any muscle car won’t be around much longer. The new Mustang is hard to beat, and it does have a much nicer interior than the Challenger and Camaro. I would have to stick to my roots and get the Challenger, but damn they are all awesome.