follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: Do you want a 1.6L Turbo Hybrid on a Lexus chassis?
Like it! 11 23.40%
Nah... not so much. 36 76.60%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2023, 09:34 AM   #43
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag23 View Post
This would be the easiest thing in the world actually - and I'm patiently waiting for when an automaker actually does it with a sports car. Whichever automaker does it first would be entering a space that's currently completely unoccupied - and where the market is very clearly headed.

You employ the exact same recipe as the 1st gen Honda Insight, Honda CRZ, and most of the Mazdas sold in Europe (the e-Skyactiv-X cars). You take an efficient gas engine, you put an electric motor between it and the flywheel, you mount up the rest of the clutch and a manual transmission, and you top it off with a small battery pack (5-6 kWh). Done. You get a manual-transmission mild hybrid with the benefit of a greatly aided power curve (much more power/torque at low RPMs), along with dramatically increased fuel efficiency.

In the case of the Mazda3 sold in Europe, they offer two versions: the normal petrol version (identical to what we have here), and the e-Skyactiv X version. The weight difference is a whopping... 134 lbs. I'd take that tradeoff in a heartbeat, especially since the batteries can be located in the spare tire well to aid in weight distribution (unlike FI, which pretty much has to go where the engine is).
There's been supercar hybrids for the last ~10 years or more, I thought for sure that would trickle down to a reasonably priced sports car by now. I guess that's what I get for believing in trickle down anything.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (04-04-2023), Ohio Enthusiast (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 09:38 AM   #44
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mazda quotes 20-30% increases.

Anecdotally, magazines are reporting everything from low 40s in city driving to high 50s on highway.
Let me know when you can find actual numbers.

Typically those type of hybrid systems don't do much on the highway, they are typically to help smaller engines get up to speed more easily. The US Mazda 3 w/the 2.0 is rated at 28/36.......so I'm having a hard time believing the mild hybrid system is adding these types of gains.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:49 AM   #45
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
This would be the easiest thing in the world actually - and I'm patiently waiting for when an automaker actually does it with a sports car. Whichever automaker does it first would be entering a space that's currently completely unoccupied - and where the market is very clearly headed.
Several makers are already there with their hypercars (Porsche, McClaren, etc). Ferrari is moving it down down into larger sales number vehicles vehicles like the 296 (it's actually a PHEV), and we now have Chevy doing it in the C8 E-Ray. The most recent gen of the NSX was hybrid as well.

The challenge I see is someone actually making one affordable. Development costs are high, and sales numbers will always be low in the US's truck/SUV crazy market. People who actually like cars are rare and those who like fun to drive cars and can afford to by them new, even more rare. That's a big economic risk for any automaker and a big reason why Toyota decided to go the partnership route on the twins and the Supra. Technically it's possible. We just need automakers willing to take the risk and make them.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:13 AM   #46
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Several makers are already there with their hypercars (Porsche, McClaren, etc). Ferrari is moving it down down into larger sales number vehicles vehicles like the 296 (it's actually a PHEV), and we now have Chevy doing it in the C8 E-Ray. The most recent gen of the NSX was hybrid as well.

The challenge I see is someone actually making one affordable. Development costs are high, and sales numbers will always be low in the US's truck/SUV crazy market. People who actually like cars are rare and those who like fun to drive cars and can afford to by them new, even more rare. That's a big economic risk for any automaker and a big reason why Toyota decided to go the partnership route on the twins and the Supra. Technically it's possible. We just need automakers willing to take the risk and make them.
"Just slap a turbo on the BRZ" will turn into "just slap a mild hybrid motor on the BRZ" when of course it isn't that simple.

But...the discontinuation of the STI with the explanation that it will (maybe?) be back in some electrified form has me hopeful that Subaru is really going to give the semi-affordable hybrid or electric performance car thing a go. It could be really cool and I think they could do a great job of it. Maybe.

I do hope it's hybrid and not full electric.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (03-30-2023), Tcoat (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:05 AM   #47
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
All in all if they do anything be it hybrid, electric, new platform, turbo 3 banger, dilithium crystals or Mr. Fusion any resulting car would be an 86/BRZ in name only. You can only "upgrade" something so far before it is no longer what it started out as no matter what the badges may say.
Flarpswitch (04-01-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 03:22 PM   #48
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
In today's market conditions I don't think we can be too hung up on names, badges, powertrains, or brands.

Time marches on and things change. Yes, the Supra speaks with a thick German accent these days, but at least it's still a fast RWD sports car. Our beloved BRZ's might go from a grumbly flat-4 to a screaming FI 3-cyclinder engine or a hybrid or both, but as long as it's still a slightly affordable fun to drive RWD coupe, I wouldn't complain. In both those cases the spirit is still there, just different internal organs to ensure survival of the species. Adapt or die.

Just don't slap the name on an SUV (looking at you Ford and Mitsubishi).
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:00 PM   #49
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nope.

If next Gen happens it will be 4 wheel electric.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #50
Shub Deetle
Large Member

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
All in all if they do anything be it hybrid, electric, new platform, turbo 3 banger, dilithium crystals or Mr. Fusion any resulting car would be an 86/BRZ in name only. You can only "upgrade" something so far before it is no longer what it started out as no matter what the badges may say.
That applies to almost anything. It’s the age-old philosophical debate: when does something stop being what it is. Where is that fine line that separates what it is from what it isn’t.

I’m currently remodelling a power amp with all new parts, chassis and so on. It looks completely different, yet I’ve used the original circuit in every way. Is it the same amp? If not, when did it cease being original? I’ve been thinking of taking the name/brand badge off the original chassis and putting it on the new one. I’m not so sure now.

Last edited by Shub Deetle; 04-01-2023 at 01:38 PM.
Shub Deetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shub Deetle For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (04-02-2023)

Tags
new model, turbo