follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #57
DyoGTS

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I pre-ordered the AT, and before the car came in I was regretting the decision...
I've had it for a couple weeks now and I'm actually glad that I got the AT. Yes, as many people have stated, there does seem to be a lack of power, but only until you put it into sport or manual modes.
DyoGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #58
sdiver68

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
On a road race course, I would bet that 99% of you would be faster with the paddle shifter. Having mastered the heel and toe myself in fact I qualified for my PCA advanced solo track rating in my manual Cayman S, I personally think traditional manuals are dinosaurs.

I would regret the manual no matter how fun dancing with pedals and playing with a stick can be at times. Professional racers made the switch to sequential a long time ago, it's about time people recognize that manuals are for playing and sequential gearboxes for those serious about lap times. The auto up and down shifts faster, has 1% the margin for error of a stick, gets better fuel economy, and is not a PITA in traffic.

My $. 02
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdiver68 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-20-2012), DaJo (06-20-2012), DEC1 (06-20-2012), kuhlka (06-07-2013)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #59
Tman08

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am 90% going to be ordering the AT when I get mine early 13'. Mainly because of the constant traffic and BS I have to deal with on the commute to and from work.

Though MT would be fun as well, I am curious to see how good the paddles actually are when/if I finally get to test drive it.
Tman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #60
WillieRX
Mountain Road Recon

Drives: '06 Subaru WRX TR
Try both, then pick. I originally drove automatics, but after i bought my first manual (1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro), I never wanted to go back to automatics. I

learned the manual quickly by throwing myself at the wolves (so to speak) by driving the car in regular traffic and the mountains roads (minimal parking lot practice). Many times stalling and two weeks later, I got a great hang on the manual.

It all comes down to preference and feel in the end. I prefer the manual because I like the direct control and feel of it. Autos are not bad, much easier to drive (in traffic at least), but I don't want another auto.
WillieRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #61
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
On a road race course, I would bet that 99% of you would be faster with the paddle shifter. Having mastered the heel and toe myself in fact I qualified for my PCA advanced solo track rating in my manual Cayman S, I personally think traditional manuals are dinosaurs.

I would regret the manual no matter how fun dancing with pedals and playing with a stick can be at times. Professional racers made the switch to sequential a long time ago, it's about time people recognize that manuals are for playing and sequential gearboxes for those serious about lap times. The auto up and down shifts faster, has 1% the margin for error of a stick, gets better fuel economy, and is not a PITA in traffic.

My $. 02
^this...I have the AT...and sick of the AT bashing...especially by those who haven't driven this one and/or don't know what they are talking about.
I've had and driven both all my life. This auto-stick is the fastest shifting car I've ever seen. And it is truly fun to use the paddles or the shifter to row through the gears...so what if you're not pushing a clutch in each time?
Do you still like to get out of your couch to change the TV channel...just because it's "more involving"...?
This car with an AT allows you to drive tamely if you like when you're just going to work...in Sport mode when you want to have a little more throttle response and it holds gears longer...and then Sport and paddle when you want to play...flexibility and fun...can't ask for much more than that.
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEC1 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-20-2012), kuhlka (06-07-2013)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #62
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Life-long manual driver here. That's my personal preference. It is more fun and involving for me. I prefer the extra degree of control.

That said, there is nothing wrong with driving an automatic. These days, most automatics are faster. And if you have back problems, leg problems or drive in stop/go traffic every day, sometimes it's really the only practical option.

I say test drive them both and make the decision that suits you.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadoquad For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #63
Tomsterbrz

Drives: Red Limited, MT
I had a Lexus ISF, with possibly the best paddle shifting AT in the world, and sold it in a year because it just wasn't any fun without a MT. You might think you will paddle shift but after only a couple of weeks you'll most likely do as I did.....keep it in Drive.

Bought a MT GTI and never looked back.
Tomsterbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #64
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Garage
Two reasons there is an auto FRS in our garage. Number1: the wife has a bad back and rowing gears hurts. So, now she can play! Number2: I believe there are quite a few benefits to be gained with the Auto in an autocross application. No more banging the limiter for 5+ seconds because the shift up and then back down would take too long or just be plain in the way. Some Solo layouts have at least one low speed area that would be much better in 1st gear. A little left foot brake, trail it in shift down and bam! Perfectly balanced car. I think its going to shock quite a few people.
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #65
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Ive gone from manual to dual clutch, to a regular automatic back to a manual. I have to say i love having a third pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz View Post

If you track a car, most likely you wouldn't even buy a BRZ FRS
Huh? I bought mine for the sole purpose of tracking it.

Last edited by track_warrior; 06-21-2012 at 01:52 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #66
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
*Repost

Last edited by track_warrior; 06-21-2012 at 01:52 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #67
Napoleon

Drives: BRZ WRB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
^this...I have the AT...and sick of the AT bashing...especially by those who haven't driven this one and/or don't know what they are talking about.
I've had and driven both all my life. This auto-stick is the fastest shifting car I've ever seen. And it is truly fun to use the paddles or the shifter to row through the gears...so what if you're not pushing a clutch in each time?
Do you still like to get out of your couch to change the TV channel...just because it's "more involving"...?
This car with an AT allows you to drive tamely if you like when you're just going to work...in Sport mode when you want to have a little more throttle response and it holds gears longer...and then Sport and paddle when you want to play...flexibility and fun...can't ask for much more than that.
+1
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #68
tinnyms3

Drives: ms3
Update: Wife has made up her mind to get a TT, so brz would potentially be for me , pending test drive. That means AT is out and manual it is! I see people's point that AT is generally quicker, but my priority is not the fastest lap times, but fun and interaction with car where 99.9% of driving will be done on the street. The shifting portion of the interaction(feeling the clutch take-up, feathering the throttle, vibration, noise and feedback from shifter as you move through each gear) will be mostly missing with the AT.

Being DD, I'm concerned that there is no engine braking if recent cars I had are any indication, it makes commute much more tolerable by minimizing braking and shifting. Guess I'll find out during test drive.

BRZ STi on order

Last edited by tinnyms3; 06-21-2012 at 02:06 PM.
tinnyms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #69
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsterbrz View Post
I had a Lexus ISF, with possibly the best paddle shifting AT in the world, and sold it in a year because it just wasn't any fun without a MT. You might think you will paddle shift but after only a couple of weeks you'll most likely do as I did.....keep it in Drive.

Bought a MT GTI and never looked back.
So far I find I paddle shift more than I thought I would, not less. I will say I don't put it in full manual mode often, but that's because I'm commuting 90% of the time. Even with it in auto mode though, I use the paddles a lot. It has almost become second nature.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #70
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnyms3 View Post
...Being DD, I'm concerned that there is no engine braking if recent cars I had are any indication, it makes commute much more tolerable by minimizing braking and shifting. Guess I'll find out during test drive.
I use the 6T for engine braking rather frequently. It came in particularly handy during my mountain run a couple of weeks back.

Can you elaborate on your recent experience? I'm just curious.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote