follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #1
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
'13 BRZ USDM vs EU Spec

Hi guys, our local BRZs in the Philippines are EU spec. Someone here is selling a USDM BRZ and I just wanted to ask some questions.

1. The Odo and Trip meter reads MPH. is there a way to convert this to KPH permanently without a console swap? (not just the speedo..)
2. are USDM amber sidemarkers always on together with the DRLs? or are they just turn signals? I prefer them to function just as turn signals.
3. is it a straight swap if I buy EU spec exhaust tips?
4. Anything key differences I am missing here? It seems all of the posts are usually comparing JDM vs USDM, not EU.
5. Any difference in the actual headlight? HID units?

Thank you!

Last edited by leevanf; 07-02-2017 at 04:34 AM.
leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leevanf View Post
Hi guys, our local BRZs in the Philippines are EU spec. Someone here is selling a USDM BRZ and I just wanted to ask some questions.

1. The Odo and Trip meter reads MPH. is there a way to convert this to KPH permanently without a console swap? (not just the speedo..)
2. are USDM amber sidemarkers always on together with the DRLs? or are they just turn signals? I prefer them to function just as turn signals.
4. Anything key differences I am missing here? It seems all of the posts are usually comparing JDM vs USDM, not EU.

Thank you!
Many of your questions can be answered by a close comparison of the owner's manuals for the different marketing areas. These are available in many places online, including this forum.

But off the top of my head, I can tell you:

1. Heavens, put your tools away. The speedo/odo can be changed between miles and kilometers by a tap of the button on the dash just to the left of the instrument cluster.

2. The side markers are running lights controlled by the headlights, not the DRLs. In North America it would probably be illegal in many places to wire them as turn signals. Aftermarket companies will sell you lenses so you can change the amber lenses to smoke or clear if you wish, but the lightbulb will have to be amber.

3. I would be surprised if the ends of the exhaust pipes differ between the marketing areas. Your source for buying the tips should be able to tell you if they will fit.

4. Put the two manuals side by side and compare the information.

5. See 4 above.

Happy hunting. I wish I could say the EU spec includes a turbo, but I guess then they couldn't sell any cars without it.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
Many of your questions can be answered by a close comparison of the owner's manuals for the different marketing areas. These are available in many places online, including this forum.

1. Heavens, put your tools away. The speedo/odo can be changed between miles and kilometers by a tap of the button on the dash just to the left of the instrument cluster.

2. The side markers are running lights controlled by the headlights, not the DRLs. In North America it would probably be illegal in many places to wire them as turn signals. Aftermarket companies will sell you lenses so you can change the amber lenses to smoke or clear if you wish, but the lightbulb will have to be amber. Thats interesting! Our old 80 series Land cruiser hand factory amber side lamps that only function as turn signals!

3. I would be surprised if the ends of the exhaust pipes differ between the marketing areas. Your source for buying the tips should be able to tell you if they will fit.

5. See 4 above.

Happy hunting. I wish I could say the EU spec includes a turbo, but I guess then they couldn't sell any cars without it.
Bummer on the folding power mirrors. Lots of parking lots here are also small that power folders are so handy.
Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you!
1. No. Just get used to converting if needed.

2. Only with parking or headlights on.

3. EU and JDM exhaust tips are the same. Yes they'll swap, you just have to push the EU/JDM tips farther on and not align with the dent left by the bolt on the USDM tips.

4. Headunit might have differences. No power folding mirrors for USDM.

5. So long as you guys use left hand drive cars over there, it should be fine. Cutoff is mirrored on right hand drive cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post

2. The side markers are running lights controlled by the headlights, not the DRLs. In North America it would probably be illegal in many places to wire them as turn signals. Aftermarket companies will sell you lenses so you can change the amber lenses to smoke or clear if you wish, but the lightbulb will have to be amber.

5. See 4 above.

1. Only the digital speedo display changes, not the odometer or trip meter.

2. Not illegal, but rare. Not a bad mod to do actually...

3. 2013 USDM tips are tiny crap vs the EU and JDM tips being like the 2015+ tips just longer.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
pfaffendorn (07-03-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a 2013, Canadian not USDM, but we have the same exhaust situation. The JDM/EU tips fit perfectly. The bolt indentations line right up, I put them on my car shortly after purchase.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to navanodd For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 02:35 AM   #6
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
1. No. Just get used to converting if needed.

2. Only with parking or headlights on.

3. EU and JDM exhaust tips are the same. Yes they'll swap, you just have to push the EU/JDM tips farther on and not align with the dent left by the bolt on the USDM tips.

4. Headunit might have differences. No power folding mirrors for USDM.

5. So long as you guys use left hand drive cars over there, it should be fine. Cutoff is mirrored on right hand drive cars.

1. Only the digital speedo display changes, not the odometer or trip meter.

2. Not illegal, but rare. Not a bad mod to do actually...

3. 2013 USDM tips are tiny crap vs the EU and JDM tips being like the 2015+ tips just longer.
Caught me talking through my hat . . . I guess I should read the manual? Thanks for the corrections.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by navanodd View Post
I have a 2013, Canadian not USDM, but we have the same exhaust situation. The JDM/EU tips fit perfectly. The bolt indentations line right up, I put them on my car shortly after purchase.
Would you share where you were able to purchase oem spec exhaust tips? Thank you!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
is it a straight swap if I buy EU spec exhaust tips?

Just a quick note here. The USDM muffler is slightly different than EU, and the exhaust pipes stick out slightly farther toward the rear. This means that if you fit EU tips, they will stick out about 1"-2" further than they will on an EU spec car. To get around this, you have to use a Dremel or similar to grind down a few metal ridges on the inside of the tips. Takes less than 30 minutes to do both sides. The tips can then be pushed further onto the pipes, and will have the similar appearance to EU tips.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
is it a straight swap if I buy EU spec exhaust tips?

Just a quick note here. The USDM muffler is slightly different than EU, and the exhaust pipes stick out slightly farther toward the rear. This means that if you fit EU tips, they will stick out about 1"-2" further than they will on an EU spec car. To get around this, you have to use a Dremel or similar to grind down a few metal ridges on the inside of the tips. Takes less than 30 minutes to do both sides. The tips can then be pushed further onto the pipes, and will have the similar appearance to EU tips.
Great input sir! Out of curiosity, will there be any structural downsides to leaving the 1-2 inch extension there? Such as (1) more noise/rattling possibilities (2) looser fit/risk losing the actual thing?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Great input sir! Out of curiosity, will there be any structural downsides to leaving the 1-2 inch extension there? Such as (1) more noise/rattling possibilities (2) looser fit/risk losing the actual thing?
No downsides other than aesthetic. Here is some more info with pictures.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:25 AM   #11
Yoniyama

Drives: BRZ 2018
For model year 2013, there are a few other differences between US and Euro BRZ models:

(1) Wheels - US:17", Euro:16" (17" optional)
(2) Differential - US:TORSEN, Euro: Open
Yoniyama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoniyama For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #12
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
EU spec should have power folding side mirrors while the NA spec doesn't.

EU spec should also have rear foglights installed while NA spec doesn't even have the pre-wiring and relays to readily install the light and control stalk.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoniyama View Post
For model year 2013, there are a few other differences between US and Euro BRZ models:

(1) Wheels - US:17", Euro:16" (17" optional)
(2) Differential - US:TORSEN, Euro: Open

Pretty sure the Euro spec has the Torsen standard. Could be an option with an open?

@nikitopo @Scrappydoo
nikitopo (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
There was a Euro spec car with an open differential. Final drive ratio was 3.727. In fact, I have this version

nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
krayzie (07-06-2017), Sarlacc (07-06-2017)