follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #4509
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I’ll take one if this is an upgrade from your original laser printed nylon units I have installed now. Seems to work well with Zach’s tune but could it be better with the brake booster vacuum source?
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #4510
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
I’ll take one if this is an upgrade from your original laser printed nylon units I have installed now. Seems to work well with Zach’s tune but could it be better with the brake booster vacuum source?
?Pete, I never sold any 3D printed units, just the anodized aluminum models. I don't seem to have you in my purchase records either. I personally use the brake booster source for the bypass valve line. its an option for installation on manual transmissions, not sure about automatics. The Remote MAP bock is always plumbed to the back port on the pressurized side of the supercharger.
B T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #4511
Muskoka800

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
?Pete, I never sold any 3D printed units, just the anodized aluminum models. I don't seem to have you in my purchase records either. I personally use the brake booster source for the bypass valve line. its an option for installation on manual transmissions, not sure about automatics. The Remote MAP bock is always plumbed to the back port on the pressurized side of the supercharger.
I’m sorry. It was BirdTRD who sold the nylon MAP re-locator about a year back.
It’s located in the vacuum line between the by-pass valve and it’s port on the S/C.
Mine is manual.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #4512
B T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
It’s located in the vacuum line between the by-pass valve and it’s port on the S/C.
Sorry, not familiar with that setup. My kit relocates where the MAP sensor gets its reference pressure from, removing it from the pulsing intake runner.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:43 PM   #4513
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So a week later I need to clean my MAF sensor, again. Additionally, my tuner told me to clean the K&N filter and do not apply oil, per their kit.

My question is: can I use a light spray of Dawn on the filter to remove the oil and rinse it, then let it air dry? It’s clearly full of some shit.

I have a PCV catch can that catches pretty much nothing. I noticed that hose that plugs into the front of the filter shroud has drops of something in it. Is this the CCV side?
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:33 PM   #4514
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
So a week later I need to clean my MAF sensor, again. Additionally, my tuner told me to clean the K&N filter and do not apply oil, per their kit.

My question is: can I use a light spray of Dawn on the filter to remove the oil and rinse it, then let it air dry? It’s clearly full of some shit.

I have a PCV catch can that catches pretty much nothing. I noticed that hose that plugs into the front of the filter shroud has drops of something in it. Is this the CCV side?
spray of Dawn for the MAF or for your filter? K/N sells a filter cleaner spray and you need to dry it for at least 24hrs. I made a post a while back discussing this with edelbrock. Never use oiled filters with this SC kit or its fucks up your MAF.

Yes that's the CCV side, in our engine its the "breather port" so filtered air goes into the engine
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:58 PM   #4515
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Just want to add, I haven't tested this method on an automatic. If the vacuum builds with engine RPM as opposed to reference pressure at the intake manifold, it would cause your bypass valve to be open all the time. There's nothing wrong with plumbing it to the bypass valve line like originally designed and would probably be better in the case of automatics.
B T I have a slight concern on the remote MAP sensor routing. On the Edelbrock design the temperature sensor that was in the MAF is actually removed and Tee'ed off from the 3 Bar MAP sensor instead that's in the runner. The MAP sensor is actually a combined localized Temperature AND Pressure sensor. If we do the remote MAP and to have the same tune (which may have dependencies built in to an accurate compressed air temp) you may need to fit in a temperature sensor in the default location and route that line there instead of where your remote MAP box would be.
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:42 AM   #4516
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
spray of Dawn for the MAF or for your filter? K/N sells a filter cleaner spray and you need to dry it for at least 24hrs. I made a post a while back discussing this with edelbrock. Never use oiled filters with this SC kit or its fucks up your MAF.

Yes that's the CCV side, in our engine its the "breather port" so filtered air goes into the engine
Dawn on the air filter! I wouldn’t do that to the sensor haha I used the spray to clean it.

I washed the filter in some lightly soaped water and rinsed well. I will let it dry for 24 hours. I know they sell kits but I do not want anything oil-based near the filter.
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
Old 04-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #4517
Colin86

Drives: 86
Hey everyone,

I bought one of BT's bypasses and I'm excited to install it but slightly lost. Can someone describe the benefits of the alternative install method with the brake booster and better yet an install guide with any additional parts I might need to purchase? I have a manual transmission.

Pictures would be incredible if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance!
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:43 PM   #4518
Brewster

Drives: 13 FRS AT, Edelbrock SC, Tomei EL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
Dawn on the air filter! I wouldn’t do that to the sensor haha I used the spray to clean it.

I washed the filter in some lightly soaped water and rinsed well. I will let it dry for 24 hours. I know they sell kits but I do not want anything oil-based near the filter.
https://www.knfilters.com/99-0624-fi...tic-32oz-spray

I don't think K&N's dry filter cleaner is oil based
Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brewster For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 10:00 PM   #4519
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
https://www.knfilters.com/99-0624-fi...tic-32oz-spray

I don't think K&N's dry filter cleaner is oil based
I have a kit around here somewhere. Soaking it in water was not the way to do it - took forever to dry.

Sure is clean, though!
Old 04-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #4520
B T

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
B T I have a slight concern on the remote MAP sensor routing. On the Edelbrock design the temperature sensor that was in the MAF is actually removed and Tee'ed off from the 3 Bar MAP sensor instead that's in the runner. The MAP sensor is actually a combined localized Temperature AND Pressure sensor. If we do the remote MAP and to have the same tune (which may have dependencies built in to an accurate compressed air temp) you may need to fit in a temperature sensor in the default location and route that line there instead of where your remote MAP box would be.
I didn't see any large change in IAT from this mod from what I recall. On long trips before the mod, I was running roughly 23-25 degrees F above ambient. It may have gone up a small amount, like 2 degrees after. Covering my oil cooler (because of it's location) raised my IAT's by an additional 25 degrees C for comparison.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #4521
B T

Does anyone have the part number for the K&N air filter btw? Need a backup.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #4522
Muskoka800

Quote:
Does anyone have the part number for the K&N air filter btw? Need a backup.
035051-0157
This is for the dry filter. I ordered mine from Summit. My used kit came with the oiled filter which I have cleaned and saved for back-up (un-oiled).
To be honest they look identical once clean (with K&N cleaner).
Attached Images