follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 03-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #1079
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Clipdat (03-17-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-01-2022), pope (03-22-2022), Ramster (04-01-2022), Spuds (03-17-2022), The Red One (04-01-2022), thomasmryan (03-17-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 05:00 AM   #1080
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Me thinking out loud. Well, not really "out loud" but putting thoughts to print.
I've been thinking about travel quite a bit of late. Not that it's going to happen any time soon but I've been considering the camera strategy.
The plan was 2 Olympus bodies with permanently attached lenses because the very concept of changing lenses while out and about is a complete anathema to me.

Not that I would be taking two cameras everywhere I went (I have the Sony RX100vi for everyday pics) but I'm now thinking that's quite a bit of weight to be carrying, they require more care, perhaps a bigger theft risk, just more hassle.

Now I'm thinking I'll just take the little Sony. I have done a lot of travel with just a compact and I'm happy to use a tripod with same (even though I think it looks a little weird lol *shrug*).
The biggest disadvantage of plan is lost opportunities but having said that I would have to work within the limitations of the camera which is something I've always done.

The advantage is the camera is small enough to be pocketable and would always be with me as would a pocket tripod which I have used to great effect. (I would also have a larger lightweight tripod for night excursions.)

My prominent thought is I'm a tourist with a camera, not a photographer out on assignment.

I'm thinking the reduced worry would be worth the loss of some quality and opportunities. It would be easier all round.

Sony RX100vi
Name:  DSC00135_DxO.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  196.7 KB

Panasonic TZ10
Name:  P1020976.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  401.4 KB

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-01-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-01-2022), The Red One (04-01-2022), thomasmryan (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #1081
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
I've been using a pocket cam and small tripod for all the travel shots here on the site.
Supplemented with the phone for some panoramas on occasion.
The tripod legs extend to about a yard and work well with the timer for lower light.
The camera has a setting for shooting through windows, so that's been handy when I remember.

Name:  tripod.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  201.4 KB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-01-2022), The Red One (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #1082
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post

Panasonic TZ10
Attachment 210728
Is that Hachiko Square?
Old 04-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #1083
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Me thinking out loud. Well, not really "out loud" but putting thoughts to print.
I've been thinking about travel quite a bit of late. Not that it's going to happen any time soon but I've been considering the camera strategy.
The plan was 2 Olympus bodies with permanently attached lenses because the very concept of changing lenses while out and about is a complete anathema to me.

Not that I would be taking two cameras everywhere I went (I have the Sony RX100vi for everyday pics) but I'm now thinking that's quite a bit of weight to be carrying, they require more care, perhaps a bigger theft risk, just more hassle.

Now I'm thinking I'll just take the little Sony. I have done a lot of travel with just a compact and I'm happy to use a tripod with same (even though I think it looks a little weird lol *shrug*).
The biggest disadvantage of plan is lost opportunities but having said that I would have to work within the limitations of the camera which is something I've always done.

The advantage is the camera is small enough to be pocketable and would always be with me as would a pocket tripod which I have used to great effect. (I would also have a larger lightweight tripod for night excursions.)

My prominent thought is I'm a tourist with a camera, not a photographer out on assignment.

I'm thinking the reduced worry would be worth the loss of some quality and opportunities. It would be easier all round.
Just another Existential question a photog would contemplate.

Question: why did you buy a nice camera? May as well get your money out of it!

When I travel my photography is much a part of it. How much I take depends on mode of transport, location & who im traveling with. Oh and the bag I choose to put all the stuff in.

Some of my best trips with the camera(DSLR) was with a Bicycle.

A few required travel picts?

One of those front red bags was ¾ just camera stuff.

Top of the Rock, a 3 shot Pano w a 24MM and carrying a 30 L backpack to hold all the Photo loot.

NY messenger 24MM at 1/6th sec. It was overcast with rain and snow and a stupid slow speed was just a natural.

If getting your photo equipment to a destination is a bother or worry then why not go the route 99% use? A decent cell phone can make for a good primary camera or even as backup.
I did not know this couple but she had a great smile, just an opportunity with a sneaky extra wide lens.(10mm 4.8 1/45sec). My Cell has become a backup to my backup
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-01-2022), Captain Snooze (04-01-2022), soundman98 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #1084
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
@TRO Love the pano and the cyclist. I have 2 DSLR bodies - a D7200 for things far away and/or moving fast (e.g. wildlife and auto racing stuff) and a D750 for most everything else. On more landscapey trips, I usually take the D750 with a 24-85 on it and a 70-200 f4 in a smallish backpack. For street photos I usually use my cellphone. If I'm going to be doing any night/astro things, I'll toss in a 20 or 14mm Rokinon MF and take a stoutish tripod.
The Red One (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 04:35 PM   #1085
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Is that Hachiko Square?

Yep!
Taken at the "x" towards the top right of the screenshot using a pocket tripod sitting on top of some sort of box.

I've used pocket tripods held against walls, over pew backs, against light poles, on garbage bins. They're very versatile. Given the cameras I'm using low iso takes much higher priority over shutter speed.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  124.2 KB
Name:  Untitlked.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  200.4 KB

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 04-01-2022 at 05:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #1086
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
1/ Question: why did you buy a nice camera? May as well get your money out of it!
2/ A decent cell phone can make for a good primary camera or even as backup.
1/ I like using cameras but as I like to say everything's a compromise.
(Wow! I haven't said that for a while!)
The tentative plan at this stage is to be away from Australia for approximately 1 & 1/2 years. I want as less stress as possible. A pocket camera for me is just less worry.
2/ My biggest criticism of phones are using them in sunlight; I need a viewfinder regardless of its quality and as mentioned I like taking photos.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #1087
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
The camera has a setting for shooting through windows, so that's been handy when I remember.
Attachment 210735
lol, yeah, I've been caught out a quite few times by my camera focusing on wet or dirty windows.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #1088
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
Top of the Rock,
What's the Rock?

Old 04-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #1089
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yep!
Taken at the "x" towards the top right of the screenshot using a pocket tripod sitting on top of some sort of box.
Thought I recognized it, I haven't been there since 2012 but I remember it well. Very cool, that place is awesome looking at night.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:18 PM   #1090
The Red One

Quote:
1/ I like using cameras but as I like to say everything's a compromise.
(Wow! I haven't said that for a while!)
The tentative plan at this stage is to be away from Australia for approximately 1 & 1/2 years. I want as less stress as possible. A pocket camera for me is just less worry.
2/ My biggest criticism of phones are using them in sunlight; I need a viewfinder regardless of its quality and as mentioned I like taking photos.
My biggest compromise to travel is that I don’t have much money left for that. Being a fixed income old guy now, I keep the travel to Friends & sisters homes on the other side of the continent and have become somewhat of a cheap couch surfer…

I get you on the liking to take photos & having a viewfinder, that’s something no phone can take away.. Hope your plans turn out, I always find travel is a great educator and the camera just records the memories.

Quote:
What's the Rock?
Top of the rock is the 3 viewing platforms at the top of New York city’s Rockefeller center.
Best for a high view of all of Manhattan. The best part is you can reserve your tickets in advance so could schedule an evening sunset or morning sunrise. We got up there just before noon and there was some snow left from the overnight flurries. What a crazy city to visit.
https://www.topoftherocknyc.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 06:27 PM   #1091
The Red One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
@TRO Love the pano and the cyclist. I have 2 DSLR bodies - a D7200 for things far away and/or moving fast (e.g. wildlife and auto racing stuff) and a D750 for most everything else. On more landscapey trips, I usually take the D750 with a 24-85 on it and a 70-200 f4 in a smallish backpack. For street photos I usually use my cellphone. If I'm going to be doing any night/astro things, I'll toss in a 20 or 14mm Rokinon MF and take a stoutish tripod.
Tks, might as well use the time waiting for the light to change.

I carry around a 70-200 F4 as well most of the time when traveling, nice lightweight with a great light touch zoom ring for finger control when the action picks up. Much preferred weight wise than the bigger faster zoom; I have a few primes if I need to go fast in that range.

My favourite walkabout kit is a Think Tank Photo Retrospective 7 Shoulder Bag Just big enough to stuff one DSLR with the 70-200 f4 & another DSLR mounted with a 10-24 zoom and a spare prime lens or 2 in the middle. Love this bag! I mount a BS-3 or BS-2 shoe cover on both cameras in case they bump into each other, as a bonus the BS-2 keeps the pop up flash down on a D7xxx.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 05:20 AM   #1092
abda53

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Photographer here (as a side thing though). My main profession is web development.

My main focus is boudoir (have a studio and everything), but I shoot a lot of graduations (got 2 tomorrow), lots of portraits, engagements, sports, silhouettes, headshots, and more.. I also shoot real estate and do matterport and drone work for the local Remax realtors out here and I also shoot photos/videos for the local musical theatre. I do shoot cars sometimes but it's really my favorite lol

Sony A7R4, various lenses, lights, etc.

https://boomheadshot.pro IG @Boomheadshot.pro

abda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abda53 For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-17-2022), Capt Spaulding (04-17-2022), Captain Snooze (04-17-2022), soundman98 (04-17-2022), The Red One (04-17-2022)