follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: Will you buy first year?
Buy first year 41 32.03%
Wait for second year 87 67.97%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #15
CLE_86

Drives: 2017 Miata RF
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will likely buy first year. I unloaded my BRZ back in 2017 (was a lease) and have been itching to get back to another one, purchasing and lightly modifying this time around. I do wish the performance pack was available at launch but it’s not a big enough deal to wait (for me). Fully understand and appreciate why others would, though. Can’t really go wrong either way.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:31 PM   #16
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If it's an American made vehicle....must wait for the THIRD year !

As far as the BRZ...trying to get used to how ugly it is both inside and outside. Don't think I'll ever do so. Design by committee not my cup of tea.

I easily have the funds, most likely will spend them elsewhere.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-13-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #17
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Almost every time I've bought the first model year of a car, it's bitten me in the a$$ and I regretted not waiting. Even with some Japanese cars (a 1988 Honda CRX Si and a 1990 Mazda Miata were exceptions; those were first model years and were absolutely wonderful, my only regrets with them were selling them too soon).

My experiences with first model year American cars have been especially instructive for me and have reminded me to avoid them (like my love/hate relationship with my 2015 Ford Mustang GT). The American car companies often seem to leave quality control and de-bugging up to the buyers of first model years. The Japanese companies seem much better in that regard, though problems can still slip through (Honda del Sol), and subsequent model years often also have more options and features.

With the BRZ, I rationalize that 1) it's not really a totally new car, it's basically the same platform that's been made for a while, and 2) I'm not getting any younger. Being 60-something, at this point in my life, a year is a significant fraction of the time I have left (or at least of the time I have left where I might be able to still climb into a BRZ and able to drive a stick).

I hope to test drive both the second gen BRZ and new Nissan 400Z back to back. If either of them speak to me more loudly than my current BRZ, I don't think I'd hold back because of their being first model years (mostly because of my limited remaining time to be able to enjoy driving a stick).

But it will probably work out that I'll end up waiting for for the second model year anyway. First model years of 'hot' cars tend to mean usurious pricing, ADM's, and other sleazy games by greedy rapacious dealers (especially Nissan dealers, which in my experiences have been the absolute worst). As much as I'm sensitive to remaining time, I'm more bothered by being humiliated and taken advantage of by an unethical dealer, and just won't do it. After all, these are cars. They're discretionary toys, not COVID-19 cures. Life doesn't depend on getting a new car, and if it comes down to it, I'd rather just keep driving my current BRZ than get screwed over by a dealer.

YMMV.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (01-02-2021), D20Z (01-01-2021), DriveDriftDogfight86 (01-22-2021), PMok (07-24-2021), soundman98 (01-01-2021), timurrrr (01-05-2021), ToySub1946 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #18
JusTheG

Drives: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5L Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHN9CIAN805 View Post
I no longer fear first year models either, but contrary to you, because I already went thru the first year BS with my current Camaro that I intend to get rid of for the new BRZ, and I know I can handle it, as long as you keep your warranty, don't sweat the first year model's potential problems.
Out of lurking on this forum so much without an account, I am actually impressed by the reasonable takes most everyone is showing. A lot of comparisons to when the First-Gen launched and everyone was wondering when the STI version would come to purchase that. Honestly, I wouldn't blame anyone if they felt disappointed with the Second-Gen after their warranty ends. Use the 2-year complimentary service Subaru provides to gauge how much Quality Control issues appear and see what the manufacturer/dealer responds to maintenance requests. It does not hurt to be cautious with a new generation of a model, especially for new Sensors and new generation of tech on the car. There may be some small issues but 0 km failures should be less likely as the car was based on the original chassis design and tech architecture that Subaru carries in their models. Even Toyota parts like the Dashboard and Vents have been used in their Production cars so the manufacturing defect should be minimal, ideally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
I'm more bothered by being humiliated and taken advantage of by an unethical dealer, and just won't do it. After all, these are cars. They're discretionary toys, not COVID-19 cures. Life doesn't depend on getting a new car, and if it comes down to it, I'd rather just keep driving my current BRZ than get screwed over by a dealer.
This right here is a good mindset to have. I personally have waited and looked for deals on the First-Gen while I worked to save enough money for the car the past year, but it does not mean it's a guaranteed purchase. Always be aware of the things people will go through to secure a Commission/Sale and that things can be put on hold if your requirements have not been met. From my current car and the service I've seen on it, I have a few dealers in Texas that I can base my decision on based on the pricing and packages they can offer with the car.

Best plan is to be patient with any significant purchase, but I say this as a warning to everyone here. Do not be surprised if this generation lasts 5 years or less before Japan Manufacturing standards have to meet the stringent environmental regulations the government wants to follow. The technology and manufacturing suppliers are already preparing for a new transition towards Electrification and Hybrid/Inverter designs. If the industry transitions faster, the current market of sports cars and especially reasonably priced performance vehicles are going to see significant changes.
JusTheG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JusTheG For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-01-2021), Ash_89 (01-02-2021), soundman98 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
But it will probably work out that I'll end up waiting for for the second model year anyway. First model years of 'hot' cars tend to mean usurious pricing, ADM's, and other sleazy games by greedy rapacious dealers (especially Nissan dealers, which in my experiences have been the absolute worst). As much as I'm sensitive to remaining time, I'm more bothered by being humiliated and taken advantage of by an unethical dealer, and just won't do it. After all, these are cars. They're discretionary toys, not COVID-19 cures. Life doesn't depend on getting a new car, and if it comes down to it, I'd rather just keep driving my current BRZ than get screwed over by a dealer.

YMMV.
but, but, the dealers are there to help you through the process! without them, you'd never be able to figure out how to place an order for one of two trims, and one of six colors!

just think of the chaos if average consumers were allowed to pick something like tomato's off a shelf with no help from a tomato sales associate!

and who will ever sell you on trucoat?!?
AnalogMan (01-01-2021), Ash_89 (01-02-2021), bcj (01-01-2021), JesseG (01-01-2021), Spuds (01-01-2021), ToySub1946 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #20
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
If the test drive blows me away enough to forget about how they screwed up the styling maybe I'll get a first year. I don't have anything against first year cars having owned my '13 since I bought it new.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
D20Z (01-02-2021), soundman98 (01-01-2021), ToySub1946 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:30 AM   #21
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
I'll buy first year if Subaru has a Series.Red. I have my doubts they'll have a special edition the first year, but whenever they have a Series.Red I'm a buyer.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #22
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
but, but, the dealers are there to help you through the process! without them, you'd never be able to figure out how to place an order for one of two trims, and one of six colors!

just think of the chaos if average consumers were allowed to pick something like tomato's off a shelf with no help from a tomato sales associate!

and who will ever sell you on trucoat?!?
Life is too short to waste time with sleazy car salespeople playing games. As least for me it is.

Over the past 10 years, the only way I've bought new cars is by email. I spec out the car I want (or search dealer inventories on line), and then send emails to dealers within the radius I'm willing to shop asking for their best price on a particular car. Those that either say they don't quote prices except in person, or who say 'get your other quotes and come to me last' I ignore. There are plenty of cars and dealers to choose from who are willing to be a little more straightforward (except, it seems, with Nissans...).

The last 4 cars we've bought have all been Subarus (BRZ, WRX, and Crosstrek for us, and another Crosstrek for my sister). We ended up buying them from 4 different dealers. Each process couldn't have been easier or simpler. In each case, the dealers provided pricing up-front, the deals were excellent, and there was no bait-and-switch or other games when we came to pick up the cars. In the case of the BRZ, I originally set out to try and buy a Nissan 370Z. But every Nissan dealer I went to over 6 months preferred to play slime games instead of actually selling me a car. My wife was encouraging me to test drive a BRZ (after the delightful experiences of buying our Crosstrek and WRX). Partly out of frustration with being played by so many Nissan dealers, I eventually did drive a BRZ, and ended up buying one.

Though the upcoming 400Z looks appealing and enticing, I suspect my experiences with Nissan dealers won't be any better this time than they were a couple of years ago. If anything they might be even sleazier, with all the hype and excitement over the new Z. Nissan dealer antics will probably keep my butt in the seat of a BRZ, either keeping my current car, or the next-gen if it seduces me.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:00 AM   #23
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I refuse to connect online with any new car Stealership which requires my telephone number in order to initially have contact with me.

Best to email either sales manager or fleet manager. Often, though that seems to fail, as initial return contact can be from a sales person. Oh, what a letdown that is.

This IS the situation with my local Subaru dealer. Contact sales manager, get a call or email from a sales person. Now they've even removed their names from a former list of staff.

All Subaru dealerships want to get me interested in dogs for some reason. The thought of a dog inside any car I own is not a pleasing thought to me.

The flip side of that is that they'd like me to donate to some cause....let THEM donate if they care to do so.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 01-05-2021 at 02:13 AM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #24
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StE92ve View Post
Production of the 2022 twins is scheduled to begin sometime in the spring of 2021 with first deliveries in October 2021. Since I'm in the NE, no sense in getting the first ones off the line to be sheltered most of the winter. So, since my 2014 (delivery 2/13) will be 9 years old come spring 2022 and the twins will have been in production for over 6 months at that point, most of the early production gremlins should be worked out by then and I won't have any reservations getting into a first year Gen2 twin.
It seems really weird to me to introduce a sports car in October. I bet you and I are among a HUGE group who will wait until Spring 2022 to buy because of this. Hopefully they realize this and don't pay too much attention to initial sales numbers.
Also, that gives me an entire summer to think that the 400z isn't too heavy. Not good.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lelandjt For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #25
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I've owned the following first year cars:

1983 Camaro Z28 (technically second year but it was the first year of the L69 engine)
1985 Toyota MR2
2005 Mustang
2013 Scion FRS

I personally had no problems with any of them and honestly, it's rare I buy a new car that ISN'T a first year car now that I think about it.

That said, I will not be buying second gen based on what I've seen so far.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #26
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,763 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
For me there are two gating factors for buying a first year car of the 2nd gen BRZ/86...

1) Seeing it in person and (more importantly) test driving it. Still too many unknows with respect to gearing and the feel of the new engine. Although I generally like what I see so far, nothing compares with a test drive.

2) The availability of the equivalent of a Performance Package. This is likely the real stumbling block since this type of package is usually delayed to provide a second or third year sales boost.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #27
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
Option C: wait for the STI version (and continue enjoying my '13 in the meantime)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
People been waiting for a BRZ STI for almost a decade now lol.
tS does stand for "tuned by STI" but if you're associating STI with forced induction, then yea, not happening lol.
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:54 AM   #28
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
tS does stand for "tuned by STI" but if you're associating STI with forced induction, then yea, not happening lol.
I know it does; but it’s not a full sti model.

tS (as per Subaru/STI themselves) is just a tuning package comprised of styling and suspension/chassis upgrades on a variety of vehicles.

A full blown STI version - with or without turbo - I’m willing to bet will never be an actual thing.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote