follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboxer View Post
1. did you tune the car yourself?
No i have a friend that tunes my cars but he hasn't retuned the car yet with ecutek
2. did you swap injectors? fuel pump?
i switched out the fuel pump to a DW65 but it was running fine after the pump install but now that i look at it closely i think there's something wrong with that pump i installed cuz its running real lean at idle ill put the stock pump on today and see if it fixes the problem , the code P0123 that came on kinda threw me in a different direction
3. change anything recently?
injectors still remain stock so just the pump

No disrespect to your friend but if he hasn't tuned for this platform and its intricacies then he shouldn't be tuning your car.

You'd be wise to have all of your installation looked over by a tuning shop. If you're changing your fuel pump and the canister isn't clipped down or the black hoses got kinked you could be losing fuel pressure which would cause a lean condition or a no start.

If I were you I'd put back in the stock fuel pump. If you haven't upgraded your injectors why would you upgrade the pump? The factory pump is fine for factory sized injectors and even larger ones up to a certain point.

If the tune isn't completely dialed in since some of your last modifications you could be experiencing an issue starting and idling.

As you add these variables you increase the number of areas where things could happen and it becomes more difficult to pinpoint.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
Tboxer

Drives: 2013 Turbo FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
No disrespect to your friend but if he hasn't tuned for this platform and its intricacies then he shouldn't be tuning your car.

You'd be wise to have all of your installation looked over by a tuning shop. If you're changing your fuel pump and the canister isn't clipped down or the black hoses got kinked you could be losing fuel pressure which would cause a lean condition or a no start.

If I were you I'd put back in the stock fuel pump. If you haven't upgraded your injectors why would you upgrade the pump? The factory pump is fine for factory sized injectors and even larger ones up to a certain point.

If the tune isn't completely dialed in since some of your last modifications you could be experiencing an issue starting and idling.

As you add these variables you increase the number of areas where things could happen and it becomes more difficult to pinpoint.

To answer some of your questions this car was previously owned by a member over here on the forums Boosted Boxer i believe and one of the first FRS's to have a turbo kit , car has 40k miles now almost 25k on turbo and runs till this day (knock on wood) and my tuner Huy Tran is pretty well known in the import scene in Houston,Tx (Inline Racing)

i installed the pump and the injectors together but the injector did not respond to the BrzEdit so i took them off for the time being until my ecutek kit comes in

i did all the homework before installing the pump so many DIY out there for installing the DW pump and i looked at all of them but i guess how some of these pumps are made in china and labeled as their own.

i would like to thank everyone for their input on this thread problem found and solved it was A brand new fuel pump that was defected for some reason (i just have the best luck lol) and was replaced for the stock one untill my new pump comes in
Tboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboxer View Post
To answer some of your questions this car was previously owned by a member over here on the forums Boosted Boxer i believe and one of the first FRS's to have a turbo kit , car has 40k miles now almost 25k on turbo and runs till this day (knock on wood) and my tuner Huy Tran is pretty well known in the import scene in Houston,Tx (Inline Racing)

i installed the pump and the injectors together but the injector did not respond to the BrzEdit so i took them off for the time being until my ecutek kit comes in

i did all the homework before installing the pump so many DIY out there for installing the DW pump and i looked at all of them but i guess how some of these pumps are made in china and labeled as their own.

i would like to thank everyone for their input on this thread problem found and solved it was A brand new fuel pump that was defected for some reason (i just have the best luck lol) and was replaced for the stock one untill my new pump comes in
So basically the issue was exactly what I said it could be, which was the fuel pump. My suggestion would be to leave the pump stock and upgrade the injectors if your chosen power level warrants it. You can go with much larger injectors on the stock pump.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Um...go to the dealer.

+1 get this repaired properly before more damage is done and you lose the vehicle for months of repairs
Eski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #19
Tboxer

Drives: 2013 Turbo FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
So basically the issue was exactly what I said it could be, which was the fuel pump. My suggestion would be to leave the pump stock and upgrade the injectors if your chosen power level warrants it. You can go with much larger injectors on the stock pump.

I felt like the car was starving for fuel but when that code came on P0123 kinda threw me away from the fuel pump did really expect a brand new pump would go out but oh well

Thanks for ur help

Last edited by Tboxer; 12-05-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Tboxer is offline   Reply With Quote