follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #7827
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
I still havent received pm back from Robert for putting me on list.
Rob doesn't log in that much. If you pmd him you are on the list. I will try and provide a update on the list/next batch this week.

Thanks
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #7828
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Rob doesn't log in that much. If you pmd him you are on the list. I will try and provide a update on the list/next batch this week.

Thanks
Great! thanks man
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #7829
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is a super long thread... I'm sure someone has asked this.. I'll ask anyways.

Energy transformation is an inherently lossful process. The idea here as I understand it is that your charging batteries during less that 100% utilization cycles to create a reserve, then expending that reserve to add air pressure to the engine under heavy demand.
Is this the idea more or less?

So, when running this kit is there any appreciable fuel consumption variation beyond the considerably increased use under 90%+ throttle? IE when the system is idle and already fully charged.

Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #7830
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
This is a super long thread... I'm sure someone has asked this.. I'll ask anyways.

Energy transformation is an inherently lossful process. The idea here as I understand it is that your charging batteries during less that 100% utilization cycles to create a reserve, then expending that reserve to add air pressure to the engine under heavy demand.

So, when running this kit is there any appreciable fuel consumption variation beyond the considerably increased use under 90%+ throttle? IE when the system is idle and already fully charged.

When not at WOT, the ESC only comes on (pulses) when it detects an airflow restriction. This is generally a rare circumstance for normal driving (7K RPM in 3rd gear but not at WOT, etc). With this being the case, I've noticed no appreciable fuel economy reduction while at non-WOT (although, I'm sure there is, just slightly).
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #7831
BadHabit

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
I know practically nothing about tuning, but from my usage and understanding of the OFT, you can use RomRaider to input anything you want into any of the provided tables, so I suppose you could say, yes you can write your own tune. Sharing tunes seems pretty easy as well, with the only exception being that they have to be the same Cal ID? I think different countries have some different table layouts or locations. You can still copy and paste the data in the tables if you have to.

If you want a single location to learn about the OFT, read the links in the signature of steve99 and you should get a good idea of what you can and can't do: ECU Logging-MAF Scaling-Knock Correction-E85 with OpenFlash Tune http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...01#post1842501 Flashing - Reset - Learning http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68328
Tactrix Ecuflash-Update ROM-Logging http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332
OFT Tips http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71157
Thank you for the feedback. Just recieved the ECS kit from @shif7i7down! Going to pick one of these tuning options soon so I can get on the install.
2000 Audi B5 1.8T "SOLD"
BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadHabit For This Useful Post:
shif7i7down (11-04-2014), Target70 (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #7832
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

That's the basic idea, yes.

On a practical level I have not noticed any difference in MPG, but I jumped to E85 shortly before installing ESC, so it is hard to compare. I am still on my first tank of 93 + ESC but it is also looking about the same.

On a theoretical level, The Motor Controller has a cooling fan that runs 24/7 when ever the system is armed/turned on. So you do have a slight draw from that. LED display, and as DAEMANO mentioned; sometimes in high load conditions the system kicks on to keep from being a restriction. But the motor isn't loaded as it mostly just balances the pressure. I would guess that the battery charging/tending aspect of the controller is in a standby state or constantly active which could also add a small draw. total guess but I would say it uses about as much power as a radio when on.
DAEMANO (11-04-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #7833
fenton

Loving my new auto on/off voltage display. Matches my gauge cluster nicely

The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #7834
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Loving my new auto on/off voltage display. Matches my gauge cluster nicely
Looks terrific, Fenton.

Is there any chance for us "green light display" guys to purchase from Rob an orange/red light display? Perhaps the entire harness assembly? I could actually do just with just the voltmeter and several feet of wire (I could splice it in, which I've already been forced to do when I accidentally cut the wire during my last install).
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winjr For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #7835
rhythmM

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT - White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is @Robftss the only person I can get this kit from? I tried contacting him last week on Friday asking about it, but haven't received a response yet.

Must be super busy haha.

Phantom Super Charged - 2014 BRZ
rhythmM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #7836
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmM View Post
Is @Robftss the only person I can get this kit from? I tried contacting him last week on Friday asking about it, but haven't received a response yet.

Must be super busy haha.
unless someone want's to sell a used one then yes. and if you are truly interested you can expect to wait 6 months (or longer) after putting your name on the list. If you PM'ed Rob about buying one then you have been put on the waiting list. He may or may not confirm it with you but will contact you with payment info when He has your kit built and ready to ship. This is a side project, as he runs a machine shop (from what I understand). Fenton sometimes has inside access to order lists or parts. So he may eventually be able to post a complete waiting list for those in line.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #7837
rhythmM

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT - White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
unless someone want's to sell a used one then yes. and if you are truly interested you can expect to wait 6 months (or longer) after putting your name on the list. If you PM'ed Rob about buying one then you have been put on the waiting list. He may or may not confirm it with you but will contact you with payment info when He has your kit built and ready to ship. This is a side project, as he runs a machine shop (from what I understand). Fenton sometimes has inside access to order lists or parts. So he may eventually be able to post a complete waiting list for those in line.
Interesting, and good to know. I hope I made it on the list, haha I do really want to get that kit. >_<

Also, thanks for the info!

Phantom Super Charged - 2014 BRZ
rhythmM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #7838
fenton

Took a quick video the other day. This video shows what type of acceleration the standard tq250 gives you in second gear when the temps are a little cooler. I believe in this video its was a balmy 6 degrees celsius....

Needless to say the acceleration is enough to cause the tires to constant fight for traction. I talked to Rob last week...he is working though some more refinements....some very exciting ones....Ill let him update everyone when he is ready...or if he gives me the go ahead

Enjoy: Sorry for the crazy shaking camera...twas the best i could do while accelerating in 2nd gear

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFNGlyCRPB0"]Phantom full throttle electric supercharger accele - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
07jazzrs5gt86 (11-10-2014), DAEMANO (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #7839
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
.. Needless to say the acceleration is enough to cause the tires to constant fight for traction. I talked to Rob last week...he is working though some more refinements....some very exciting ones....Ill let him update everyone when he is ready...or if he gives me the go ahead

Ugh! Suspense!

My name is Robftss... you have permission to spill it. Go right ahead.

p.s. Nice vid, reminds me of my daily drive to work ;D
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
fenton (11-10-2014), raven1231 (11-10-2014), sato (11-11-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #7840
fenton

Quote:
Took a quick video the other day. This video shows what type of acceleration the standard tq250 gives you in second gear when the temps are a little cooler. I believe in this video its was a balmy 6 degrees celsius....

Needless to say the acceleration is enough to cause the tires to constant fight for traction. I talked to Rob last week...he is working though some more refinements....some very exciting ones....Ill let him update everyone when he is ready...or if he gives me the go ahead

Enjoy: Sorry for the crazy shaking camera...twas the best i could do while accelerating in 2nd gear

This will be the last video for awhile now, car is in storage for winter

I'm still going to be tracking requests on the forum so dont be afraid to ask questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-10-2014)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive