follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
greenguy101
VMFIC ORLANDO SCIKOTICS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Megan Racing Coilovers.

Does anyone have any experience with Megan Racing products? I find mixed reviews when I search the web. I find the price of there coilovers very appealing but is the price too good to be true. The reality is that I more than likely will not be tracking my car anytime soon and it is my DD. I want to get rid of the wheel gap and up till now I was planning on going with some Eibach Sport Lines since I am not looking to drop $1,200+ on coilovers. Then I saw all the ads for the Megan Coilovers and they are so affordable compared to the other companies! Any suggestions??
Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
You get what you pay for. If you want ride compliance, useable adjustability (soft = soft, stiff = stiff), longevity, those sorts of things, the Megan coilovers are probably not where you will get these things. Some of their products are solid, but with that part of the car, stick to the pros.

The way I look at it is this: you spent all the money you did to get one of the best handling cars out there. Spend as much attention choosing the suspension as you did the car, and you will be rewarded. Do you need the adjustability of coilovers? Will you be using the car in competition and playing around with damping, camber and spring rates? If not, Eibach springs will lower the car and stiffen it up a bit for less money. I've seen too many people buy cheap coilovers and they blow, rust out, whatever. It's not worth it. Even the entry-level TEIN coilovers aren't that spectacular from what I've seen (it's sort of like comparing the Michelin Primacy tire on an FR-S to a Pilot Sport Cup III on a Porsche. Just because a good brand makes them doesn't make them all good).

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (09-07-2012), greenguy101 (09-03-2012), SpeedR (09-23-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
greenguy101
VMFIC ORLANDO SCIKOTICS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
You get what you pay for. If you want ride compliance, useable adjustability (soft = soft, stiff = stiff), longevity, those sorts of things, the Megan coilovers are probably not where you will get these things. Some of their products are solid, but with that part of the car, stick to the pros.

The way I look at it is this: you spent all the money you did to get one of the best handling cars out there. Spend as much attention choosing the suspension as you did the car, and you will be rewarded. Do you need the adjustability of coilovers? Will you be using the car in competition and playing around with damping, camber and spring rates? If not, Eibach springs will lower the car and stiffen it up a bit for less money. I've seen too many people buy cheap coilovers and they blow, rust out, whatever. It's not worth it. Even the entry-level TEIN coilovers aren't that spectacular from what I've seen (it's sort of like comparing the Michelin Primacy tire on an FR-S to a Pilot Sport Cup III on a Porsche. Just because a good brand makes them doesn't make them all good).
Thanks man. Yea, I really don't need the adjustability at all, at least not for now. I'll stick with my original plan and get a good set of springs to drop the wheel gap. If I ever decide to seriously track the car than I will invest in a great set of coilovers.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Ground control I believe has a coilover sleeve kit out now but you might have to call them. It's another option using the stock struts and having height adjustability.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Scooter Style

Drives: 2015 BRZ/ Blue Series/ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have had 3 sets of megan coilovers. 1 S13, 1 S14, 1 IS300.

For the price they are GREAT! The collars can get stuck sometimes and are made of softer metal and can be a pain if you don't clean and lube them.

They rode GREAT on my IS300 and S14. Maybe a little too much dampening adjustment, but w/e.

I would trust em!
2013 SWP BRZ #137 First BRZ in Columbus, OH! SOLD
2015 WRB Blue Series #900/1000
Team Rowdy
Ohio Native
Instgram brooks_church
Scooter Style is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooter Style For This Useful Post:
FRS8SIX (09-09-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Toyobaru808

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bump!
anyone else with info on megans??
Toyobaru808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
there are a couple issues here. first, most people who are going to give you reviews of the megans have little experience with other brands. i would imagine its this way with many companies because you seldom find people who have multiple coilovers for the same car. second, the price means they cut corners. many other companies offer the option to add adjustable shocks and that option usually costs more than the total megan package. finally, the best way to see how well something performs is by looking at the track record. have you ever seen a car win a race at a competitive level on megans?
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I would get BC or Fortune over Megan...
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Toyobaru808

ive had many people I know personally who have rode in and built many cars with different coilover including ohlins kw BC tein and megans and they said that even though they are cheap they are very good especially for the price. im using the car as a dd with some spirited rides down twistys with a possibility of autox. That being said I dont need high end coilovers. Im looking for adjustabilty as well as an improvement (doesnt need to be a massive one) over stock.

But I do know where youre coming from and completely agree. its just that kw's mifht be overkill for my needs.

can you suggeat a coilover that fits my needs?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyobaru808 View Post
ive had many people I know personally who have rode in and built many cars with different coilover including ohlins kw BC tein and megans and they said that even though they are cheap they are very good especially for the price. im using the car as a dd with some spirited rides down twistys with a possibility of autox. That being said I dont need high end coilovers. Im looking for adjustabilty as well as an improvement (doesnt need to be a massive one) over stock.

But I do know where youre coming from and completely agree. its just that kw's mifht be overkill for my needs.

can you suggeat a coilover that fits my needs?

well if youre on a budget the first thing that should go is adjustability. to do that right is a very expensive task. your objective should be getting a shock that is valved for the spring rate. having driven a car with the coilovers is not enough. do you know if you can have them rebuilt? do you know how long they will last?

if i were on a sub $1500 budget, i would go with ground controls on some bilsteins (maybe even revalved). that way you have a product that you can afford, can always find someone to rebuild them (you can even do it yourself), and have a product that has proven to be competitive and high quality
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Toyobaru808

Ive thought about shocks and spring combo and it does appeal to me but the lack to shocks out right now is the only thing holding me back.

What would you have as a bare minimum for my needs coilover, im not on a budget and I will shell out 2500 but id rathet not

Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyobaru808 View Post
Ive thought about shocks and spring combo and it does appeal to me but the lack to shocks out right now is the only thing holding me back.

What would you have as a bare minimum for my needs coilover, im not on a budget and I will shell out 2500 but id rathet not

what are your needs? in general i would just stay away from companies that dont do both research and production inhouse.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Megan Racing Track series are their only coilover I will say anything good about. Good price, good performance - and they seem to hold up alright. Their other stuff is pretty questionable .. buyer beware.

There are better coilovers for the price yet.. HSD will have a release VERY soon for our cars.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
RWD-boxer

Drives: Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like Megan parts ad very good luck with them
RWD-boxer is offline   Reply With Quote