follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #519
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoRco View Post
Thanks for the post man! These guys are on top of my list now. I feel a lot safer following the opinion you guys give me.

Will I have issues getting an installation spot at Frisbee? The tony grayham dealership said they'd need to keep my car overnight. And that's proving to be a serious issue for me!

If they have the tires you want in stock they will book an appointment for you and it takes 1 hour. Tour car will get done on the scheduled appointment. I am using my OEM rims for the winter as I plan on getting 18's next spring. If you are planning on using the OEM for summer then 16 inch tires and steelies might just be the way to go to save some coin. I
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pbrown For This Useful Post:
PoRco (12-16-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #520
Oz

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got the alloys because I don't like how the steelies look. but if you are ok with the steelies, then go for it! you'll save a ton of money.

Tire Bay ordered my tires and wheels and they arrived 3 days later. Only problem is they close at 6, so I had to leave work early to get them put on. Whatever you decide, you'll be happy with. But get those winters put on soon, I hear we got some snow comin!
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oz For This Useful Post:
PoRco (12-16-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #521
Oz

ps. it only took them about an hour to put em on. I walked over to canadian tire to buy some door bumpers for my garage, and when I got back, the job was done.

but bottom line, whoever gives you the best quote and is the most reliable is who you should go with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oz For This Useful Post:
PoRco (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #522
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Drives: Ablaze MT (2016)
HOLY SHIT GUYS,

I just tried driving over to school to study with a friend and my car was SLIPPING all over the place on the accelerate. I guess that's rear wheel drive for you eh?

I could barely get out 200 m before I pulled over to the side. It was riddiculous. As soon as I was hitting 20, the car was slipping and it was only due to my extensive gaming experience that I was able to even controll that (I was headed toward the car head on on my left)

I didn't want risk driving any further since I'm a new driver.

I parked, got out of the car for 5 mins to think of what to do. I got back in and I tried moving forward. Now get this...

When I accelerated past 10, my car slipped again, causing me to take a semi u-turn. I looked around quickly for cars and since I was clear I just went with it...and drove back home at speed around 10.

Jesus Guys! What do I do? At this point I'm afraid to even take it to the tire guys to install it! Maybe if they clear the roads I'll be fine to take it?

I can take it only on Tuesday since Monday is my last two final exams!

I hate myself for procrastinating on this, but I have my exams priority and told myself I'll get it done after exams! Didn't think it would be this bad!!

Tips?
PoRco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #523
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown View Post
If they have the tires you want in stock they will book an appointment for you and it takes 1 hour. Tour car will get done on the scheduled appointment. I am using my OEM rims for the winter as I plan on getting 18's next spring. If you are planning on using the OEM for summer then 16 inch tires and steelies might just be the way to go to save some coin. I
That's good news that it takes only an hour! Thanks man
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #524
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
I got the alloys because I don't like how the steelies look. but if you are ok with the steelies, then go for it! you'll save a ton of money.

Tire Bay ordered my tires and wheels and they arrived 3 days later. Only problem is they close at 6, so I had to leave work early to get them put on. Whatever you decide, you'll be happy with. But get those winters put on soon, I hear we got some snow comin!
Fuck, yeah, I'm in trouble now!!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #525
KingGeo

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
hope it melts over the next few days and soon as you have clear roads again, get them snows on!
even with snow tires today at some points it was easy to get the ass swinging in the corners

Quote:
HOLY SHIT GUYS,

I just tried driving over to school to study with a friend and my car was SLIPPING all over the place on the accelerate. I guess that's rear wheel drive for you eh?

I could barely get out 200 m before I pulled over to the side. It was riddiculous. As soon as I was hitting 20, the car was slipping and it was only due to my extensive gaming experience that I was able to even controll that (I was headed toward the car head on on my left)

I parked, got out of the car for 5 mins to think of what to do. I got back in and I tried moving forward. Now get this...

When I accelerated past 10, my car slipped again, causing me to take a semi u-turn. I looked around quickly for cars and since I was clear I just went with it...and drove back home at speed around 10.

Jesus Guys! What do I do? At this point I'm afraid to even take it to the tire guys to install it! Maybe if they clear the roads I'll be fine to take it?

I hate myself for procrastinating on this, but I have my exams priority and told myself I'll get it done after exams! Didn't think it would be this bad!!

Tips?
KingGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #526
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=PoRco;612231]HOLY SHIT GUYS,

PoRco. I am busting a gut laughing over here. I knew the Summer tires were going to be bad. Your harrowing experience just proved it. i must say I am picturing you standing outside looking at your car and thinking WTF!!!! See I am still laughing. Glad you and the car are safe. Get them on soon as possible. PS. Try putting some extra weight in the trunk. hopefully we can all get together next spring for a good chuckle on this story.
Next spring gentlemen I am going to try and bring my wheels and rims over through the Ogdensburgh UPS. I will save a few hundred bucks on shipping and clain $400 less dollars on the gst Hst as we are allowed $200 each (wife) tax free when we come back across. Most of the vendors in the states are Free shipping anywhere in the US.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #527
Deathreaper

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
HOLY SHIT GUYS,

Tips?

I managed to drive from Montreal to Ottawa during the snow storm today on the summer tyres. You really have to feather the throttle up to 4th so the rear doesn't start going sideways (I don't think the TC was designed around the idea of winter driving on this car). It drives OK on a decently cleared highway, but I kept below 90 just to be safe. Like you say it's not exactly easy to drive it on an uncleared road even at extremely low speed. I would certainly put a set of snow tyres on it if I intended to drive it for the rest of the winter.
Deathreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #528
Oz

PoRco, today was tough, even with the winters on. I know it is supposed to be 0 degrees today at some point, and by that point they probably would have salted the roads and driving conditions should improve a bit.

tomorrow will be better driving conditions too. just don't make any sudden turns and take your corners slooooow. you'll do fine, I'm sure.

but get those things on as soon as you can. driving is like night and day with winters on.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #529
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hey Guys,
Here I thought I was running late getting my winters on 2 weeks ago.
It is almost Christmas, as in "Christ get your winters on already!". LOL

Hopefully everyone is pretty much on snows and no one is actually attempting to run the car through winter on the OEM tires as they are summer only.

Roads were decent this morning considering the hype about the weather, only got slowed down on back roads because the guy way out in front of the queue was probably on all-seasons and drivin' like Grampa.

Enjoy the winter, it is lots of fun in these cars. My son and I took the opportunity to do some drifting yesterday (parking lot), he thought it was so cool.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #530
KingGeo

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
so today was the worst so far. great day to find out how good the Traction control is.
keep safe you there!
KingGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #531
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah, I found there was decent grip once you got moving. I've been running it with VSC Sport mode on.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #532
Oz

I guess i was wrong about the weather being better today. That was insane. And especially being an amateur at driving MT, it was an interesting drive this morning.

PoRco, you alright out there? Couldn't help but think of your posts from yesterday while slipping and sliding to work.