follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #29
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Because i am old and conservative with money, well old anyway. I figured that because i knew that i would do mods to the engine at some point that i would get Ecutech and and a good tune for the stock engine. Delicious send a tune and i was impressed with what it did for the dip and driving experience. Since then i did install a SC. Needles to say it took care of any problems concerning the dip.

To be honest, i ordered the Sprintex before they were even shipping in this country. Bill was kind enough to send me a tune while i was waiting.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #30
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I honestly have no idea how anyone can think this car "cannot keep up with traffic" unless said traffic comprises of nothing but cars with over 300 hp and using all 300 horses on a daily basis at all times.
Agree! The BRZ/86 certainly is no muscle car, but I also wonder about the 'can't keep up with traffic' comments'. Is their 'traffic' on a quarter mile drag strip? Maybe the Nurburgring (though I think the car would acquit itself quite well on a road course)? Or are they the usual internet experts that have never actually driven the car themselves?

I'll admit to having been unduly influenced by the chorus of 'no power!' comments that kept me from considering the car for the first few years it was out. My wife encouraged me to drive one. Over the process of buying her Crosstrek, she gently pushed me into sitting in one on the showroom floor, and then taking it out for a test drive.

My first reaction on the road was, what the hell were all those people whining about? This car is a blast!

It's not the kind of car to rev the engine at stoplights and challenge Camaro owners to a sprint to the next light, but I've never once felt in 'danger' or that I couldn't keep up with any traffic I've found on any roads in the northeast.

YMMV.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
2020BRZtS (03-15-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (03-15-2021), Capt Spaulding (03-15-2021), cjd (04-11-2021), ddevl_86 (03-15-2021), ls1ac (03-15-2021), Ultramaroon (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #31
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It's *all* benchracers with no license,

with a few "OVER 9000!!!" fantasists.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #32
AnalogMan

Question for those with 2017+ cars:

Did a tune and/or header make a meaningful difference for you? One you can feel in the seat of your pants?

I'd been going back and forth about whether or not to do a tune with or without a header on my car. I've read all the threads and watched all the youtube videos. From what I understand, it seems the benefits of a tune and header are most noticeable on pre-2017 cars, and less so on 2017+.

Has anyone with a 2017+ done a tune w/ or w/o a header? Can you really feel the difference? I don't care about shaving tenths of a second off some time, or a performance improvement that can only be measured on a dyno or a stopwatch. To me it would only be worthwhile if I can feel it in the seat of my pants (the only dyno that matters to me).

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-15-2021), LimitedSlip (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #33
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post

Did a tune and/or header make a meaningful difference for you? One you can feel in the seat of your pants?

I'd been going back and forth about whether or not to do a tune with or without a header on my car. I've read all the threads and watched all the youtube videos. From what I understand, it seems the benefits of a tune and header are most noticeable on pre-2017 cars, and less so on 2017+.

Has anyone with a 2017+ done a tune w/ or w/o a header? Can you really feel the difference? I don't care about shaving tenths of a second off some time, or a performance improvement that can only be measured on a dyno or a stopwatch. To me it would only be worthwhile if I can feel it in the seat of my pants (the only dyno that matters to me).

Thanks!

My 2018 BRZ improved in some aspects after loading the stage 1 tune from OFT. The most noticeable was the cold starts and RPMS in general. Car was quieter and took less time to settle down. Performance wise, like most tunes, you'll see the difference in power on the higher RPMs, after 4000. The torque dip was in a way diminished, but it was still noticeable, just not as evident as its stock form. Comparing the stage one, against a stage 2, which is the header version, the power difference is substantially greater. No torque dip, better throttle response, and certainly more power along the powerband.

I'm not saying a stage 1 will knock your socks off, but you can easily feel the difference in power. For $400, with the ability to switch between tunes with the touch of a button, is worth trying. Plus you can load an E85 tune within 3 minutes, switch back if you get tired or weary of it.
AnalogMan (03-15-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (03-15-2021), LimitedSlip (03-15-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #34
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
My 2018 BRZ improved in some aspects after loading the stage 1 tune from OFT. The most noticeable was the cold starts and RPMS in general. Car was quieter and took less time to settle down. Performance wise, like most tunes, you'll see the difference in power on the higher RPMs, after 4000. The torque dip was in a way diminished, but it was still noticeable, just not as evident as its stock form. Comparing the stage one, against a stage 2, which is the header version, the power difference is substantially greater. No torque dip, better throttle response, and certainly more power along the powerband.

I'm not saying a stage 1 will knock your socks off, but you can easily feel the difference in power. For $400, with the ability to switch between tunes with the touch of a button, is worth trying. Plus you can load an E85 tune within 3 minutes, switch back if you get tired or weary of it.
Thank you! That was the best and most useful review of the topic I've seen!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-15-2021), spcmafia (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #35
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!
I have a 2020 with 10k miles on it and did the OFT Stage 1 tune about 4,000 miles ago. Consistent with above, it was helpful and worth it in many respects but did not do a ton to cure the torque dip issue.

Last week I installed JDL UEL catless headers and switched to the Stage 2+ e85 tune (OFT off-the-shelf). And yes - it makes a HUGE seat of the pants difference. With respect to the torque dip, its pretty much completely gone.

You don't get the same kick that I used to get with my 2007 BMW 335 coupe when the turbos kicked in, but it still moves pretty quick from a dead stop. But the increase in speed/rpm/power feels almost completely linear. It's funny, because stock the car feels a little like a turbo (not in a good way) with the torque dip being sort of a big, slow spool up delay.

Most importantly, the elimination of the dip means you get into the 4,000 - 5,000 rpm range (where the engine really sings) that much quicker. And once you are there, particularly in 3rd, the car actually does feel fast. Prior to the mods, it felt like I was always working my rear end off to get into that range and always having to think about it for downshift purposes for something like making a pass on the highway. Now I don't have to think about it at all.

Throw in the sound of the exhaust and Subie UEL burble (and the fact that I did a large stereo/speaker upgrade), and the car is more or less perfect for what I want it to be right now.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-15-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #36
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!

I have a 2020. I did the OFT Stage 1 and did not feel it helped much with the torque dip.

Switched to the Wayno Roms tune and that really helped smooth out the dip. You don't really feel the car falling into it, but get a nice little kick around 5K RPMs.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LancePower For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #37
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!
I have a 2020 BRZ and installed a UEL header and did a stage 2 tune the same day (Ecutek and Delicious Tuning). There is a very noticeable difference. I drove it the first 4,500 miles entirely stock. You feel that "suck-back" much sooner, and the entire powerband feels smoother
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #38
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,113 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!
Yes. I did both. Mine is a 2017.

I drove my car for a couple of weeks on oft stg1 before doing the header and eventually getting a custom tune from @tomm.brz

I also drove a friend's car with a custom tune with only a catback.

The header and tune made the most difference. It felt better up top with the canned stg2 tune, and then Tommasos tune made the mid range feel stronger with same feel uptop.

Oft stg1 tune with stock header made no difference to me. My friends custom tuned catback car didn't feel any different to me either.

Dollars spent is probably important with expectations. 1-2k is probably the sweet spot. Anything beyond you are chasing a specific sound or that extra 10% power. Which if fine if money isn't a factor.

I got a gently used gruppe-s header off a friend for $400 cad. Plus the cost of the OFT and custom tune I am well under 1.5k. I'm happy with the end result.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-15-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #39
AnalogMan

Thank you very much! These observations are appreciated, and very useful!

I find it hard to interpret a dyno result like "4 ft-lb improvement in torque at 3500 rpm", because I don't know how that actually feels. These kinds of comments, on what it's like to actually drive the car and not just data, are much more meaningful!
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #40
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
I have a 2020 BRZ and installed a UEL header and did a stage 2 tune the same day (Ecutek and Delicious Tuning). There is a very noticeable difference. I drove it the first 4,500 miles entirely stock. You feel that "suck-back" much sooner, and the entire powerband feels smoother
Thank you! Is your header catted or catless?

In my area emissions are taken seriously, and I probably couldn't get away with a catless header. I've seen some comments that it's removal of the cat that makes the most difference with a header.

Last edited by AnalogMan; 03-15-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #41
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you! Is your header catted or catless?

In my area emissions are taken seriously, and a I probably couldn't get away with a catless header. I've seen some comments that it's removal of the cat that makes the most difference with a header.
Mine is Tomei’s UEL catless. But I have heard good things about the hi-flow catted headers. You’re going to get some performance from a new header no matter what. I would change the over pipe too because the stock one has some sharp angles and if you’re keeping the cat in the header and front pipe, maybe you can pick up some airflow on the already uncatted pipes with additional width and smoothing of the pipe angles. My Tomei over pipe is 2.5”

Maybe throw in a K&N drop-in air filter for $60 and call it a day. I’m only doing exhaust work, tune, and a simple filter then leaving the engine alone. I love the NA feel and not trying to mess around too much with a engine that only has 6k miles
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #42
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Do Yaris' and corollas exist in your traffic?

I honestly have no idea how anyone can think this car "cannot keep up with traffic" unless said traffic comprises of nothing but cars with over 300 hp and using all 300 horses on a daily basis at all times.
In Texas our roads are full of trucks. Oh and never race a truck in Texas. It probably has 800hp and will roll coal for blocks.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-15-2021), ddevl_86 (03-15-2021), ls1ac (03-15-2021)

Tags
torque, torque solution, tune