follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 AM   #29
BlackLotus

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The twins will feel a lot less powerful because they don't have the same low end torque of a big V8. If you're in the right gear in a twin, they'll be about the same acceleration. You'll have to work more to get the power with twins, staying in the correct gear.
Stuff like this is what I wanted to know because people will joke that minivans can pass this car
BlackLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #30
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLotus View Post
Well if you really read what I was asking I even said I know the brz is not meant for straight line speed, all I asked was how would the power compare to my car since the numbers are very close
oh no doubt i read that, but my issue is exactly that, why ask? especially when since the beginning of the universe everyone knows this fact about the twins if you're worried you will probably be disappointed sooner or later. ive read enough "goodbye" threads on this forum to know many folks didn't really get the point of the 86 twins from the start.

Quote:
Stuff like this is what I wanted to know because people will joke that minivans can pass this car
what did @jsimon7777 tell you that wasn't already pretty obvious lol. half the cylinders, less than half the displacement...what is the old saying? no replacement for....remember, your 2001 Mustang GT had an original MSRP of $27 K which is roughly $38 K now to put some perspective..

..and it can happen, off the line a V6 minivan can give you a run for your money especially if you short shift into 2nd and they are WOT...

just throw it out the window, who cares if you're slower than some cars, you should be having more fun..I don't bang each gear off the redline from every stop so I get passed but my manhood is still intact

E: i know this is an automatic 86 but tbh it isn't really going to be a night and day difference with a stick, probably would have been a tie or slightly edges it with one.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUuRVkgJmg"]Drag-Strip Challenge: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Vs. 2017 Toyota 86 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by HKz; 03-04-2018 at 05:36 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #31
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
oh no doubt i read that, but my issue is exactly that, why ask? especially when since the beginning of the universe everyone knows this fact about the twins if you're worried you will probably be disappointed sooner or later. ive read enough "goodbye" threads on this forum to know many folks didn't really get the point of the 86 twins from the start.

what did @jsimon7777 tell you that wasn't already pretty obvious lol. half the cylinders, less than half the displacement...what is the old saying? no replacement for....

..and it can happen, off the line a V6 minivan can give you a run for your money especially if you short shift into 2nd...

just throw it out the window, who cares if you're slower than some cars, you should be having more fun..I don't bang each gear off the redline from every stop so I get passed but my manhood is still intact

E: i know this is an automatic 86 but tbh it isn't really going to be a night and day difference with a stick, probably would have been a tie or slightly edges it with one.

Wondering if they did this with the 86 in normal automatic or in sport mode? I know it's not a fast car off the line, I've had people easily pull ahead of me off the line too many times, would just be a nice point to clarify as the car does drive very differently in sport mode.

Still, the fun part of driving this car is going through corners faster than everyone else, not going straight. That Pacifica will probably roll over in a hard turn before the 86 even starts to break the back end loose.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #32
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Wondering if they did this with the 86 in normal automatic or in sport mode? I know it's not a fast car off the line, I've had people easily pull ahead of me off the line too many times, would just be a nice point to clarify as the car does drive very differently in sport mode.

Still, the fun part of driving this car is going through corners faster than everyone else, not going straight. That Pacifica will probably roll over in a hard turn before the 86 even starts to break the back end loose.
my first FRS was an auto and I noticed absolutely no difference between normal and sport mode when I was WOT. While WOT, the auto trans will bang each gear off the redline whether you're in sport or normal modes. Sport mode merely holds lower gears longer when you aren't WOT and forces the trans to downshift under hard braking.. in short when it comes to a drag race, sport mode does not improve anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Brink (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #33
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
my first FRS was an auto and I noticed absolutely no difference between normal and sport mode when I was WOT. While WOT, the auto trans will bang each gear off the redline whether you're in sport or normal modes. Sport mode merely holds lower gears longer when you aren't WOT and forces the trans to downshift under hard braking.. in short when it comes to a drag race, sport mode does not improve anything.
Good to know, haven't done any drag racing myself yet and I tend to already be in sport mode when I'm accelerating hard so I haven't done much comparison of WOT for the two modes. I definitely have noticed the sport mode downshift under hard braking though, was a bit surprising the first time.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
HKz (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #34
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Good to know, haven't done any drag racing myself yet and I tend to already be in sport mode when I'm accelerating hard so I haven't done much comparison of WOT for the two modes. I definitely have noticed the sport mode downshift under hard braking though, was a bit surprising the first time.
ya lmao it surprised me when i found out too
Old 03-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #35
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
If you're after acceleration, the twins are really the wrong cars for you. They're acceptable, but that's about it. If I already had a Mustang GT and wanted to go fast, I'd just slap a supercharger on there. Get all the torque I want without having to spend on a new car. I like fast acceleration. My RAM pickup does a nice job of it, with the 3.92 gears. It's just not a twin thing.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
HKz (03-04-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 AM   #36
BlackLotus

I've gotten answers that I wanted. Just for everyone to know, I know this car is about the driving, the curvy roads, it wasn't made for the drag strip. I'm not looking for a fast car I'm looking for a good daily that's also fun to drive on the weekends.
BlackLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackLotus For This Useful Post:
Spuds (03-06-2018), Tcoat (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #37
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
BlackLotus - I've only had mine 3 months but "fun" is this car. Forget weekends, I'm happy to volunteer for grocery runs for an excuse to drive it a bit. (But definitely anxious to get it to the track!) Reminds me a lot of my '71 240Z.
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #38
GrantedTaken
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In the curves, the BRZ is probably the fastest production car on the market today.
The only thing faster is a Lotus Elise & Miata

There is no escaping physics in terms of how fast this car can corner.
Momentum = mass • velocity

No other moderm production car can take turns at the speed of a BRZ that weighs 2700 lbs.
Bigger cars will fly into a ditch trying to keep up with a BRZ in the corners.

The BRZ is very very fast, if you know how to drive a momentum car.
The only performance upgrade you need are summer tires.

Stop looking at 0-60 times. Those people have no clue what this car is about.
They do not understand why BRZ is one of the fastest cars produced in the last 30 years.

Last edited by GrantedTaken; 03-05-2018 at 03:42 PM.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #39
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
In the curves, the BRZ is probably the fastest production car on the market today.

No other moderm production car can take turns at the speed of a BRZ that weighs 2700 lbs.

They do not understand why BRZ is one of the fastest cars produced in the last 30 years.
The new Mustangs and Camaros can easily keep up with the Twins in the curves. It is not a straight forward formula since the are not all on solid suspension and identical tires.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #40
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Be careful saying the BRZ is the fastest production car in corners. It most definitely is not, you have to think about Porsche when you make statements like that, even a GTR probably out corners a BRZ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Geese1 (03-05-2018), Tcoat (03-05-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #41
GrantedTaken
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Be careful saying the BRZ is the fastest production car in corners. It most definitely is not, you have to think about Porsche when you make statements like that, even a GTR probably out corners a BRZ.
Porsche 911 is 500 lbs heavier than BRZ.
GTR is half a ton heavier than BRZ.

They can not take a turn at the same speed as BRZ
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #42
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Porsche 911 is 500 lbs heavier than BRZ.
GTR is half a ton heavier than BRZ.

They can not take a turn at the same speed as BRZ
So the lighter the car the faster it can take a corner? What about literally every supercar then??

That's some seriously flawed logic.