follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2015, 04:35 AM   #6721
smudge

Drives: Supercharged GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
Howdy all, I've been trawling this thread for some ideas, although it is difficult sorting out the good from the bad.

I'm running an intercooled 210 - serial number S5-210-010313-0001. The number worries me a bit - I only had the blower installed about 9 months ago and I have a feeling I've been duped with an old stock model....any way I'm facing some issues that I am trying to reduce.

One is power - I'm only sitting at about 135 rwkw on 98 RON fuel - I would expect this kit to make around 150 rwkw at least.

The other one is heat - on a recent sprint session here in Queensland where the ambient air temp was 34 degrees C (94 F), track temp would've been at least 45 C (113 F) I would imagine.

I have two after market IAT's - One in the airbox for intake temps, one post screw/intercooler, the airbox temp was sitting pretty around 45 degrees C, after 4 laps, post screw temp hit a whopping 69 degrees C - 156 F.

I'm running an oil cooler, so oil was a happy 90 C (194 F), coolant never saw over 90 C - everything else was apples.

Headers have been ceramic coated, bonnet is a siebon CF Vented, both engine and intercooler coolant have been boosted with Motul Mo Cool and flow into the engine bay is good, I've ensured there is no high pressure behind the radiator.

There are a couple of idea's I've had - insulate the coolant line into the Laminova plate...avoid any of the heat from the oil cooler lines affecting the coolant, insulate the plastic intake tube into the blower to stop heat soak, remove the skid plate from the bottom of the engine bay to increase air flow past the headers to remove some of the heat travelling upwards. Larger water pump in the intercooler circuit to increase the flow....

I'm open to other suggestions, so fire away!

Consider yourself lucky! I've just had my 335 kit mapped on a very cool day (ambient temp couldn't have been more than 15 degrees C) and on a 15 seconds dyno pull we saw IAT's of 80 degrees C!

Seeing as e85 isn't available in the UK, my only real option is to install a meth/water injection kit which I'll be doing early next year

Air flow in and around the engine bay doesn't make a lot of difference from what I've read. It's purely the fact that the charger runs so hot as it's such a compact little unit
smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smudge For This Useful Post:
86TOYO2k17 (07-13-2019)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #6722
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Smudge. I'd look into a bigger intercooler radiator and an uprated pump while you are at it too.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 AM   #6723
Harro

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
Do you know where I could source a post blower air temperature plate, and temp sensor, or are you the guy I already asked a while ago? or if you don't use the MAP plate to monitor temps, where are you doing it?

For your temperature question I would ask Mike at Moto-East. He's very familiar with the kit and the 335 kit as well. He's pretty busy however so don't expect instant turnaround with a response.
Sorry stocky - I'm not sure where you could source a temp plate from - I used a dual input temp sensor - one sensor in the airbox, the other drilled into the lower part of the blower casing. It's dead accurate, although not for the faint hearted, drilling into the casing.

Thanks for the heads up too mate, I'll hit up Mike and see what he thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge View Post
Consider yourself lucky! I've just had my 335 kit mapped on a very cool day (ambient temp couldn't have been more than 15 degrees C) and on a 15 seconds dyno pull we saw IAT's of 80 degrees C!

Seeing as e85 isn't available in the UK, my only real option is to install a meth/water injection kit which I'll be doing early next year

Air flow in and around the engine bay doesn't make a lot of difference from what I've read. It's purely the fact that the charger runs so hot as it's such a compact little unit
Holy crap man, 80 C is massive - I'm not sure what damage may happen at that temp, but it can't be good. Water/ meth injection is one option I had considered but I need to research it a bit more. Considered putting a water jet that hits the intercooler radiator to try and get the temps down?
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #6724
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post
Smudge. I'd look into a bigger intercooler radiator and an uprated pump while you are at it too.

Bigger pump is something we've considered, not sure the bigger intercooler will do much but it can't hurt I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
Holy crap man, 80 C is massive - I'm not sure what damage may happen at that temp, but it can't be good. Water/ meth injection is one option I had considered but I need to research it a bit more. Considered putting a water jet that hits the intercooler radiator to try and get the temps down?

Yeah it's not good, a meth injection kit will help ease the issue but the 335 kit will always run hot
Old 12-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #6725
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Bigger pump wont help much if the radiator sturggles to cool it.

I'd say you need to connect up some thermocouples and measure the water temp at various points in the system to determine how to improve things. I mean, the laminova is too small, we all know this, so what car you do to improve that? More flow will mean you can pull more heat with the laminova, but you need to make sure the radiator and get rid of the additional heat as the water passes thought it. Every little helps.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #6726
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post
Bigger pump wont help much if the radiator sturggles to cool it.

I'd say you need to connect up some thermocouples and measure the water temp at various points in the system to determine how to improve things. I mean, the laminova is too small, we all know this, so what car you do to improve that? More flow will mean you can pull more heat with the laminova, but you need to make sure the radiator and get rid of the additional heat as the water passes thought it. Every little helps.

Not that I've really looked, but I'm not aware of any larger air-water coolers out there? Some custom brackets would probably have to be made
Old 12-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #6727
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Harro I see that you are in Brissy. Have you talked to Tony at coyote tuning? He has a ton of knowledge in these cars and I wouldn't trust anyone else in Brisbane as much as him.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #6728
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azynneo View Post
quick question, is there supposed to be a washer or an O-ring where the dipstick is
confirm, no o-ring
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #6729
Harro

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest86 View Post
Harro I see that you are in Brissy. Have you talked to Tony at coyote tuning? He has a ton of knowledge in these cars and I wouldn't trust anyone else in Brisbane as much as him.
Certainly have, Tony is a good mate of mine - and has given me the safe tune I run now. He's a busy fella though so as soon as I can I'll book some more dyno time with him and explore options. The Sprintex kit is a challenge to tune though and he has enough projects on without me adding to the list.

Cheers for the direction though mate.
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #6730
SprintexUSA

Drives: 2014 FT86
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Hello, all.

We have full SPS kits in stock, now, just in time for Christmas.

SPS 210 kit--$5,695 retail
SPS 335 kit--$6,290 retail

Ask your dealer about 10% off for the holidays.

(FYI--I have a couple of SPS blower sub-assemblies, but they need the inlet casting attached. PM me if you want one. No trade-ins.)
SprintexUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #6731
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Guys, forgive me, didn't want to search through a bunch of pages. How much oil is supposed to be in the supercharger when changing?
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #6732
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Guys, forgive me, didn't want to search through a bunch of pages. How much oil is supposed to be in the supercharger when changing?
There's a notch on the dipstick to show you that, assuming a level surface.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
Dustin (12-10-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #6733
Arcade_West

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What would be the best way to drain the coolant from an intercooled kit, in preparation for flush and coolant change?
Arcade_West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #6734
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,831 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
The 210 takes 157mL.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
DriftEm (12-12-2015), Dustin (12-12-2015)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.