follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #757
Frogamazog

Drives: Soon to be a BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OK thanks for the quick reply. JDL has some good pics with a removed engine that show the layout exactly. I will take a look at them with this info.
Frogamazog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #758
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogamazog View Post
OK thanks for the quick reply. JDL has some good pics with a removed engine that show the layout exactly. I will take a look at them with this info.
Can you link me the exact pics? I'll make an educated guess based on them.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #759
Frogamazog

These are the best I could find. The removed engine ones only show from the bottom.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=52907&page=4
Frogamazog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #760
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
These are the best I could find. The removed engine ones only show from the bottom.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=52907&page=4
I'm 95% sure it'll clear
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #761
ScionOfHorus

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow One View Post
A few if us are including myself. I am very satisfied with his tune. I'm considering going with his flex fuel setup since e85 is more readily available here in Houston.

Anyway checking back in from my track event. I now need new brakes. The new found speed has me overheating them in less then a lap lol!
If you're in Houston would you mind meeting up someone so I can see/hear how the sc feels and sounds?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #762
Xerious
Speed Chaser Thrill Seekr

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Monogram FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
We are a one stop shop for all your needs. HAHAHA
Saving my pennies for my brake upgrade next
Xerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #763
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys I'm definitely interested in the JR SC, but have been looking everywhere for header compatibility. I will be doing a full exhaust mod and really like the JDL EL header but have seen a couple posts warning that it may not fit with Rotrex SCs like JR or KW. Anyone have or know someone who has a JDL or other EL headers that pipe up by the pulley system?
Just get the HKS EL
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #764
Frogamazog

Don't really like the sound of the HKS or any UEL I've heard
Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #765
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Don't really like the sound of the HKS or any UEL I've heard
EL = what OEM piece is
UEL = Subaru burble...sounds rough, but it's not quite necessary for the SC guys since the torque dip is already eliminated with the SC.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 AM   #766
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
You keep telling yourself that and that it isn't for emissions reasons.

This. Like I told him, it is his decision to make whether he wants to run a vented or a non a non vented/check valve to keep from pressurizing the crankcase when in boost.

Yes, it originally was designed for emissions, but just like EGR, it was found to have other benefits.

Reroute the PCV system like a normal turbo car and you won't pressurize the crankcase
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #767
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Yes, it originally was designed for emissions, but just like EGR, it was found to have other benefits.

Reroute the PCV system like a normal turbo car and you won't pressurize the crankcase
PCV valves close at wide open throttle, the "benefit" you're talking about isn't quite what you're making it sound like.

There are a whole lot of turbo cars out there that have functional PCV systems and still blow dip-sticks out under wide open throttle.

Actually preventing pressure build-up in the crankcase requires a whole lot more venting than you're going to get from either one of the catch cans you guys are talking about.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #768
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
PCV valves close at wide open throttle, the "benefit" you're talking about isn't quite what you're making it sound like.

There are a whole lot of turbo cars out there that have functional PCV systems and still blow dip-sticks out under wide open throttle.

Actually preventing pressure build-up in the crankcase requires a whole lot more venting than you're going to get from either one of the catch cans you guys are talking about.
This car doesn't come with a PCV valve though. It just comes with a hose barb threaded into the crankcase, a rubber line, and a nipple on the back of the intake manifold. You either install a check valve to prevent the crankcase from being pressurized while still allowing the crankcase to vent during vacuum situations or you install a VTA catch can and don't allow the crankcase to see any boost or vacuum. I am fine with either solution, but I prefer the VTA so that no hot oily air has the chance to go back through my intake manifold and engine.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #769
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
This car doesn't come with a PCV valve though. It just comes with a hose barb threaded into the crankcase, a rubber line, and a nipple on the back of the intake manifold. You either install a check valve to prevent the crankcase from being pressurized while still allowing the crankcase to vent during vacuum situations or you install a VTA catch can and don't allow the crankcase to see any boost or vacuum. I am fine with either solution, but I prefer the VTA so that no hot oily air has the chance to go back through my intake manifold and engine.
I agree with you on that. Didn't realize these cars (or any for that matter) don't actually have PCV valves.

For turbo applications especially I'd rather have it VTA than give it a chance to coat the inside of my intercooler with oil. (No oil separator is 100% efficient)
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #770
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Look at a Supra and say that all again No PCV valve, but the system runs to before the turbo and to the throttle body and effectively switches over whenever it's needed.

If you're blowing the dipstick out, you either have a clogged system or massive blowby (all the dumb kiddies putting filters on their valve covers because it happens on their 200K+ mile motors and saying PCV sucks)

Quote:

You're ignoring the third solution (and a fourth, but using venturis in the exhaust is dirty as hell and would destroy a cat and fail any kind of inspection).

Quote:
I agree with you on that. Didn't realize these cars (or any for that matter) don't actually have PCV valves.

For turbo applications especially I'd rather have it VTA than give it a chance to coat the inside of my intercooler with oil. (No oil separator is 100% efficient)

The small amount isn't going to cause any issues. When I pulled off my intercooler and cleaned it after 20+ years nothing drained out, I had to use solvent to get anything out and even then it was minor.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote