follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Ben_G

Drives: Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pioneer CD-MC20 mic

As far as I understand it, Subaru Canada seems to install Pioneer touchscreen decks in all navi- equipped cars.

The BRZ comes with an AVIC X9310BT unit that seems to have an AutoEQ setting, but requires a "CD-MC20" mic be plugged in to do so.

Is this something that anyone here has tried? If so, does anyone have one that I can borrow or buy for cheap in the Toronto area?
Ben_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Autoeq that pioneer uses is quite nice for what it is. You can get the mic several places online for under 20$. You basically just plug it in with the radio off, parking break on. then open the menu, hit tune and get out of the car. It will do its thing, then you can choose which eq curve you like the best.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cruzinbill For This Useful Post:
Ben_G (12-24-2012)
Old 03-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
NewmarketBRZ

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
As far as I understand it, Subaru Canada seems to install Pioneer touchscreen decks in all navi- equipped cars.

The BRZ comes with an AVIC X9310BT unit that seems to have an AutoEQ setting, but requires a "CD-MC20" mic be plugged in to do so.

Is this something that anyone here has tried? If so, does anyone have one that I can borrow or buy for cheap in the Toronto area?
Did you get your Auto EQ to work. I purchase a CD-MC20 but I can't get it to work.
NewmarketBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Ben_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarketBRZ View Post
Did you get your Auto EQ to work. I purchase a CD-MC20 but I can't get it to work.
yea, it worked just fine.

I plugged the mic into the input in the glovebox, and followed the instructions in the deck manual.

The only problem I ran into was that when I exited the car, slamming the door shut would end the test tones. I had to gently close the door onto the latch and give it a shove to close instead of shutting it as normal.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
NewmarketBRZ

Can you help me walk through this. I've plugged the mic into the glove box but nothing happens on th screen. Is there somewhere special I need to go to in the menu. What screen shouldi be on when I plug it in. Is the car running or in ACC mode?

Adam
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Ben_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarketBRZ View Post
Can you help me walk through this. I've plugged the mic into the glove box but nothing happens on th screen. Is there somewhere special I need to go to in the menu. What screen shouldi be on when I plug it in. Is the car running or in ACC mode?

Adam
To be honest, I don't remember what I did.... I just followed the instructions in the manual... If you follow them, you should be fine

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Does the headunit show the actual eq settings that autoeq has made? If so, can you post the settings?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Does the headunit show the actual eq settings that autoeq has made? If so, can you post the settings?
no it does not
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I do these frequently at work on the x940BT, so if its the same steps here they are:

-Plug the mic into the aux port
-go the the AV menu (where you can change songs, radio stations, ect) and select off to turn off the radio
-go to the settings menu and in the sound settings "auto eq" should now be illuminated

it then gives you a countdown to exit the car if you wish, I usually stay in the vehicle so it can auto eq with myself blocking sound waves since thats how music is heard in the car, with a driver.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
NewmarketBRZ

I was finally able to get my radio to detect the mic. I keep plugin it directly into the AUX port but the radio wasn't detecting it. Yesterday I used an head phone jack extension cord and plugged it into that and finally it worked.

Now my radio's equalizer is final tuned and it sounds great.

Adam
Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
epsilonkore

Drives: FireStorm 6 Spd Manual
I bought the CD-MC20 for my x950BH, and after autotuning it sounded horrible, very high, tinny, no mid or bass. I tried it several times following the instructions in the manual exactly. Maybe I missed something?
epsilonkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilonkore View Post
I bought the CD-MC20 for my x950BH, and after autotuning it sounded horrible, very high, tinny, no mid or bass. I tried it several times following the instructions in the manual exactly. Maybe I missed something?
Change the eq curve. After you autotune you now have the factory eq presets re done to take account of the tune. So you can choose between them to find what suits your taste.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
AutoEQ is not really consistent. The first head unit I put in on my 86 was a Pioneer avh-x2550bt (x2500bt in the US). Auto EQ produced great results, I loved it. I then upgraded to an avh-x5550bt (x5500bhs in the US). AutoEQ sounded really terrible - highs were overboosted.

I installed the x2550bt in my 97 Land Cruiser. AutoEQ messed up on that car as well - normal listening volume would distort the bass. I had to enable the high pass filter, set to the highest frequency, to dial out the bass.

On both cars I tried setting the AutoEQ multiple times. It was consistent in giving bad results (except for the x2550bt in the 86). And no, copying the AutoEQ curve does not produce the same sound you get when turning AutoEQ on
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote