follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
jkamelo
[jay-kuh-meh-low]

Drives: 2016 FRS RS2.0 #293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Black tar/goo-like substance on ceramic coated header?

I think I know what’s wrong, but I wanted to check with y’all.

I recently installed an FT86 Catted UEL header. It wasn’t ceramic coated from factory - a previous owner ceramic coated it after purchase. The header had only a few thousand miles on it and was never re-installed after the ceramic coating, so the coating was mint when I installed it.

After less than 250 miles, I noticed the ceramic coating cracking. Additionally, a tar-like substance is near the 02 sensor, on the cat, and on the skid pan (arrow, out of sight):

https://imgur.com/a/TMzBYLh

I think this is just the shit ceramic coating peeling and melting. But is this something else I’m not aware of?

It’s only ceramic coated on the outside, btw, so I’m not worried about tar or goop in the header itself. Still ugly to look at though.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkamelo View Post
I think I know what’s wrong, but I wanted to check with y’all.

I recently installed an FT86 Catted UEL header. It wasn’t ceramic coated from factory - a previous owner ceramic coated it after purchase. The header had only a few thousand miles on it and was never re-installed after the ceramic coating, so the coating was mint when I installed it.

After less than 250 miles, I noticed the ceramic coating cracking. Additionally, a tar-like substance is near the 02 sensor, on the cat, and on the skid pan (arrow, out of sight):

https://imgur.com/a/TMzBYLh

I think this is just the shit ceramic coating peeling and melting. But is this something else I’m not aware of?

It’s only ceramic coated on the outside, btw, so I’m not worried about tar or goop in the header itself. Still ugly to look at though.
Maybe Bubba got the can of ceramic coating mixed up with the can of roofing tar .....

Sorry - it's a slow day in Puyallup -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote