follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #197
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Worldwide case number is 166M. Wordlwide death toll is 3.4M. About 2%. Worldwide. Overall. So a 98% loss rate; my bad.

Some of those 3.44M are also not deaths STRICTLY because of Covid, but also include people who were already sick, which Covid infection exacerbated symptoms and pushed them over the edge. That isn't to say that Covid played no part; because it clearly did. That's also a relatively small number in the grand scheme of things.
It's not a small number though as covid running rampant can quickly saturate the health care system. Hospitals struggle with a bad flu season which is probably a 10th of the hospitalization rate of covid.

Also remember that death is not the only metric. How many of those with covid will have other health afflictions as a result (neurological, cardiac, etc)
Dadhawk (05-22-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #198
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Got my first Pfizer today. When this shit is over there are many who need to be called out over the disjointed messaging regarding masks, the vaccine and mechanics of transmission. If they hadn't learned anything in the labs that were studying it, they should shut said labs down. Lots of experts who weren't worth shit
Old 05-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #199
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Lol

Interesting deflection. Doesn't answer the original question, nor is it even a relevant response to the question.
Hmmm. Now Tyler, tell me - just what was your original question and what was the point of your post?

Here is the "question" you asked. I use quotation marks because it is not really a question at all.

" I assume you aren't about to isolate yourself at home indefinitely for fear of a car accident?"

You then muddy the water with a couple of meaningless "probability" estimates just as you did in an earlier post.

Think of it this way. Your probability of dying during your lifetime is 1:1. Why bother living at all?
spike021 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 11:01 PM   #200
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Surplus deaths are surplus deaths. Whether you were in your early 90's with no other life threatening health related episodes and an expectation to be around a few more years or if you're in your mid 70's or early 80's but not faced with any immediate life threatening situation and expecting to live longer, it's time robbed from people's lives. And the subsequent waves that have impacted people much more severely in their 30's and 40's as well as pregnant women and stories of people shuffled around different regional hospitals. So, if younger people stand far less risk of dieing why in this last wave with so many younger hospitalized should that be allowed to be an ongoing thing? Maybe if you are in denial that lots and lots of people are being hospitalized, incubated, on the mend for a long time after too. People need life saving and vital procedures except the medical system cannot handle them while they are at 400% normal ICU admissions and ensuring young people don't die. So, if they don't die I guess it didn't happen. Probably a bunch of type 2 diabetes super-size asthmatics anyway.

Would you want to participate in being part of a breeding ground?

I do enjoy belittling those that minimize mortality. It's the least respect I.can give.for.those who no longer have a voice.

Everyone dies eventually. The whole effect of this stretching out longer and longer or the system being overwhelmed is shortening a lot more lives that aren't necessarily as an immediate result of Covid19 infections.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 05-21-2021 at 11:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (05-21-2021), Capt Spaulding (05-22-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 11:11 PM   #201
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
It's not a small number though as covid running rampant can quickly saturate the health care system. Hospitals struggle with a bad flu season which is probably a 10th of the hospitalization rate of covid.

Also remember that death is not the only metric. How many of those with covid will have other health afflictions as a result (neurological, cardiac, etc)
You are correct. I was specifically referring to death counts as that was what was being discussed prior with regards to covid infection, flu, vaccinations, car accidents etc.

There are absolutely other factors that remain following the virus, just like there are from policies that have been implemented. I saw an article today talking about how nearly 1/3 of restaurants that closed down are expected to never reopen. Suicides have skyrocketed. As has domestic abuse. And so on. There are rammifications and consequences to choices that are made and policies implemented on a large scale level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
As u stated later, 2% of the worldwide population got wiped out in a little over a year. That is no easy feat. Also, u can't put a price on human life. Just because u and your family didn't suffer doesn't mean everyone else is in the same boat. The US was on the cusp of losing control of covid (thanks to a certain former something). And we got lucky with the rollout of vaccines and that we have enough supply to vaccinate a majority of the population. However, some Americans are just too proud (or dumb) to not take advantage of it. Ppl in other countries are desperate for the vaccines and supply is very limited. I have family in Asia and the UK, so I see and hear things from their perspective as well.
To assume that myself or my family haven't been impacted by the virus is coming from zero knowledge. 2 family members of mine/my wife have died. Multiple co workers have died. My wife is a Nurse. I'm an Occupational Therapist, working in a Respiratory unit. Every Patient I work with has a trach/is on a ventilator.. year round. We've been in contact with Covid patients since this started. Myself as recent as a couple weeks ago.

I'm just not speaking from emotion. Because emotion doesn't create good policy. Neither does anecdotal circumstances. Which is why even though I got my first vaccine dose back in the first wave in January and have had to go to multiple doctor appointments since due to issues with arrhythmia, BP, and heart palpitations, I don't go around telling others to NOT get the vaccine. Furthermore, while the symptoms started within 24hrs of getting first dose and have been lingering since, I can't 100% confirm that the vaccine caused it, as correlation does not always equal causation; though I'm not sure what else could have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Hmmm. Now Tyler, tell me - just what was your original question and what was the point of your post?

Here is the "question" you asked. I use quotation marks because it is not really a question at all.

" I assume you aren't about to isolate yourself at home indefinitely for fear of a car accident?"

You then muddy the water with a couple of meaningless "probability" estimates just as you did in an earlier post.

Think of it this way. Your probability of dying during your lifetime is 1:1. Why bother living at all?
My original question is quoted in your comment two lines below. It was still not answered by the person I was directing it to. Read it again if you must.

Not sure how probability stats are meaningless but reciting WW2 deaths or hospitalization rates is somehow relevant.

And to your last point: If your probability of dying during your lifetime is 1:1 anyways, then why does any of the virus shit matter anyways? Since we're all gonna die in the end regardless.

That's not how I think on this issue, but that's how retarded that question is.

Last edited by TylerLieberman; 05-21-2021 at 11:40 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (05-21-2021), ermax (05-22-2021), Wally86 (05-24-2021)
Closed Thread