follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
golemslord

Drives: 2014 White FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gas pedal vibration ?

Hi,

I recently notice a vibration/pulsation in the gas pedal starting from a very low speed (to highway speed). It is more noticeable when just resting the foot on the pedal. When I shift it to neutral, the problem is still there. The car drives very smoothly and I do not notice any vibrations elsewhere aside from the pedal

The wheels and tires were mounted for a month or so without problems until recent weeks. I have tried installing hub centric rings but no luck in fixing the issue.

However, the vibration sometimes disappears for a very little bit when driving on very smooth pavements.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I was thinking of getting the tires balanced next in hopes of solving this mystery.

Tires are Falken Azenis FK510 with 80% tread. Both the wheels and tires are around 1 year old

EDIT: tires are balanced, car had alignment, tires rotated, wheel bearings checked with no play, brake rotors and pads changed.... And, the pulsing is still there. Ran out of solutions, probably it is what it is lol. Most likely the harsh summer tires.

Thank you

Last edited by golemslord; 07-19-2020 at 04:43 PM.
golemslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is an interesting one. Following.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by golemslord View Post
Hi,

I recently notice a vibration/pulsation in the gas pedal starting from a very low speed (to highway speed). It is more noticeable when just resting the foot on the pedal. When I shift it to neutral, the problem is still there. The car drives very smoothly and I do not notice any vibrations elsewhere aside from the pedal

The wheels and tires were mounted for a month or so without problems until recent weeks. I have tried installing hub centric rings but no luck in fixing the issue.

However, the vibration sometimes disappears for a very little bit when driving on very smooth pavements.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I was thinking of getting the tires balanced next in hopes of solving this mystery.

Tires are Falken Azenis FK510 with 80% tread. Both the wheels and tires are around 1 year old

Thank you
You have taken some good steps and understand your frustration. There might still be a few things worth checking, starting from cheaper to more expensive checks since you mention vibration while rolling (I assume) in neutral.

IMO, balancing is very important. I've had cars with heavy vibration, which I thought was mechanical, but due incorrect balancing (balance only on one side of the wheel). The issue can also be aggravated by tires that get damaged by potholes or tires left flat or with low tire pressure for extended periods of time during storage (might not be your case), deforming tire. You might be able to pick up wheel and or tire deformation looking at wheel/tires from different angles while they are being sped up on the balance checking machine. These issues might not be fixed by balancing alone.

You might also look into wheel bearings. They wear out slowly, which might make diagnosis difficult due to the gradual change. Bad conditions and potholes can accelerate wear and damage them in a hurry. I happily replaced my front wheel bearings around 80k, but left the rears on for nearly 120k, which was a mistake. It all starts with noise, but can easily transform into noise + vibration given the wear level. This can easily confused with tire / wheel related problems and should not be overlooked.
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sato For This Useful Post:
golemslord (06-17-2020), humfrz (06-17-2020), soundman98 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Well the gas pedal is purely an electronic device so it’s the floor that’s shaking and not so much your gas pedal.

I second getting a rebalance on the tires.

It could be wheel bearings, but you’d definitely be able to hear them as well.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
golemslord (06-17-2020), soundman98 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Does this get worse with sudden acceleration? Have you checked where the gas pedal connects to the firewall?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, I also suggest you have the tires balanced.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
golemslord (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
golemslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Does this get worse with sudden acceleration? Have you checked where the gas pedal connects to the firewall?

Nope it does not get worse with acceleration. In fact it feels better since maybe I'm pushing onto the pedal instead of resting on it, feeling less vibration
Old 06-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tire condition. Check your tire pressure, get it perfectly balanced.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #9
sato

Garage
Quote:
Nope it does not get worse with acceleration. In fact it feels better since maybe I'm pushing onto the pedal instead of resting on it, feeling less vibration
How about at different speeds? It's the frequency of vibration higher at 70mph vs 35mph?
Old 06-18-2020, 04:30 AM   #10
golemslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
How about at different speeds? It's the frequency of vibration higher at 70mph vs 35mph?
I'd say its a bit higher frequency at higher speeds
Old 06-18-2020, 04:38 AM   #11
golemslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Well the gas pedal is purely an electronic device so it’s the floor that’s shaking and not so much your gas pedal.

I second getting a rebalance on the tires.

It could be wheel bearings, but you’d definitely be able to hear them as well.
Now that you mention this, there's vibration in the brake pedal and clutch too if i rest my foot on there during cruise. So most likely it's the floor vibrating...but there's not much when I actually rest my foot on the floor ��
Old 06-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #12
golemslord

Just to add, there's also a slight noticable humming sound from the tires. I will have the tires balanced tomorrow and see if it fixes the issue
The Following User Says Thank You to golemslord For This Useful Post:
sato (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
sato

Garage
Quote:
Just to add, there's also a slight noticable humming sound from the tires. I will have the tires balanced tomorrow and see if it fixes the issue
Humming tends to point towards wheel bearings, IMO. Still, wait until wheel / tire combo is balanced. IF they allow you to, remember to observe wheels and tires while they are being checked on the machine.

Can you precise if that humming present with the previous tire, wheel combo? It's difficult since bearing noises come in gradually, unless a pothole eats one up.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
golemslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Humming tends to point towards wheel bearings, IMO. Still, wait until wheel / tire combo is balanced. IF they allow you to, remember to observe wheels and tires while they are being checked on the machine.

Can you precise if that humming present with the previous tire, wheel combo? It's difficult since bearing noises come in gradually, unless a pothole eats one up.
Just had tire balance done and it has definitely made the vibrations less noticable but is still there. I guess I can stick with this and be less ocd about it lol. Maybe it's just our cars being more "road feeling" and I'm just worrying too much? Or maybe it's the summer tires

The humming I believe might be normal tire sounds and just overthinking. Is present before and after tire balance

I notice they did add more wheel weights to the front two wheels after the balance**