follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin and Whiteline bushing combo impressions

This weekend my son and I installed this bushings kit from FT86 Speedfactory http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/perr...combo-435.html and it took about 2 hours on our backs with the car on Jack stands. 1 person could do it but 2 makes it a lot easier.

I didn't remove the FP, but I disconnected the rear part of it from the MP. I also didn't remove the underpanel I just removed 3 bolts and bent it aside. You need a set of sockets and some extensions but not much else. I'm no mechanic but I'm good with this sort of thing; my son doesn't know a socket from crescent wrench. So anyone can do this mod really.

I expected a lot of gear whine but there's very little extra. There's a little more general noise and vibration in the car but not a ton. This is the most subtle mod I've done to my car. One caveat is that my exhaust is pretty loud and I already had a lot of vibration so YMMV.

Shifting is better and a lot tighter but but not like a short shifter kit tight. There used to be a lot of slop shifting into 5th but this mod took care of that. Also acceleration feels different which I didn't expect and I can't explain. It's subtle.

So far after 200 miles I love it but it's not a huge change. I'd do it again considering it's a cheap mod and FT86 speedfactory has excellent service.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I did the Whiteline bushing insert and Kartboy rear shifter bushing together, along with the Whiteline rear subframe insert kit. Overall the package made the rear end and driveline feel much more connected to my inputs, and got rid of the clunk in the trunk.

That combo is my preference, and the additional gear whine is A) nice, and B) is about an equal NVH as the trunk clunking you lose.

Glad you liked the combo, consider the rear subframe inserts next!

Edit: This feller right here! - http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/whit...l#.WfifcPlSyUk
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
guybo (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
+1 on rear subframe bushings

Rear differential inserts were the only mod I've made to the car that made the gf go 'wtf it sounds broken'

Stiff coilovers, tire noise, driving around with all the stuff in the trunk removed, nothing phased her, but those diff bushings did.

Getting some wheel hop on launches, I'm tempted to put one of these in in the hopes of reducing that...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
+1 on rear subframe bushings

Rear differential inserts were the only mod I've made to the car that made the gf go 'wtf it sounds broken'

Stiff coilovers, tire noise, driving around with all the stuff in the trunk removed, nothing phased her, but those diff bushings did.

Getting some wheel hop on launches, I'm tempted to put one of these in in the hopes of reducing that...
I found I had pretty bad wheel hop issues until I did the rear subframe bushings. After the bushing combo I did, (which I attribute the improvement to the rear subframe bushings.) I'm not sure if they dampen some of the hopping themselves, or just make the components work a bit harder and do their job better. At the time my suspension and driveline was basically just swift springs on stock struts.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I did subframe bushings on my Gencoupe and it was one of the mods that made the most difference. The first time I drove after installing them I couldn't believe the difference it made. Not subtle at all.

I've always thought the FRS felt tight and lacked that slop so I never considered subframe bushings. That said, this thread is changing my mind
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
You should check out the front shifter bushings, improves on the feel you’re taking about.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote