follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
JMPeach

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ceramic Coating in the Mid Atlantic area

Hey Guys I'm relatively new to the forums and have been doing a lot of searching about which performance parts I want to get for my car. I decided recently that I was going to go wit the OFT + OFH combo as I found that to be a really good deal for the amount of horsepower gained in comparison to the price. As most of you probably know the Openflash header is not ceramic coated, and since its winter, all of this salt being thrown down on the Maryland roads has me worried if I should get the header ceramic coated myself before having it installed. I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys might be able to help with or give your advise on.

1. Do you think its worth it to get the header ceramic coated?

2. Is there anyone who has the Openflash header installed in the area, that can tell me if they have had any issues with it rusting or oxidizing due to the salt being thrown down during the winter?

3. Can anyone recommend a good place to take the header in the DC MD VA PA area to have it ceramic coated?

4. Finally, this is something I have been trying to search for / read more about but haven't really come up with anything definitive, but when getting a header ceramic coated, should it be coated on both the inside and the outside or is it okay to just do the outside of the header?

Any information or advise would be really helpful, thanks so much for your time/ advise and hopefully i'll get to meet a few of you at some of the car meets you guys have.
JMPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I forget the costs of the OFH, but ceramic coating a one-off item is likely to significantly close the price difference between just purchasing a pre-coated header from another tuner.

Also, is OFH catted? don't you have emmissions on MD? all considerations to think about since you don't want to be swapping every year or get cited by police.

1. Yes, I would get a coated header. More stealth install, lower maintenance, and arguable lower engine bay heat
2. Header is relatively well protected due to skid plate, but I guess some stuff could make it past the radiator? I've had no problems yet.
4. I would do inside and out. IMO, why half-ass it? Although, I'm not sure if there are benefits to be had doing inside and out vs just outside.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
FWIW, I have the P&L catted EL header that's coated inside and out and I love it. Very nice schedule 10 piping used (I thinkg OFH is thinner tubing) since it's designed for their turbo system, which you can switch to later if you so desire.

Also, be aware that noise can be a major factor too when going catless. Tomei Ti FP is cheap enough that I think it's worth getting for anyone, but w/ no cats at all... it'll be LOUD.