follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where is the ambient temperature sensor located?

The ambient temp sensor seems to be very inconsistent, if not inaccurate all together. Where is the sensor located? Maybe it needs some heat shielding or relocated where it can pick up accurate temps.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Passenger side, in front of the AC condenser. It has its own bracket, and the harness is tied to the front horn.

It'll read accurate in free-flowing air; it'll read high when you have a hot parked car.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-13-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-13-2015), solidONE (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 02:50 AM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
The ambient temp sensor seems to be very inconsistent, if not inaccurate all together. Where is the sensor located? Maybe it needs some heat shielding or relocated where it can pick up accurate temps.
A lot of vehicles, not just the FR-S, have this problem. First off air needs to be flowing for a few minutes through for it to get an accurate temperature reading (it's connected to a clip on the condenser) and looks like this and has a part number of SU003A0022:

Also it's inconsistent but a lot of variables play into it like:
What temperatures are you comparing it too? A weather app on your phone or an actual thermometer off the ground? In either case those temps aren't measured in the exact location and also aren't the same height over asphalt in an area with little airflow like inside a car. Also color of the car has a lot to do with the temperature readings as well if the car has been sitting.

If you're really annoyed by the temps in toyota techstream there's an ambient temp sensor offset you can set as well. Honestly I don't find it a big deal though it needs to be driven around a bit to get a correct temp
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
solidONE (10-13-2015), soundman98 (08-12-2023)
Old 10-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
solidONE

I went ahead and measured the temperature of the components around and touching the temp sensor after having warmed up the car and driven for about 10 minutes. Ambient temperatures were at around 90-92. The mounting bracket was 110 degrees and the AC condenser was about 105 degrees few seconds after having stopped the car. Not a huge difference, but I'd think if it were mounted on the plastic shroud just a few inches ahead of where it's siting now it would read more accurately. Or at the very at least not take so long to get the air temps coming through the grill opening.

I've been keeping a close eye on the ambient and intake temps after having changed up some hardware on the car, in case you guys are wondering why im being so anal about the accuracy. I suppose ideally the ambient temp sensor would be mounted right next to the intake snorkel opening.

Last edited by solidONE; 10-13-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
solidONE

The ambient temp sensor is definitely affected by heat-soak. It will read a few degrees hotter after you've brought engine temps up and past normal operating temps regardless how fast you are moving.

I'm thinking about relocating it to where the horn is mounted ahead of where it's at now using a aluminum bracket instead of the steel one it currently is attached to.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have the calibration data for this sensor? It is originally wired to the dash but I’ve got an aftermarket dash and have wired this to the Motec ECU and would like to still read outside temp data.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
Does anyone have the calibration data for this sensor? It is originally wired to the dash but I’ve got an aftermarket dash and have wired this to the Motec ECU and would like to still read outside temp data.
In romraider

The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Hags86 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks. I assume these voltages are with 5V source and a 1k Ohm pullup resistor?
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 AM   #9
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
Thanks. I assume these voltages are with 5V source and a 1k Ohm pullup resistor?
sounds about right, but

Old 08-10-2023, 12:53 AM   #10
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
The ambient temp sensor is definitely affected by heat-soak. It will read a few degrees hotter after you've brought engine temps up and past normal operating temps regardless how fast you are moving.

I'm thinking about relocating it to where the horn is mounted ahead of where it's at now using a aluminum bracket instead of the steel one it currently is attached to.
Not sure if you guys are active but has this ever caused no start by any chance ? I park my car outside for 8 hours in an uncovered parking lot under the 110 F Texas Sun and sometimes when I try to start, all the electricals turn on but no crank. I can only reproduce this error state in extreme heat. Nobody has been able to diagnose this so far. I had all the electrical system checked out and didn't find any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dynarun55 For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 02:21 PM   #11
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Not sure if you guys are active but has this ever caused no start by any chance ? I park my car outside for 8 hours in an uncovered parking lot under the 110 F Texas Sun and sometimes when I try to start, all the electricals turn on but no crank. I can only reproduce this error state in extreme heat. Nobody has been able to diagnose this so far. I had all the electrical system checked out and didn't find any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
My relocation of temp sensor
Attached Images