follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #3445
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZN6 View Post
I checked my runner this morning and sure enough, it's just a round whereas yours seems to have a relief notch in it. That may be why yours clears the terminal and mine didn't.

Regarding the updated bypass I would certainly take a look at yours and see what may be on it given the late purchase. If it's the old one and running fine, I agree, I would not bother replacing it until after it showed signs of going bad.

Yeah, I hear you on the disappointment. My SC had to go on and off several times to deal with these issues and I too am only one person doing the install in my free time. That said, I am also very happy with the eforce. As far as aftermarket goes, this is a pretty well developed kit (save for some of these issues with the model year changes, the AC port blockage and the rough CARB tune). Truthfully, without the existence of this kit, I would have never bought an 86. For me, this car was just unacceptable in terms of acceleration that I abandoned the idea of buying one after the first test drive. However since the rest of the car was exactly what I was looking for, when I stumbled on this particular SC, and carrying CARB legal status, the car became possible for me. I have used lots of Edelbrock heads, intakes and such on my other builds so I knew this kit would be quality so I took a huge gamble and bought the car and the kit. With the the Delicious Tune on the car, it really feels like an OEM installed bigger engine. You never wait for power. It's just power everywhere. I use this car as a daily and routine trips to Mammoth mountain. The AT can now climb the mountain in only 6th gear. Before the SC I had to go down to 4th! That and a setrab trans cooler and the car deals with the extended hill climbs fabulously.
Yeah it is comical how quickly the car goes from 75-95 mph in 6th gear on a manual compared to stock. Took me a while to stop accidentally getting into impound lot territory.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-19-2020), Z06ZN6 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #3446
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Yeah it is comical how quickly the car goes from 75-95 mph in 6th gear on a manual compared to stock. Took me a while to stop accidentally getting into impound lot territory.
Should be even better now that I just finished installing a 2018 MT 4.3 diff info my 17 AT (4.1). I love this car because stuff like this is available for a few hundred off Ebay and just bolts right in.

Name:  20200419_132026.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  234.7 KB
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Z06ZN6 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #3447
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA9092 View Post
I'm very happy with it! However, I wished Edelbrock was more transparent about the changes between models as well as the revised bypass valve.

It's sad that you have to dig around forums to find the info then email them privately - no info on their website either!

If I knew of the future development of the bypass valve issue, I may have held off my purchase. It took me nearly a month between work, business trips and house projects to install mine myself in my garage. Since the new bypass valve requires a complete reinstall, I may just bite the bullet and hope for the best on my current unit and hope it never fails.
Always helps when you purchase from someone who's up to date with the changes
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #3448
BA9092
Captain Slow

Drives: '18 BRZ Limited PP 6MT ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Always helps when you purchase from someone who's up to date with the changes
True. I've exchanged some emails with you and you were always very quick, thorough and informative in your replies. Thank you, Mike!

However, I have been trolling this thread for nearly a year before purchasing the SC kit and even emailed Edelbrock customer service and no one had any definitive answers regarding the bypass valve issue. There were rumors of a redesign, but never any confirmation.

I decided to pull the trigger on it when the $500 rebate was in effect and got a great discount on the "updated for 2017+ models" unit from a local vendor on top of that.

I knew I wasn't going to just "stick" with the Edelbrock tune, but I already had vested on a UEL/93-oct tune and a Flex tune with DT when Zach was still with them.

I had to do a lot quick homework when I joined the forums as my BRZ was a new purchase in the spring of 2018 and I was a still "wet behind the years" in my experience with this platform altogether.

BA9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #3449
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslack View Post
Ok I took some pictures and from what you have described, it looks to be the new bypass valve, only 2 screws holding it.
Enjoy the new power! That is indeed the new one.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #3450
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have a few dumb questions:

1) How many of you are running a Perrin Oil Cooler? Searched a few mentions that it will install fine, and a few mentions that you should modify it's positioning.

3) How do you change the air filter? Looks like a tight fit after the install is complete. Like I said, probably a dumb question haha
Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #3451
Pgh_Area

Drives: '14 Ultramarine Fr-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Side View Post
I have a few dumb questions:

1) How many of you are running a Perrin Oil Cooler? Searched a few mentions that it will install fine, and a few mentions that you should modify it's positioning.

3) How do you change the air filter? Looks like a tight fit after the install is complete. Like I said, probably a dumb question haha
Can't answer on the oil cooler. The air filter though: loosen the 2 bands at the back, on the tubing & loosen the bolts holding the cover in place. Voila. It's open.
Attached Images

Pgh_Area is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pgh_Area For This Useful Post:
Side (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #3452
Kristovar

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Does anyone know the part number for the heat exchanger for Eforce? I had a rock fly up and puncture mine today leaking coolant everywhere and need to get a new one. The instruction manual doesn't say the exact part number but it looks like it's the 15568. Any help would really be appreciated as the car is out of commission for now!
Kristovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #3453
Pgh_Area

Drives: '14 Ultramarine Fr-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristovar View Post
Does anyone know the part number for the heat exchanger for Eforce? I had a rock fly up and puncture mine today leaking coolant everywhere and need to get a new one. The instruction manual doesn't say the exact part number but it looks like it's the 15568. Any help would really be appreciated as the car is out of commission for now!
It's on your inventory sheet. Below the SC. 51-4229
Attached Images

Pgh_Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:31 AM   #3454
Kristovar

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh_Area View Post
It's on your inventory sheet. Below the SC. 51-4229
Doh! Thank you!
Kristovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #3455
snowtaipan

Drives: '17 BRZ Series Yellow Edelbrock SC
P0171 P117B Stability control CEL

Lets knock out some basic info; 2017 BRZ Yellow series, no issues before SC install. I'm an Army Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic with a decade of experience. I had two buddies help with same or better experience. I have read 50 plus TS guides on those codes and at least 10 threads on FT86, haven't seen any solutions. Fuel is 91, no pre-existing faults.

After initial drive cycle, threw P0171 and P117B and StabCtrl, hunting for idle etc. Found out the StabCtrl light is only there to scare you into going to a shop. Checked and found PS PCV hose was loose. Reclamped it, cleaned MAF with CRC MAF cleaner, reflashed the tune. No fuel leaks, hesitation, nothing weird.

Completed multiple drive cycles, everything looked clear, filled the tank like a dumbass, came home to take the wife to get chow and BAM same CELs. Started really hunting and saw bypass valve as a common issue. Smoked bypass valve and PCV, no leaks. Double checked all wiring, hoses, nothing out of place. Saw that over-oiled air filters could do it, cleaned it off and used 25% as much oil as I think it should have. Used starter fluid to see if unmetered air was getting in, no RPM change.

Used the ECUTEK to clear the faults, did another big drive cycle. Using TORQUE I noticed the LTFT is at 38, that seems way high. AF commanded is like 14.6 and measured goes between 14.5-14.7 which should be fine. Since I'm at 90% on the tank the EVAP and Fuel checks are incomplete still. (Edit Aaaand lights are on again!)

Am I missing something?

Consolidated list below:
-Intake air leaks: Negative, used starter fluid
-Faulty front heated oxygen sensor: Unchecked, unlikely as it was OK before install
-Ignition misfiring: Negative, no misfires present
-Faulty fuel injectors: Unchecked, unlikely. No leaks, seals looked OK, not running rough.
-Exhaust gas leaks: Unchecked, unlikely as it was not present before install.
-Incorrect fuel pressure: Unchecked, unlikely
-Lack of fuel: Negative
-Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor: Negative, cleaned and re-seated, (edit reads 12.8 PSI at idle, accurate)
-Over-oiled intake filter getting MAF dirty: Cleaned both
-Incorrect (PCV) hose connection: Corrected, smoke tested for leaks, looks OK
-Bad PCV valve: Unchecked
-Bypass valve leak: Negative, smoked no leaks, moved under suction and held position.

Current facts:
P0171 P117B
AFR(C) 14.67 AFR(M) 14.85
LTFT 1 31.25
STFT1 .78%
INTAKE 4.4PSI
MAF 12 CFM
O2S1 V 2.21
O2 1X2 .7V
MAF reads 12.8 PSI (accurate for 5k elevation.)
Could someone post up numbers for a stock car with Edelbrock SC and stock tune their STFT, LTFT, AFR(commanded), AFR (measured)?

Thanks in advance everyone.
-Robert Porter

Last edited by snowtaipan; 04-23-2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Update info
snowtaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #3456
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Are you using a Delicious DBox?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #3457
snowtaipan

Drives: '17 BRZ Series Yellow Edelbrock SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Are you using a Delicious DBox?
No, bone stock + Eddelbrock 1556. Nothing else
snowtaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #3458
localhost

Drives: Edelbrock SC 2015 FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtaipan View Post
No, bone stock + Eddelbrock 1556. Nothing else
Even though you leak checked the BPV, I'd be willing to bet that's the issue.

When I had the same lean codes as you, I did the exact troubleshooting steps with both a low pressure smoke test and high pressure leak test, and neither of them found anything significant. I basically tried everything to fix it until finally I got a replacement bypass valve as that was the only thing left that I hadn't tried.

That fixed the issue up right away even though the previous smoke tests didn't seem to indicate that was the issue. That and a proper tune from a good shop. The supplied Edelbrock CARB tune is honestly not great at all.
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote