follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2023, 05:01 PM   #15
Rainy

Drives: 2015 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
no gonna lie, the interior blue stitching looks like one in 10th anniversary BRZ that was released last year in Japan
Attached Images

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 05:30 PM   #16
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Like pretty much everything in life, it comes down to price. Funny how most things usually come down to money...

For me (and my own personal money), EyeSight would be a 'nice' to have, but not a 'need' to have. I'd pay a bit more for it (maybe $500-$1,000?).

The Brembo brakes, another 'nice' to have. Certainly not needed for street driving (which is my use), but emotionally nice to have. Again for me, worth a modest cost - maybe another $500-$1,000?

The Hitachi dampers, not sure. Don't know if they would make a meaningful difference in the all-important seat-of-my-pants feel test in street driving. I know many people here are into extracting the last tenths of a second of performance out of the car for track use, for me it's all about having fun on twisty back roads and street driving. I'd rather have a slightly more compliant ride than a harder one (New England roads are often terrible).

The switch to iron vs. steel control arms seems like a step backwards? Maybe because they would be stronger for track use, less likely to deform?

For me, the changes would be worth paying maybe $1,500-$2,000 for. Any more than that, and I'd rather have the car without them. Any guesses how much more Subaru will charge for it?

Your mileage may vary.
Shhh… you’re hurting people’s feelings with your rational thoughts and isn’t good for business.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vindiesel For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (07-24-2023), DriveDriftDogfight86 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 06:08 PM   #17
dyim

Drives: ?
IMO, should have included the short shifter.
dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:42 PM   #18
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindiesel View Post
Shhh… you’re hurting people’s feelings with your rational thoughts and isn’t good for business.
Sorry, it's that damned rational thinking getting in the way again!
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (07-25-2023), vindiesel (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 09:32 PM   #19
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruslow View Post
Yeah what a joke, they stupidly don't design it to fit the brake to begin with, so it takes time for the same recycled brembos from the previous gen to come at a huge price premium and you get the steel, advertised as a new model instead of what should have been ready from the start. No thanks subaru, that combined with your oil issues and most importantly eyesight. What a turd. I can't participate in such poorly thought out decisions.

After putting 2k on a new outback turbo with eyesight and all the horrible features (please don't say it can be turned off) You should feel the vagueness in the steering and brakes in the new cars thanks to their stupid eyesight related features. It's awful. This is even when turned off. Not to mentioning turning them off in the menu continually. The automotive industry has gone off the deep end making cars expensive with technology that actually makes them less safe, like when it screws up and think there is a lane departure during a lane change, or when it tries to center you in the road but lines are imperfect so it does a worse job. Trying mind boggling and whoever is behind this stuff is a complete moron who probably didn't drive until they were 30. Eyesight features = slop steering on center, and poor brake modulation.

Thanks, but no thanks. An older brz with no eyesight is 1000X more desirable. If you want to try and spot lane changes, adjust steering dynamics to keep me in the center of the road e.g. drive for me you better be mario andretti, instead the subaru is closer to helen keller.

As far as I'm concerned new cars are dead.

Lol

Curious....how old are you?
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:35 PM   #20
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
YAWN, boring as was that show.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:18 AM   #21
subaruslow

Drives: subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
I wished they would have just called is the 2024 BRZ Series.Blue; then brought back the yellow
The blue series has a way nicer and better interior, the best of any brz. So since they did a worse job that wouldn't work, not to mention the "body kit"

Hitachi dampeners, will see. From what I can tell subaru purposefully uses the least durable shocks and struts. It's a joke. Car might feel good new but how about at 20k.

Why wasn't this released in 21? Subaru ya slipping big and with no more sti. It's a sad state man.

Sadly the government has shit the bed and we have eyesight and other mediocre at best technology. The reality is it leads to more distracted and worse driving but hey zero deaths people, all by reinforcing you don't need to learn properly / take driving seriously. What could go wrong. Well after eyesight in the outback for 2k, no thanks, nooo thanks. Slop isn't my thing.
subaruslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:30 AM   #22
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Quote:
Originally Posted by s30series View Post
Lol

Curious....how old are you?

Can you make his comment a separate thread so we can take a poll vote on his age?
Old 07-25-2023, 01:18 PM   #23
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up

Did they switch back to the steel knuckles in order to fit the Brembo brakes? I'm aware that the Brembo brakes can be retrofitted to existing GR86s, and I see no mention of that being the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
The point being made is that windshield replacement will now involve the added step of a recalibration of the eyesight system, which adds considerable cost. And I can definitely attest to the frequency of rock chips on the track...
Valid point for recalibration, though i'm inclined to think there's really nothing to it. As to rock chips from race tracks...I've been tracking cars for 10 years and have never received a windshield rock chip that way. I also have over 100 hours of racing cars on track, again no rock chips. In my experience chucks of tire tread are more likely to inflict damage.

Maybe it's a track dependent situation?

All that aside, I think it's crap that Subaru is only selling the performance parts lumped together with the safety systems. That's a big turn off.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:34 PM   #24
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Did they switch back to the steel knuckles in order to fit the Brembo brakes?

-snip-

All that aside, I think it's crap that Subaru is only selling the performance parts lumped together with the safety systems. That's a big turn off.
Yes they went back to steel.

All BRZs moving forward, likely GR86 as well will have eyesight. The press release says that all manual transmissions will have it standard.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 02:49 PM   #25
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
"Suspension tuned by Sti"... Just what the hell does that actually mean? No explanation from Subaru beyond getting different dampers. Any changes in spring rates? ARBs? It would be great if the so-called auto journalists regurgitating Subie's press release got off their fat, complacent butts and actually asked Subaru a few questions....
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #26
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
"Suspension tuned by Sti"... Just what the hell does that actually mean? No explanation from Subaru beyond getting different dampers. Any changes in spring rates? ARBs?
I wondered about that too. Maybe they are trying to recall the glory days of the '80s and '90s when AMG and ///M actually meant something special.

Quote:
It would be great if the so-called auto journalists regurgitating Subie's press release got off their fat, complacent butts and actually asked Subaru a few questions....
That would mean actually knowing something about cars so you know the right questions to ask. It would also mean focusing on the quality of content rather than simply being first to get published, which leads to simple regurgitation of the press release.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 06:53 PM   #27
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
C'mon, as with last-gen, any "tS" version is going to have the big Brembos, "special" dampers, and a few other gew-gaws that will mean next to nothing to those of us who track these cars, plus some visual bling. No surprises. Spend more for the tS, or wait for the "Performance Package" that is sure to follow if you just want the big Brembos and dampers, hopefully for not too much more than the frankly remarkable $1200 it cost on the gen-1.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:01 PM   #28
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
C'mon, as with last-gen, any "tS" version is going to have the big Brembos, "special" dampers, and a few other gew-gaws that will mean next to nothing to those of us who track these cars, plus some visual bling. No surprises. Spend more for the tS, or wait for the "Performance Package" that is sure to follow if you just want the big Brembos and dampers, hopefully for not too much more than the frankly remarkable $1200 it cost on the gen-1.
For the moment, it looks like the upcoming tS is the performance pack.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (07-26-2023), norcalpb (07-27-2023), Racecomp Engineering (07-25-2023)