follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #743
MFPC

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
A stroke of luck that my set hasn't shipped out. Are we hearing reports of a faulty batch??
MFPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #744
dtrop

Drives: Wrb 2014 limited brZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
So, I'm assuming it's not by design that the DRLs and boomerangs do not light up during the day when the stalk is set to auto since some of you said Diode Dynamics is sending out replacements?
Can anyone shine in on this?

I leave my headlights on auto. This product would be worthless to me (already ordered) if I have to switch my light settings every time.
dtrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #745
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Just reached out to Diode Dyanmics via email. I installed mine yesterday and tested it out this morning. The boomerang as a DRL portion of it works great, however when the headlights are supposed to come on (either auto or manual), the boomerangs stay on, and one turn signal stays light.... and that's it. We'll see what they say.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #746
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Aftermarket lights are never going to be as good as OEM (manufacturers)when it comes to HID...
That's not necessarily true at all. A $40 a pair made in china HID bulb won't be as good as your OEM bulbs that's for sure. But a quality Phillips or OSRAM bulb will most certainly be as good, if not better than an OEM bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinBRZ View Post
Funny thing, I followed a BRZ home today and I realized comparing our HIDs with other car HIDS (like BMW 3 series with bi-xenon option), ours is slightly yellowish. I think 5000K would do..

Please post pics if possible! The reason why I didn't want to go for 6000K was because the light output is not as bright or efficient.. something about 4300K being optimal since it's closer to sunlight.
Yep. BMW's, Landrovers, Audi all use LED or 5000k bulbs to give that pure white look at the cost of about 300 lumens.

I personally wouldn't go for a 6000k Bulb since you're looking at about a 700 lumen drop from the stock 4300k.

We may need to move this HID discussion to another thread though.

ALSO: Make sure you don't have your ebrake pulled when checking these things. I'm really starting to wonder if there are this many issues with the harness or if it's people not understanding how the DRL's function (when they come on).
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porcupint For This Useful Post:
adamg (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #747
dtrop

Drives: Wrb 2014 limited brZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
Just reached out to Diode Dyanmics via email. I installed mine yesterday and tested it out this morning. The boomerang as a DRL portion of it works great, however when the headlights are supposed to come on (either auto or manual), the boomerangs stay on, and one turn signal stays light.... and that's it. We'll see what they say.
I think the boomerangs are supposed to stay on, according to the video, you can turn that off I think.

Take a picture of your turn light issue, that's strange.
dtrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #748
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupint View Post
That's not necessarily true at all. A $40 a pair made in china HID bulb won't be as good as your OEM bulbs that's for sure. But a quality Phillips or OSRAM bulb will most certainly be as good, if not better than an OEM bulb.

Yep. BMW's, Landrovers, Audi all use LED or 5000k bulbs to give that pure white look at the cost of about 300 lumens.

I personally wouldn't go for a 6000k Bulb since you're looking at about a 700 lumen drop from the stock 4300k.

ALSO: Make sure you don't have your ebrake pulled when checking these things. I'm really starting to wonder if there are this many issues with the harness or if it's people not understanding how the DRL's function (when they come on).
Yeah.... But Phillips and Osram supply bulbs to OEMs, right?
Kind of a moot point.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #749
oaroyale

Drives: Black BRZ
Quote:

Also, make sure you start your engine, the DRL won't come on unless the engine is on and the hand brake is off.
oaroyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #750
was385

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrop View Post
I think the boomerangs are supposed to stay on, according to the video, you can turn that off I think.

Take a picture of your turn light issue, that's strange.
Just trying to explain what happened, not saying that the boomerangs shouldn't be on. Pic below, sorry for awful iphone quality.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #751
Blue-Sensei

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ LTD Turbo
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinBRZ View Post
Not a problem! These pics helped tremendously, thanks! I can sorta see the difference after studying the OEM headlights. It seems that the yellowish hue is completely gone. In your opinion, was it a worthy mod?
It's definitely better than stock I really wish I could get away from the purple tinge though. It looks a bit terrible in person. But since I took the shot with my phone I can't set exposure settings(So you can't really tell). There is absolutely no yellow at all(the reason I wanted to get 5000k to begin with), matches well with the boomerangs.
Blue-Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue-Sensei For This Useful Post:
KelvinBRZ (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #752
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
So, I'm assuming it's not by design that the DRLs and boomerangs do not light up during the day when the stalk is set to auto since some of you said Diode Dynamics is sending out replacements?
Auto does not make any difference in the way the lights work- it jsut automatically picks "on" or "off" for you. If it's not working properly with lights in either on or off position, we will provide replacement. Again, "auto" setting makes no difference in the way the lights are actually powered, so the module will work just fine in Auto mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
We have identified a problem in one part of the harness that was contracted out, specifically, one wire is switched in pin position. It was not something that we checked for in our testing process which is done on each unit. Please contact us directly if you encounter any problems with your kit. We believe it's less than 3% of the modules shipped so far, and we've now eliminated the possible point of failure. We'll of course immediately replace any defective units. Thank you.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
amaciose (02-26-2015), Blue-Sensei (02-26-2015), Husker BRZ (02-26-2015), Jmonty (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #753
was385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Auto does not make any difference in the way the lights work- it jsut automatically picks "on" or "off" for you. If it's not working properly with lights in either on or off position, we will provide replacement. Again, "auto" setting makes no difference in the way the lights are actually powered, so the module will work just fine in Auto mode.

We have identified a problem in one part of the harness that was contracted out, specifically, one wire is switched in pin position. It was not something that we checked for in our testing process which is done on each unit. Please contact us directly if you encounter any problems with your kit. We believe it's less than 3% of the modules shipped so far, and we've now eliminated the possible point of failure. We'll of course immediately replace any defective units. Thank you.
Already sent you guys an email about it earlier this morning.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #754
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Quote:
Yeah.... But Phillips and Osram supply bulbs to OEMs, right?
Kind of a moot point.
Phillips does for sure. I'm not sure about Osram. But I can see people considering them "aftermarket" if they only buy bulbs from the dealership. Only reason I' mentioned it.

Regardless, you end up getting what you pay for.
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #755
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post

Is there any way for me to check if my harness has this issue before I bother trying to install it? (I was going to install on sunday).
Can I just look at which color wires are going into which pins?

Quote:
Phillips does for sure. I'm not sure about Osram. But I can see people considering them "aftermarket" if they only buy bulbs from the dealership. Only reason I' mentioned it.

Regardless, you end up getting what you pay for.
+1. This is what I kinda meant. With HID bulbs, its easy to get a good bulb as long as you dont intentionally go the cheap route. With headlights and projectors its a lot harder.. None of the aftermarket ones are really truly as good as the OEM ones. Which is why so many people do retrofit kits and etc. I'd probably never replace the OEM BRZ headlights, but I will replace the bulbs.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #756
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Philips and OSRAM are OEM manufacturers of HID bulbs.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote