follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
OsageJJ

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Temporary mounting point for OFT (and maybe more)

Howdy, everyone! I recently got done with a mod to my car that I wanted to share with the community, in case it has some appeal to others in this forum.

I recently bought an Open Flash Tablet, and it's been fun playing around with the ECU tunes on my ride (I should've done this a long time ago!). Ever since I bought it, though, I’ve been trying to find a place to temporarily mount the OFT while I'm driving. I didn’t want to start hacking at my car’s trim pieces or the dash, and I didn't want to use a visible mount that might entice thieves to start looking in my car for what ain't theirs. What I wanted was a spot near me when driving that would be fairly stable, but easily removable so there would be little to no trace of any mods done.

After searching the limited options to mount the OFT so that it could be seen from the driver’s seat, I hit on a solution: If I could somehow place it just below the radio, but directly in front of the center and right-hand climate controls, I could use it while driving and still have access to the AC if I needed it.

I ended up making a “hanger” for the OFT out of Velcro and a keyring, and I placed it between the hazard button and the passenger airbag/seatbelt light. The Velcro strip I used had adhesive tape on the back side, which I used to attach it on the back of the dash trim panel.

A quick search of my junk drawer yielded an appropriately sized hook for the OFT. After solving that issue, I then realized that I could clip a clothespin to the OFT cable to angle the device out away from the AC controls underneath.

The plus to this is that I can use the mounting ring for other stuff -- as long as my stuff has a hook on the back, that is.

Bonus mod: Since the stock radio didn’t come with satellite radio, I bought a SIRIUS Commander touchscreen radio and mounted it just to the left of my rearview mirror. I used the AUX line-in to feed the audio into my sound system, and that allows me to keep the navigation map on at all times when I’m driving. If anyone wants to read about my stereo upgrade, go to this thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137706

I’m attaching some photos that will show the mods I made for these projects. If anyone has any questions, please let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them. Happy modding!
Attached Images

Last edited by OsageJJ; 03-09-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Figured out a better tweak for this mod.
OsageJJ is offline   Reply With Quote