follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #15
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Even the best AWD is no better than a RWD if they don't put actual winter tires on it. Those extra wheels don't make up for driving on hockey puck summer or A/S tires. One of the cars I had to push out of the way was an STi on shiny new all seasons. It was minus 10 out and those tires may as well have been solid steel. He was amazed that I was just cruising along with no issues in my RWD.
Yeah, I missed 'all things being equal' (re: tires.)

I'm a firm believer in winter tires.

I have a set for my FXT, my BRZ, my wifes crosstrek, and a spare set of cheap mastercrafts on 16" steelies juuuuust in case.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #16
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Mine has been through 5 winters now, only been stuck once... it was in a parking lot in over a foot of new snow. I didn't feel so bad because there was also a bunch of small SUV's stuck too.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
SLVRSRFR (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
4 winters and counting. Only got stuck going up my driveway with deep snow (around 8"). I didn't plan my entry correctly.
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-31-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #18
Gibtronikz

Drives: 2016 RS 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnuttall View Post
I live in the same city as Tcoat. Last winter was my first with the BRZ, but not the first with a rear wheel drive car (learned to drive in an early '80s Pontiac Parisienne). The BRZ is actually one of the best cars I've driven in snow. The balance is perfect, so with a good set of snow tires (I've got Nokian Hakka R2s) I never had any trouble. It's not as good as my Audi (which also has good snow tires - Pirelli Winter Sottozero III), but that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
YESSS I've been looking for someone with those tires, I'm purchasing a set in the next couple of days. My first winter with the RS2.0 but after reading all these posts I'm kinda excited.
Gibtronikz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gibtronikz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-13-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 05:18 AM   #19
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I drove mine last winter with Chinese winter tires.

The day I got my winter tires, I walked out and it was snowing really really hard! The parking lot my car was in, had about 5 inches of snow. I was sailing rather than driving. It took me 5 hours and a half to get back home (was in Scarborough and had to get back to Oakville/ misssauga/ Milton border (9th and Britannia)). Throughout the drive, I experienced uphills/ downhills, bumper to bumper traffic and rock solid snow. The struggle was minimal even when I was going over 50 kph. I was impressed at how the car handled the rough weather.

The only thing you need to pay attention to is that, your car is rwd. Don’t treat it like it’s an all wheel drive. Take very slow turns and be gentle with the gas pedal.

Also, whenever you find an empty parking lot, make sure you delay your plans, go in and practice making them donuts !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #20
ikuGANO

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If I can't find a Winter beater for myself before month end, I will most likely drive mine in for this Winter season...I was thinking of getting a set of x-ices, but I want to know what brands our other fellow Ontarians use..
ikuGANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #21
skribblez

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Been running xice 3's for two season's and never had a problem at all! Just be careful on your throttle and you'll be more than ok.
skribblez is offline   Reply With Quote