follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2015, 02:50 AM   #1
amilhazes

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Ultramarine, A/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Borla Axel back s type exhaust ?

Hey all. Someone on an 86 fbook page I'm part of has a borla axel back exhaust for sale. I was hoping some people might be able to give me some feed back and let me know if it's worth it ? He has it prices fairly well. Sound ? Performance (if any from axel back)? Install difficult and / or cost to install if I have a shop do it for me ? Any and all details are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by amilhazes; 01-18-2015 at 03:20 AM.
amilhazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
j_Zer0

Drives: Asphalt FRS 2014
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have this exhaust on my FRS. It was a dealer - installed option. I was initially disappointed that it wasn't a catback, but I've grown to appreciate it and I've decided I'm completely happy with it. The sound is nice. A subdued bass - filled hum at idle and a decently throaty growl at WOT. Decibel range is just right for me. There won't be any performance gains from just an axleback, but then again there isn't much to be gained from a catback (1 - 3 hp). I can't speak to the installation since it was a dealership upgrade, but I'd think a good shop should do it for $100 max. Since you're still stock (I think) I'll point out that you can get the Borla catback for around $750 on Amazon, which may or may not be attractive depending on the price of the axleback. If it tells you anything though, I'm happy with mine and I doubt I'll ever go to the trouble or expense to swap it out.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amilhazes View Post
Hey all. Someone on an 86 fbook page I'm part of has a borla axel back exhaust for sale. I was hoping some people might be able to give me some feed back and let me know if it's worth it ? He has it prices fairly well. Sound ? Performance (if any from axel back)? Install difficult and / or cost to install if I have a shop do it for me ? Any and all details are greatly appreciated. Thanks
While I'm sure many on here will argue this, neither a catback or axleback will not add a noticeable amount of power. The install is not difficult, you just unbolt your stock axleback, slide if out of the rubber hangers, then put the new one on the hangers and bolt it up. You will need WD40 if your stock exhaust is rusted.

If you plan on doing a full exhaust down the road, then you should probably get a catback for the time being. If you just want a better sound, an axleback is perfect.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
amilhazes

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Ultramarine, A/T
Thanks guys. I was able to pick up the borla for 300. Now just have to see if I can manage the install. Thanks a lot
amilhazes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amilhazes For This Useful Post:
Gunman (01-18-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
PHLonomenal

Drives: Whiteout 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
Borla is a great choice. Good luck with install.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk