follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Nefarious

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So chirping noise from high pressure fuel pump

Sounds like little birds inside my engine. However the tech wouldn't even look at it because they said my vin doesn't fall in the effective range it's a 2013 i looked at the first bulletin and my vin is JF1ZNAA12D17114XX.

I am the second owner however it is at 357xx in miles so this should be covered under manufacuterer power train according to the TSB.

According to them that's higher than the reported vins effected i called toyota they said yes that's correct then she said she'd call the dealer well come to finf out ahe was off right when i called and just wanted to get me off the phone first she said it's not covered under warranty then revised and said oh it is under powertrain. She then asked me why they didn't fix it.

I'm like wtf who am i speaking to... Couldn't comprehend without repeating myself and what really pissed me off is when she said she doesn't want to repeat herself saying my car isn't covered under warranty until she realized oh wait it is ubder piwertrain....

She's like well I'm technically off now as well so even if you do go to a different dealership we'll be closed. She was rude, pretty ignorant or just plain stupid not sure which.

Considering I asked to speak to someone higher she said she was the highest and will call back on Monday.. Don't recall her getting mt number. She said she'd call or me to call rofl

This honestly is the worst experience I've ever had with a dealership followed by a call to the manufacturer. I had to beg her to pull up the TSB.

I have videos. It's so loud you can cleaely hear outside my garage anyway but we were at a paintball field and at loud ass walmart.

I miss my 370 they never gave me this kind of bs btw this is my first experience with toyota dealership and toyota north america.

I had been dealing with Nissan without a glitch even put me in a 2015 due to numerous issues out of the certified 13 nismo i had.

Sorry for the rant but had to share and really could use some advice without ne driving through the dealership window while there closed tomorrow.
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Nefarious

Wow a lot of spelling mistakes sorry attempting to fix. Phone also acting up -.-
Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
what do you want them to do about it? replacing the HPFP isn't guaranteed to fix the chirping.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Nefarious

Oh it's not @shiumai ? Is it common and causes no failures? If that's the case i can tune it our with headers exhaust and drop in.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
kakacarrotcake
Banned

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to kakacarrotcake Send a message via AIM to kakacarrotcake Send a message via Yahoo to kakacarrotcake
The chirping noise is well documented throughout the community and is extremely common especially among 2013 models. Most members have had luck keeping the "crickets" quiet by exclusively using chevron gas, including myself.

Look here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11587
kakacarrotcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kakacarrotcake For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
PNW-BRZ

Drives: 2015 Limited
Garage
Yes, Chevron Supreme gets rid of them for me. I haven't found any other gas that gets rid of it.
PNW-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-BRZ View Post
Yes, Chevron Supreme gets rid of them for me. I haven't found any other gas that gets rid of it.
Sunoco 93 with 10% or less Ethanol does also. Or drastically reduces them. Just go to the dealer, let them hear the chirp and have them look up the recent TSB Technical Service Bulletin about a the redesigned pump replacement. No Charge

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
The chirp does nothing detrimental, and I have had damn good luck with not getting them by using gas with 0% ethanol, if it's 10%, I seem to get them. It also comes and goes with the weather. I seem to never get a chirp when it's cold out, but in the heat of the summer, I get them fairly often.

Another sure fire fix, is to actually just drive the car. Guaranteed you won't hear them then
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I print out the TSB's, and bring them with me. Most are available on here, so then you know, and you are holding the info, not relying on them.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,824 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
I print out the TSB's, and bring them with me. Most are available on here, so then you know, and you are holding the info, not relying on them.
@Nefarious ....... also, with TSB in hand, ask to speak with the general manager.

Meanwhile, switch gas.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Bring the TSB mentioned in this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111525

I have a 2013 FRS with the latest revision of the pump. So far it seems to be working for me. I've had it since November of last year, been driving it in winter (no chirps) and now in semi-spring (80's-90s) no chirps.

I'm using E10 from Costco. It's worth a shot of trying. The only thing is, there seems to be more clattering and clicking noises from the Engine (sounds like a Diesel?)

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,824 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Bring the TSB mentioned in this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111525

I have a 2013 FRS with the latest revision of the pump. So far it seems to be working for me. I've had it since November of last year, been driving it in winter (no chirps) and now in semi-spring (80's-90s) no chirps.

I'm using E10 from Costco. It's worth a shot of trying. The only thing is, there seems to be more clattering and clicking noises from the Engine (sounds like a Diesel?)
Oh, my .......the crickets just have gone into deep cover ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #13
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
How many headers will it take to tune them out?
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
Nefarious

I was referring to "tune" them out by hearing exhaust and headers over the chirping. I'm using 93 of course mine is very consistent. Everytime i run the car have 4 different videos days temperatures of the issue.

The "tech" says my vin doesn't fall under the right vin range as I put in the post. They refuse to even look at it. They know it's a common issue, he pulled the TSB and I brought it on my phone both 1st and then the 2nd revision for some reason I can't pull the latest, apperently my "VIN" doesn't fall under the effected VIN range.

Thanks for all the real advice but if you heard mine you'd understand why I'm so frustrated it's not subtle by any means.... Might just drive another hour next wemekend to another dealership that wants to actually "fix" an issue that's supposed to be known and covered.

Funny thing is i thiught it was the belt I originally went in because the cam plate is dripping onto my manifold. They chose to fix that after 5 hours but have to wait for them to get one in. Funny thing is that's apperently not a tsb or a recall but they are fixing that outside of warranty.

Seems like the kid who seems to be about 20 either doesn't know how or wants to even claim the work for the fuel pump especially since he was looking at my valves that are weeping out oil. He says that's not covered unless it's dripping i said well that's because you're on the wrong side of the engine but good to know my valve gasket is leaking a little. He didn't even know what the cam plate was i had to show him *sigh* and that was one of my vacation days wasted.

Anyway i expected some helpfull and bs responses like on any forum and as always i appreciate the helpful and thoughtful responses.