follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #15
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Eh, I might be 19 and have done some stupid stuff, but my dad allowed me to borrow his car from time to time and to be honest with you, if you don't trust him, don't lend him the car.. Because if he wants to do something stupid, no matter what restriction you placed, he'll find a way to do it, trust me. Make him realize you're trusting him with your baby (as my father did) and if you don't think he's mature enough to respect someone else's property, I don't see why you should hand him the keys. Just my .02 as a young driver who worked to earn his father trust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 AM   #16
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
OTS Teen-proof map v1.0?

Last edited by forzajuve; 03-11-2014 at 03:14 AM.
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forzajuve For This Useful Post:
FrsDuke (04-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #17
Bg8780

Drives: '13 Black Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I plan on doing something like this but purely as an actual valet mode. A valet doesn't need to go over 40mph to park my car. But doing something like this to your son without letting him know could be a safety issue. If he has to go on the highway or something that may be a slight issue.

I'm with @Simon99 on this one. If you're afraid to trust him, don't let him take the car. When I was his age my dad would let me borrow his 07 SI to take to school and around town. It wasn't "his baby" since there was an 2007 ISF and a '63 split window Stingray in the garage but he still acted like it was and it was an uphill battle everytime I asked to borrow it.

Being 18ish I certainly hooned around a bit (as much as you can in a FWD) but I never caused any damage and I really taught myself a lot with a "sportier" car at my disposal. Without that car I probably wouldn't have learned how to heel-toe, trail brake, how weight transfers through a chassis, etc. By the time he let me drive the ISF and the Corvette, he was thoroughly impressed with what I have taught myself with a Civic SI. Which, if you drive with my dad, you would see he isn't easy to impress when it comes to driving smoothly and quickly so it meant a lot to me to have him quiet in the passenger seat and not criticising (yelling and cursing) my EVERY shift as I drove a 4-speed cable clutch Stingray (with a gearbox older than me) almost as smooth as him my first try. Just that little bit of freedom taught me invaluable skills when it comes to driving. If it wasn't for that little black FWD coupe and my dad I may have already wrapped my BRZ around a tree.

TL ; DR, Just letting him take the car and learn how to use the car properly can be a valuable life lesson for him. But again, if you can't trust him with it don't hand over the keys yet.
Bg8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bg8780 For This Useful Post:
cjsporl1996 (03-12-2014), Simon99 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #18
Simon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg8780 View Post
I plan on doing something like this but purely as an actual valet mode. A valet doesn't need to go over 40mph to park my car. But doing something like this to your son without letting him know could be a safety issue. If he has to go on the highway or something that may be a slight issue.

I'm with @Simon99 on this one. If you're afraid to trust him, don't let him take the car. When I was his age my dad would let me borrow his 07 SI to take to school and around town. It wasn't "his baby" since there was an 2007 ISF and a '63 split window Stingray in the garage but he still acted like it was and it was an uphill battle everytime I asked to borrow it.

Being 18ish I certainly hooned around a bit (as much as you can in a FWD) but I never caused any damage and I really taught myself a lot with a "sportier" car at my disposal. Without that car I probably wouldn't have learned how to heel-toe, trail brake, how weight transfers through a chassis, etc. By the time he let me drive the ISF and the Corvette, he was thoroughly impressed with what I have taught myself with a Civic SI. Which, if you drive with my dad, you would see he isn't easy to impress when it comes to driving smoothly and quickly so it meant a lot to me to have him quiet in the passenger seat and not criticising (yelling and cursing) my EVERY shift as I drove a 4-speed cable clutch Stingray (with a gearbox older than me) almost as smooth as him my first try. Just that little bit of freedom taught me invaluable skills when it comes to driving. If it wasn't for that little black FWD coupe and my dad I may have already wrapped my BRZ around a tree.

TL ; DR, Just letting him take the car and learn how to use the car properly can be a valuable life lesson for him. But again, if you can't trust him with it don't hand over the keys yet.

Definitely feeling you on that uphill battle regarding a 997 ! Glad to see I didn't sounded like a youngster offering biased opinion.

This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon99 For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #19
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just let the kid enjoy his prom
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carlitoz3 For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (03-11-2014), cjsporl1996 (03-12-2014), kiichiro (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #20
Bg8780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
Definitely feeling you on that uphill battle regarding a 997 ! Glad to see I didn't sounded like a youngster offering biased opinion.

Haha! I wouldn't blame my dad for not letting 18 year old me drive a 997. Being RR I definitely wouldn have crashed. He still would have let me drive it though, just not by myself. He bought a 2003 996 recently and let me drive that when he came down to Atlanta for the Petit Le Mans. Great car for the money he spent. Him and my mom and loving that car. He finally listened to me an bought a Porsche
Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #21
Simon99

Quote:
Haha! I wouldn't blame my dad for not letting 18 year old me drive a 997. Being RR I definitely wouldn have crashed. He still would have let me drive it though, just not by myself. He bought a 2003 996 recently and let me drive that when he came down to Atlanta for the Petit Le Mans. Great car for the money he spent. Him and my mom and loving that car. He finally listened to me an bought a Porsche

Eh, I'll probably sound fucking stupid, but it's not just for the the driving experience, but also for the looks you get ! Anyway he sold it to enjoy his Harley, hence why I'm purchasing my own Porsche (dat BRZ got that push to start, take that Porsche !)

Bg8780 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 AM   #22
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I remember seeing a valet map for unichip. Never actually tried it so I can't tell you if it works,
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 AM   #23
Bg8780

Quote:
Eh, I'll probably sound fucking stupid, but it's not just for the the driving experience, but also for the looks you get ! Anyway he sold it to enjoy his Harley, hence why I'm purchasing my own Porsche (dat BRZ got that push to start, take that Porsche !)

Too each their own. If I was about the looks I'd buy a 328i, debadge it and slap some BBS's on it. Then tell all the sluts at the bar I drive a "beemer" Like all the other bros wearing a fedora.

Good call on a Porsche though. Still tell the girls you drive a Porsche and a great driving experience. Win-win. I was looking at picking up a similar car that dad ended up with. Just can't afford the maintenence and no warranty.

Sorry OP.

Back on topic, let the kid enjoy his prom. If it were my kid, I'd break down like this.

Drive the car nice and easy:
  • Girl isn't freaked out and scared (depends on her personality though).
  • You still look cool showing up in a nice looking car at prom.
  • Maybe do one little flick in a safe area and no traffic, still impress the girl.
Drive like you stole it:
  • The girl is scared and uneasy and you look irresponsible. Most girls I've been with don't like the aggressive driving and get mad. This includes my current girlfriend. She HATES it.
  • Crash the car being an idiot and ruin your ENTIRE prom. Dad kills you, girl thinks your a douche and can't drive for shit
I'm sure he's a smart kid and if you break it down like this he'll see it's not worth the risk to hoon the car until he properly learns how (that's your job, dad)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bg8780 For This Useful Post:
z3ro (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #24
Simon99

Quote:
Too each their own. If I was about the looks I'd buy a 328i, debadge it and slap some BBS's on it. Then tell all the sluts at the bar I drive a "beemer" Like all the other bros wearing a fedora.

Good call on a Porsche though. Still tell the girls you drive a Porsche and a great driving experience. Win-win. I was looking at picking up a similar car that dad ended up with. Just can't afford the maintenence and no warranty.

Sorry OP.

Back on topic, let the kid enjoy his prom. If it were my kid, I'd break down like this.

Drive the car nice and easy:
  • Girl isn't freaked out and scared (depends on her personality though).
  • You still look cool showing up in a nice looking car at prom.
  • Maybe do one little flick in a safe area and no traffic, still impress the girl.
Drive like you stole it:
  • The girl is scared and uneasy and you look irresponsible. Most girls I've been with don't like the aggressive driving and get mad. This includes my current girlfriend. She HATES it.
  • Crash the car being an idiot and ruin your ENTIRE prom. Dad kills you, girl thinks your a douche and can't drive for shit
I'm sure he's a smart kid and if you break it down like this he'll see it's not worth the risk to hoon the car until he properly learns how (that's your job, dad)

Hahaha I wanted to get a Bimmer for that exact reason... Bitches love bimmers hehe.

& at the daddy OP, the best thing my dad did with me was take me into an empty parking lot at night and show me low speed manoeuver in a sport car. Perhaps that could secure you once you know what he's capable of doing and at the same time teach him his limits and the limits of the car ? I did this three times: dry weather, wet and during the first November snow, closest to HPDE I could get !

Bg8780 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:39 AM   #25
Bg8780

Quote:
Hahaha I wanted to get a Bimmer for that exact reason... Bitches love bimmers hehe.

& at the daddy OP, the best thing my dad did with me was take me into an empty parking lot at night and show me low speed manoeuver in a sport car. Perhaps that could secure you once you know what he's capable of doing and at the same time teach him his limits and the limits of the car ? I did this three times: dry weather, wet and during the first November snow, closest to HPDE I could get !

Lol! Go with the Porsche though. Nothing wrong with a great driving experience and "experience"

Simon is right OP. Modding the car to better deal with your son is one thing, modding your son to better deal with the car is a better time investment. Teach him the skills to be a better drive overall. Could safe his life one day. Hell, maybe take it a step further and take him to some HPDE events. You both can walk away from the track with some new skills
Simon99 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #26
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Holy overnight response!

Thanks for all the comments.
I have ROMRaider & ECUFlash/Tactrix.
I will look at the suggestions above next time I play with RR.
I like the throttle opening solution because everything would be normal, just slower response.

Re: The "trust" issue. I coud even be "trusted" (wink, wink) when I borrowed my older brother's 83 280ZX. I still managed to get it sideways on some gravel and clipped a curb when I was young and stupid. Or drove my dad's 84 supra over a parking block, or spun my mom's 82 cressida 360 deg. BOTH ways in traffic on the ice, etc...

Anyway. I'll think about it. I already told him that I was considering making him a "neutered ROM" so he would be aware.

However he might not be aware of the spare smart phone running torque in full logging mode hidden in the back seat

Re: The "Porsche" discussion. My "other" car is a porsche! It just happens to be a 71 914 vintage racecar. That would be a fun Prom car, but helping the lady In & Out of the passenger race seat in full prom dress would be interesting
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (03-11-2014), Simon99 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
Bg8780

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Holy overnight response!

I like the throttle opening solution because everything would be normal, just slower response.

Re: The "trust" issue. I coud even be "trusted" (wink, wink) when I borrowed my older brother's 83 280ZX. I still managed to get it sideways on some gravel and clipped a curb when I was young and stupid. Or drove my dad's 84 supra over a parking block, or spun my mom's 82 cressida 360 deg. BOTH ways in traffic on the ice, etc...

Anyway. I'll think about it. I already told him that I was considering making him a "neutered ROM" so he would be aware.

However he might not be aware of the spare smart phone running torque in full logging mode hidden in the back seat

Re: The "Porsche" discussion. My "other" car is a porsche! It just happens to be a 71 914 vintage racecar. That would be a fun Prom car, but helping the lady In & Out of the passenger race seat in full prom dress would be interesting
Smart phone logging Torque is a great idea! Go that route! And please follow up with what happens lol

Having his date hopping over the roll cage to get in and out would be absolutely BADASS!!!! I get a half chub when I see sports/race cars still doing anything a hatchback or econobox can. Like the skirack on top of a Cayman or 458 going across country, and your 914 track car going to prom. NO COMPROMISE! BECAUSE RACECAR! So awesome.
stugray (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #28
Simon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Holy overnight response!

Even a prom dress in a twin sound interesting ! Definately take pictures ! She shouldn't be that younger than me

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk