follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 09-27-2022, 07:44 PM   #813
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
My theory is that this can be a sudden or a gradual death, and in the event of a gradual problem, UOA will pick it up.
That's a bit like saying the answer is Yes or No.

That's exactly the point of UOA. That's why Blackstone Labs has been around for almost 4 decades. Incredibly popular in the BMW crowd who have cars with S motors known for eating rod bearings.

Engines like the S54 in the E46 M3 are notorious for this. Some speculation is that bearings are too narrow to carry the HP and RPM load of the engine, since it has the same bore spacing as the old M20. A 6k 170hp engine, not an 8400rpm 333hp engine.

Some of the pro's think the reason is guys beating on the cars before the oil is fully up to temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Agree there is a lack of info on other bearings since most find the one and "OK there is the problem we are done here" but there have been enough saying just the one that I am comfortable in making the statement.
If there was even one oil analysis that said "we have concerns" I may also change my outlook but there just isn't.

Failure mode and risk analysis of industrial processes are what I have done for 30 years and I will say that with what we have I am about 75% confident that these failures are sudden. I would be happy to change that level (up or down) with a nice big data set but I don't think we are going to get much more info than we already have. Really the only new data I expect is if the mileages go up and there are still multiple failures but at this point they seem to have stopped. Or at least no longer get reported!
I'm more curious about build dates, so far it seems most of the ones reported have been 11-12/21 build dates.
Petah78 (09-27-2022), Tcoat (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 07:54 PM   #814
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

That's exactly the point of UOA. That's why Blackstone Labs has been around for almost 4 decades. Incredibly popular in the BMW crowd who have cars with S motors known for eating rod bearings.

Engines like the S54 in the E46 M3 are notorious for this. Some speculation is that bearings are too narrow to carry the HP and RPM load of the engine, since it has the same bore spacing as the old M20. A 6k 170hp engine, not an 8400rpm 333hp engine.

Some of the pro's think the reason is guys beating on the cars before the oil is fully up to temp.

I'm more curious about build dates, so far it seems most of the ones reported have been 11-12/21 build dates.
That is why I am watching the oil results so closely. So far there is zero indication of gradual abnormal wear. That could of course change with more results but still looks sudden.

I never really looked at dates since I was looking more for a failure mode than anything. I would guess that it is probably a pretty tight range though. These things usually don't last long before they are caught.
CincyJohn (09-28-2022), OkieSnuffBox (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #815
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
That is why I am watching the oil results so closely. So far there is zero indication of gradual abnormal wear. That could of course change with more results but still looks sudden.

I never really looked at dates since I was looking more for a failure mode than anything. I would guess that it is probably a pretty tight range though. These things usually don't last long before they are caught.
I've been curious about the build dates because, the dates seem clustered. So maybe a bad batch of RTV? Machine out of calibration? Etc.
Tcoat (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #816
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

And some additional info, pretty sure he is a member on here....
That's me, and here is the report from the video:
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2022, 11:04 PM   #817
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

Yeah, I am just not ruling anything out. I just feel that UOA can provide some cheap insurance, though cannot completely eliminate the problem.

Build dates are definitely interesting. I don’t think there is an established pattern for RTV. And I don’t think there are enough samples with engines failures to establish a pattern?
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:28 AM   #818
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, I am just not ruling anything out. I just feel that UOA can provide some cheap insurance, though cannot completely eliminate the problem.

Build dates are definitely interesting. I don’t think there is an established pattern for RTV. And I don’t think there are enough samples with engines failures to establish a pattern?
Oh there is a pattern. Yes it could be better with more data but still a pattern.

The oil analysis is great but by the time you get the results telling you there is an issue the damage is already going to be done.
Justin's report is almost perfect much the same as all the rest. There is just no evidence at all (at this point) that there is any gradual wear happening.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #819
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh there is a pattern. Yes it could be better with more data but still a pattern.

The oil analysis is great but by the time you get the results telling you there is an issue the damage is already going to be done.
Justin's report is almost perfect much the same as all the rest. There is just no evidence at all (at this point) that there is any gradual wear happening.
What is the pattern you are seeing? RTV or failures?

Problem is that we have not seen any UOA of the failed engines while it was still running (or again, maybe i missed this info?) thus we do not know if they were suffering from a gradual slow death. All the positive UOAs that we have seen thus far are from engines that have not failed and very well might never fail. What i am seeing is that more evidence suggests that RTV is not causing premature wear so these spun bearings is likely not related.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 09:11 AM   #820
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

The only way for there to be no gradual wear is to never start the engine.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Petah78 (09-28-2022), Tcoat (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 09:14 AM   #821
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
The only way for there to be no gradual wear is to never start the engine.
True. The better term would be abnormal gradual wear.
Never starting the engine brings up a whole different set of issue though.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:28 AM   #822
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Agreed.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #823
Tcoat

Quote:
What is the pattern you are seeing? RTV or failures?

Problem is that we have not seen any UOA of the failed engines while it was still running (or again, maybe i missed this info?) thus we do not know if they were suffering from a gradual slow death. All the positive UOAs that we have seen thus far are from engines that have not failed and very well might never fail. What i am seeing is that more evidence suggests that RTV is not causing premature wear so these spun bearings is likely not related.

As I have said many times there is more than just the obvious collected RTV at play here. Everybody is fixated on that because it is so in your face that they tend to miss the bigger picture.

The failed engines to this point have all been very low mileage and abnormal gradual wear to the point of bearing failure just does not make sense. I bet that any analysis on those engines minutes before they failed would have shown no problem.

Bearings most often spin due to poor lubrication. There are of course other things that can come into play but lube is by far the number one cause. This is not a new or even uncommon issue. Usually means that somebody didn't watch their oil level though. When just one bearing spins and the rest are fine (as we know from a couple of examples) that means the flow was impeded to that one bearing. There have been enough examples of small pieces found in the oil filters to know that at least some made it into the system. A piece not much bigger than the head of a pin blocking a bearing oil journal is more than enough to take out that single bearing very quickly. Add the stress of performance driving to that reduced oil flow and the result is sudden and catastrophic failure.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:55 AM   #824
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
As I have said many times there is more than just the obvious collected RTV at play here. Everybody is fixated on that because it is so in your face that they tend to miss the bigger picture.

The failed engines to this point have all been very low mileage and abnormal gradual wear to the point of bearing failure just does not make sense. I bet that any analysis on those engines minutes before they failed would have shown no problem.

Bearings most often spin due to poor lubrication. There are of course other things that can come into play but lube is by far the number one cause. This is not a new or even uncommon issue. Usually means that somebody didn't watch their oil level though. When just one bearing spins and the rest are fine (as we know from a couple of examples) that means the flow was impeded to that one bearing. There have been enough examples of small pieces found in the oil filters to know that at least some made it into the system. A piece not much bigger than the head of a pin blocking a bearing oil journal is more than enough to take out that single bearing very quickly. Add the stress of performance driving to that reduced oil flow and the result is sudden and catastrophic failure.
How would the rtv be getting through the filter? Aren't most filters capturing particulates at the 30-40 micron level?
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:01 AM   #825
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
How would the rtv be getting through the filter? Aren't most filters capturing particulates at the 30-40 micron level?
It can be introduced after the filter since many parts use it. There are several different colours involved not just the grey from the pan and the timing cover.
The oil filter is bypassed on cold start and under high pressure. Not every ounce of oil goes through the filter all the time.

The big stuff caught in the pickup is the least of the worries as far as I see.

JusTheG (09-29-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #826
dreamwonder

Drives: GR86 2022
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwonder View Post
Will add a data point. Mine was built on Oct/21, have 12k miles on it so far with about 3 to 4k of that in DE. No issues so far.
Spoke too soon. Guess my number is up.

Toyota denied warranty. Goodwill denied as well.
Reason:
1. Previous gen oil filter was used.
2. 0w30 oil was used.
3. Car hit 129mph at 8300rpm on 5th gear ???

Car saw 32 days with 14k total miles before engine failed. If I was at fault, I will own up to it. But wow...this is my 3rd 86 and have hundreds of days on previous 2 cars.
dreamwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreamwonder For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-29-2022), gcmak (09-29-2022), JusTheG (09-29-2022), Tcoat (09-28-2022)

Tags
oh no not again