follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2022, 08:44 PM   #29
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Drives: 2023 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My guess is that it's touching on something. It might even be the coilover springs or something like that it touches under high compression? It doesn't have to be rubbing the liner..

If you have coilovers already, you can perhaps find a spot where it always happens, stiffen (compression of) the fronts, and see if it still does. If it helps, perhaps you'd consider adding a stiffer sway bar, increasing spring rate, or run it with stiffer compression.

In my case suspension is bone stock, so nothing much I can do short of a sway bar : )

A friend also suggested it might be EPS losing power (or getting overwhelmed) but I don't think that's my case, since my tires are not even wide enough to push it that much.
'19 Corvette Z06 Z07 (Track Build Thread)

Last edited by X25; 08-13-2022 at 09:05 PM.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:06 PM   #30
Powersfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
My guess is that it's touching on something. It might even be the coilover springs or something like that it touches under high compression? It doesn't have to be rubbing the liner..

If you have coilovers already, you can perhaps find a spot where it always happens, stiffen (compression of) the fronts, and see if it still does. If so, perhaps you'd consider adding a stiffer sway bar, increasing spring rate, or run it with stiffer compression.

In my case suspension is bone stock, so nothing much I can do short of a sway bar : )

A friend also suggested it might be EPS losing power (or getting overwhelmed) but I don't think that's my case, since my tires are not even wide enough to push it that much.
I thought the same thing about the eps since I’m running a lot of grip with 265
I will be adding sway bars soon and see if it continues to happen.
I checked and I’m definitely not rubbing. I spent a while just starting at the wheel well and nothing.
How are the AP racing endurance brakes? I’m also looking into getting those soon.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #31
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

AP Brakes are fine, and after that air issue is fixed, so far no issues : ) These 3.12 Ferodo pads seems to need a bit of heat to work well, but other than that, it's all good. The idea of using these brakes is to have a long lasting system, and that will be the ultimate test. I'm keeping journal of all consumables, and will check on how much life I can get out of each brake component. My C7 Z06 does about 500 laps per rotor, and about half that per pad, and I'm hoping this car would be 3-4x that.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #32
Powersfrs

Great to hear. I’m running carbotech xp8 on oem calipers and they do very well in my local canyon. Great bite and great when cold. Very strong when hot.I do want more heat dissipation thus why I want the endurance version.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #33
gcmak

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
One thing it seems to have been useful for is how much camera pans the outer direction during a turn. I should try lesser stabilization settings, and perhaps just turn it off, and stabilize it myself.

Looks like there will be only 6 or so cars tomorrow! I should have all the time I'd need to feel this new car..
Firmware for me was not a fix for the freezing, sadly. If your mount is firm/stable, just turn off stabilization. The panning is also less wild if you use the widest setting since there's less for it to pan and stabilize.

To me using spot or EV is about the same in most cases. I still prefer EV so there's no added prep for the camera before each of my sessions - I just hit record, it turns on and starts - the footage is totally usable even when the sun is hitting the camera directly.

Love seeing your progress!
gcmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #34
gcmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersfrs View Post
I thought the same thing about the eps since I’m running a lot of grip with 265
I will be adding sway bars soon and see if it continues to happen.
I checked and I’m definitely not rubbing. I spent a while just starting at the wheel well and nothing.
How are the AP racing endurance brakes? I’m also looking into getting those soon.
Checked for any witness marks on your sway bar, endlinks, toe arms, LCA and body of car near where the upper end link attaches to the strut?

Those are common interference/binding areas if your car is modified with added negative camber. The debates of binding, bottoming out suspension, and EPS continue from Gen 1 to Gen 2 haha.

I'm headed to the track in a week with my new setup. I know for a fact my endlinks on the strut side, will impact the body of my car if one side of the car is under full compression and full steering lock - which hopefully won't be a problem for 99.9% of the time (save for a spin), but I'll be monitoring things and see how it feels and look for witness marks.
The Following User Says Thank You to gcmak For This Useful Post:
Powersfrs (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #35
Powersfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
Checked for any witness marks on your sway bar, endlinks, toe arms, LCA and body of car near where the upper end link attaches to the strut?

Those are common interference/binding areas if your car is modified with added negative camber. The debates of binding, bottoming out suspension, and EPS continue from Gen 1 to Gen 2 haha.

I'm headed to the track in a week with my new setup. I know for a fact my endlinks on the strut side, will impact the body of my car if one side of the car is under full compression and full steering lock - which hopefully won't be a problem for 99.9% of the time (save for a spin), but I'll be monitoring things and see how it feels and look for witness marks.
So this is a known issue since the first gen? I’ll check all those areas you mentioned thanks!!!
Old 08-14-2022, 10:35 PM   #36
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
... and here's the video comparing ReelSteady (GoPro's software that costs $99) vs. DaVinci Resolve (free for non-professionals) on post recording stabilization of the very same video:

what video overlay is that?
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #37
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
what video overlay is that?
You mean the overlay on the left side? That's something I created using RaceRender using their UI elements available. I log the data on the phone using RaceChrono. I created this video (split screen) by using DaVinci Resolve, though.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #38
gcmak

Quote:
So this is a known issue since the first gen? I’ll check all those areas you mentioned thanks!!!
yeah cause essentially the hardware and frame of the cars are the same, so any EPS limitations, suspension geometry interference etc. can be addressed. the shop i work with hasn't messed with the platform in a while (tho they still have their shop FRS), and working on my car brought back all sorts of memories for them lol.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:42 PM   #39
Powersfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
yeah cause essentially the hardware and frame of the cars are the same, so any EPS limitations, suspension geometry interference etc. can be addressed. the shop i work with hasn't messed with the platform in a while (tho they still have their shop FRS), and working on my car brought back all sorts of memories for them lol.
Ok so I found a spot on the front lower control arm where the link is touching. There’s a mark on both left and right side. I ordered a set of Whiteline links that are shorter. The link touching the lower control arm seems to be an issue like you stated on lowered cars with the oem link cause it’s too long. I’ll install next week and report back. If that doesn’t fix it I’ll add Perrin sway bars.
gcmak (08-20-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 10:42 PM   #40
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like the start of a nice build. A7s on the 1st gen were a hoot.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:11 PM   #41
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Quote:
Ok so I found a spot on the front lower control arm where the link is touching. There’s a mark on both left and right side. I ordered a set of Whiteline links that are shorter. The link touching the lower control arm seems to be an issue like you stated on lowered cars with the oem link cause it’s too long. I’ll install next week and report back. If that doesn’t fix it I’ll add Perrin sway bars.
Glad to hear you found the issue. I have not yet gotten into the ideal height discussions, but it's good to know checking on sway bar link interference is a 'thing'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
Looks like the start of a nice build. A7s on the 1st gen were a hoot.
Looking forward to trying them out, but before that, I'll need to install the coilovers and the seats/harness. The only question mark in this is the Titan roll/harness bar. Here's hoping it either fits or mostly fits, so I'd not need to spend too much time on it : )

A7s run pretty wide, and that will also be an important test for clearances. I love A7s and looking forward to trying them out on the car, but I have a feeling that they might overheat a bit on track use; I might eventually switch to R7s or other tires as my fast set.
The Following User Says Thank You to X25 For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 11:46 PM   #42
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Glad to hear you found the issue. I have not yet gotten into the ideal height discussions, but it's good to know checking on sway bar link interference is a 'thing'.

Looking forward to trying them out, but before that, I'll need to install the coilovers and the seats/harness. The only question mark in this is the Titan roll/harness bar. Here's hoping it either fits or mostly fits, so I'd not need to spend too much time on it : )

A7s run pretty wide, and that will also be an important test for clearances. I love A7s and looking forward to trying them out on the car, but I have a feeling that they might overheat a bit on track use; I might eventually switch to R7s or other tires as my fast set.

I managed to fit 295/35R17 A7s square on a first gen, but it took some permanent modifications to the front fenders and the right amount of camber all around, lol.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote