follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2019, 03:08 AM   #1
juniorrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Drives: Scion Frs
Location: South Gate
Posts: 125
Thanks: 26
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need some help picking some springs!

Hey Guys, so Iím looking for some springs that will drop me 1inch and that will improve drive feel and maybe even a little performance if possible. I donít track the car but I do touge the mountains sometimes so I donít need crazy performance springs but some improvement would be cool.

I donít know anything about suspension brands and which springs are good and which arenít so I was hoping you guys could help me out and refer me to some that are best for my buck. Thanks in Advance I really appreciate it!
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:24 AM   #2
Skyehigh55
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 64
Thanks: 27
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Eibach Pro-Kit or RCE Yellow's springs are in the ballpark of a 1" drop although the Eibach's are more like 7/8" but also keep the rear biased OEM feel.

A similar thread with more feedback on the two listed:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25820

The two have had plenty of positive reviews on this forum so you can't really go wrong with either. Just don't go lower than 1" is my suggestion. If the wheel gap is still too much for your taste with even a 1" drop, just get bigger wheels

Happy shopping fellow FT86 driver!
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyehigh55 For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (04-23-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
juniorrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Drives: Scion Frs
Location: South Gate
Posts: 125
Thanks: 26
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehigh55 View Post
Eibach Pro-Kit or RCE Yellow's springs are in the ballpark of a 1" drop although the Eibach's are more like 7/8" but also keep the rear biased OEM feel.

A similar thread with more feedback on the two listed:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25820

The two have had plenty of positive reviews on this forum so you can't really go wrong with either. Just don't go lower than 1" is my suggestion. If the wheel gap is still too much for your taste with even a 1" drop, just get bigger wheels

Happy shopping fellow FT86 driver!
Arenít those springs more for the tracks though cuz they feel much harder than stock? I want something a little bit softer than stock springs and does do a little bit for performance. Also how come going lower than 1inch is bad? I was gunna get bigger tires but I wanted to keep the speedometer and odometer pretty accurate so I stayed with similar height.
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Vital
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Thanks: 211
Thanked 332 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
Aren’t those springs more for the tracks though cuz they feel much harder than stock? I want something a little bit softer than stock springs and does do a little bit for performance. Also how come going lower than 1inch is bad? I was gunna get bigger tires but I wanted to keep the speedometer and odometer pretty accurate so I stayed with similar height.
No, those are fine for street and mild tracking. TRD springs, Eibach Pro-Kit, RCE Yellows, Hotchkis springs all lower about an 1" which is not too low and fine for DD. Any lower spring you get is going to have higher spring rates than stock. You can look into the RSR Downs they only lower the car half an inch or so 15mm. I have RCE Yellows and they are great i felt they ride better than stock and are just as comfortable as stock they are amazing springs and i would highly recommend them. Going lower than 1" means you need higher spring rate. lose shock trave, and maybe bottoming it out, and blowing it out your shocks quicker its just not worth it. Here are some RSR Downs for sale. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133828
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Gunman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,105
Thanks: 979
Thanked 1,316 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I went with Hotchkis, and they suit me for daily driving, and weekend mountain drives. The spring rates are a little softer than most of the aftermarket springs, but stiffer than OEM. Combined with their ARB's, the chassis can be tuned to fit you.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
juniorrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Drives: Scion Frs
Location: South Gate
Posts: 125
Thanks: 26
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
No, those are fine for street and mild tracking. TRD springs, Eibach Pro-Kit, RCE Yellows, Hotchkis springs all lower about an 1" which is not too low and fine for DD. Any lower spring you get is going to have higher spring rates than stock. You can look into the RSR Downs they only lower the car half an inch or so 15mm. I have RCE Yellows and they are great i felt they ride better than stock and are just as comfortable as stock they are amazing springs and i would highly recommend them. Going lower than 1" means you need higher spring rate. lose shock trave, and maybe bottoming it out, and blowing it out your shocks quicker its just not worth it. Here are some RSR Downs for sale. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133828
So there arenít many springs that actually act softer than OEM then I take most are either the same or stiffer.. Are there any that a little softer then OEM without sacrificing performance?
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
Vital
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Thanks: 211
Thanked 332 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
So there arenít many springs that actually act softer than OEM then I take most are either the same or stiffer.. Are there any that a little softer then OEM without sacrificing performance?
Yes, that is correct. You cannot have a soft suspension and the performance. When talking performance the suspension does need to be a little stiffer. I really dont think any of these springs will give you too much of a harsh ride these are all great options for staying within 1" lower. Yes, you will feel the road more and the imperfections and bumps, but its really not that bad. The only other spring i can suggest is the new USDM STI springs, but STI never releases their spring rates for some reason.

https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru...gs-p-4682.html
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Skyehigh55
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 64
Thanks: 27
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Yes, that is correct. You cannot have a soft suspension and the performance. When talking performance the suspension does need to be a little stiffer. I really dont think any of these springs will give you too much of a harsh ride these are all great options for staying within 1" lower. Yes, you will feel the road more and the imperfections and bumps, but its really not that bad. The only other spring i can suggest is the new USDM STI springs, but STI never releases their spring rates for some reason.

https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru...gs-p-4682.html
The USDM STI pink springs also don't lower the car exactly 1" so those might not be what you're looking for. Just a heads up.
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
Decep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Location: CA
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 162
Thanked 485 Times in 318 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
Arenít those springs more for the tracks though cuz they feel much harder than stock? I want something a little bit softer than stock springs and does do a little bit for performance. Also how come going lower than 1inch is bad? I was gunna get bigger tires but I wanted to keep the speedometer and odometer pretty accurate so I stayed with similar height.
If you don't want firmer than stock then definitely don't buy lowering springs. Losing suspension travel can be a bit painful at times depending on road conditions around you.

You might consider spending the bones on coilovers. Do it right and do it once. I tried a couple lowering spring options and was never quite happy with them.
The Tein Flex A are smoother than stock. Plus if you factor in the cost of new dampers since the stockers will wear faster with stiffer springs, it's not THAT much more $$.

RCE superstreets are nice (im biased) on the softer settings, i highly recommend them.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-11-2019), wparsons (04-15-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #10
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%
 
asdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: #0517
Location: southern california
Posts: 586
Thanks: 227
Thanked 251 Times in 171 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You will not find something that will be cheap, lower your car, be more comfortable than stock, and improve performance.

Even with coilovers you should be prepared to spend a little more $ for better dampers.

Lots of spring options that will provide you with a tolerable ride when you are looking at 1” drop and lots of entry level coilovers that are tolerable as well. But be prepared to compromise and level set your expectations.

Popular spring options: RCE, eibach, TRD
Popular coilovers: tein flex a, bilstein, rce, kw

Don’t rush into picking something up because it’s cheap— having gone through multiple spring and damper setups, and trying various different coilover setups, I think it would be worth it to save just a little bit more and, like @Decep said, do it right and do it once.

For what it’s worth, I’m happy with my Swedish coilovers
__________________
R1 3 5
╘┼┼┤
. 2 4 6
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:15 AM   #11
juniorrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Drives: Scion Frs
Location: South Gate
Posts: 125
Thanks: 26
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
If you don't want firmer than stock then definitely don't buy lowering springs. Losing suspension travel can be a bit painful at times depending on road conditions around you.

You might consider spending the bones on coilovers. Do it right and do it once. I tried a couple lowering spring options and was never quite happy with them.
The Tein Flex A are smoother than stock. Plus if you factor in the cost of new dampers since the stockers will wear faster with stiffer springs, it's not THAT much more $$.

RCE superstreets are nice (im biased) on the softer settings, i highly recommend them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
You will not find something that will be cheap, lower your car, be more comfortable than stock, and improve performance.

Even with coilovers you should be prepared to spend a little more $ for better dampers.

Lots of spring options that will provide you with a tolerable ride when you are looking at 1Ē drop and lots of entry level coilovers that are tolerable as well. But be prepared to compromise and level set your expectations.

Popular spring options: RCE, eibach, TRD
Popular coilovers: tein flex a, bilstein, rce, kw

Donít rush into picking something up because itís cheapó having gone through multiple spring and damper setups, and trying various different coilover setups, I think it would be worth it to save just a little bit more and, like @Decep said, do it right and do it once.

For what itís worth, Iím happy with my Swedish coilovers
I see so from all the information that you guys are giving me, coils seem to be the best way to go because I change it from very soft ride for daily and then stiffening then when I actually want more performance. Plus they are safer Than springs Iím assuming. So I was thinking of going with the Tein flex zís I was curious whatís your opinion about these? And also do you guys have any you recommend for around the same price and flex zís? P.S. Appreciate the info!
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
Gunman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,105
Thanks: 979
Thanked 1,316 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
Plus they are safer Than springs Iím assuming.
Safer, in what regard? a quality lowering spring should have no safety issues.

Technically, the car has coilovers on it OEM, the coil is over the damper
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
wparsons (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
CatDaddysBBQ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: '13 FR-S
Location: Warrenville, IL
Posts: 476
Thanks: 354
Thanked 284 Times in 141 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If you're sticking with stock shocks, RCE yellows are fantastic. .8" drop, better handling, less body roll and no less comfortable than stock.

If you want the next step up, pair a set of RCE Tarmac springs (slightly more aggressive than the yellows) with a set of Bilstein b6. performance benefits are even bigger, and the ride is FAR better than stock. Same .8" drop.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
juniorrr (04-14-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
juniorrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Drives: Scion Frs
Location: South Gate
Posts: 125
Thanks: 26
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
You will not find something that will be cheap, lower your car, be more comfortable than stock, and improve performance.

Even with coilovers you should be prepared to spend a little more $ for better dampers.

Lots of spring options that will provide you with a tolerable ride when you are looking at 1Ē drop and lots of entry level coilovers that are tolerable as well. But be prepared to compromise and level set your expectations.

Popular spring options: RCE, eibach, TRD
Popular coilovers: tein flex a, bilstein, rce, kw

Donít rush into picking something up because itís cheapó having gone through multiple spring and damper setups, and trying various different coilover setups, I think it would be worth it to save just a little bit more and, like @Decep said, do it right and do it once.

For what itís worth, Iím happy with my Swedish coilovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
If you're sticking with stock shocks, RCE yellows are fantastic. .8" drop, better handling, less body roll and no less comfortable than stock.

If you want the next step up, pair a set of RCE Tarmac springs (slightly more aggressive than the yellows) with a set of Bilstein b6. performance benefits are even bigger, and the ride is FAR better than stock. Same .8" drop.
Quick question then guys, if I had to pick between RCE Yellow Springs or Tein Basis Coilovers. Which one of these two would give me better performance? Iím between these two right now. Thank you!
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picking up a 86, or maybe not... andyzpandy Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 24 05-12-2015 05:04 AM
A little help picking a set up.... wootwoot Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 35 11-18-2014 07:41 PM
Need help picking Springs? This tool will help. kayoh Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 6 07-10-2014 01:03 PM
Picking her up at 5! remorse87 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 14 10-07-2012 11:51 AM
Need Help Picking New Phone Calais Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 10 02-22-2011 05:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.