follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
So, I do my best to explain car stuff to my girlfriend and break her in slowly without boring her to tears. I tend to cut off from the talk when she gets that glazed over look in her eyes (you guys know the one).

One of the many subjects I cover with her is rims, why I like one vs the other, and ask her opinion on them. Tonight while showing her http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6364 and explaining that the weight savings will be great for my car she responded, "Can't you just take a big dump before you drive for the same effect".

Of course that brought of the conversation of the combined weight reduction of doing both, and the fact that tires are unsprung weight, while the dump isn't.

I always wonder how women can be so uninterested. A vehicle is the second biggest investment a person will make (for most), and you use it everyday multiple times. To me, this is a decent enough foundation for interest in contrast to "her" interests such as shoes or a modest hobby. (Basically, something more negligable and with less consequence.)

I know with gender threads like this i tend to lean to a misogynistic tone. Please understand that it stems from a lot of frustration in my personal life on the topic. Although that isn't a viable excuse to express marginally misogynistic things, at least it informs a basis, however meager.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily

Last edited by Asterisked Accolade; 09-04-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asterisked Accolade For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-06-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
adprokid

Drives: ZN6 / GDB-G
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
pics

Last edited by adprokid; 09-04-2012 at 10:51 AM.
adprokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
BigRedDog

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Before this conversation goes any further. We must see a pic for context.
BigRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
Hotlava86

Drives: 2013 Hot lava Fr-s, 2007 Mazda 3
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedDog View Post
Before this conversation goes any further. We must see a pic for context.
+1

Kansas City FR-S/BRZ Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/452909128083343/

Hotlava86's Build thread!http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14152
Hotlava86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
how well does she drive a stick?

(not trying to be dirty, just got done teaching mine how to!)
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
how well does she drive a stick?

(not trying to be dirty, just got done teaching mine how to!)
Haha, funny that you say that. We were talking about it over the weekend. She's scared of learning on the frs, but I have a Honda beater where she can learn.
She surprises me everyday
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
my wife is still trying to get racing lines, we play Gran Turismo 4 every other weekend and shes got a knack at finding aggressive lines. She misses driving my rx7 when it was still streetable.

If theres any type of girl out there for car guys, it needs to be one that wants and willing for you to share your passion with her.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
my wife is still trying to get racing lines, we play Gran Turismo 4 every other weekend and shes got a knack at finding aggressive lines. She misses driving my rx7 when it was still streetable.

If theres any type of girl out there for car guys, it needs to be one that wants and willing for you to share your passion with her.
Not everyone is as lucky as some of you are, but cherish the ones when you are lucky.

Last edited by Want.FR-S; 09-04-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
Asphaltfrs1 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #24
Skyhound

Drives: Jaguar X-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
I always wonder how women can be so uninterested. A vehicle is the second biggest investment a person will make (for most), and you use it everyday multiple times. To me, this is a decent enough foundation for interest in contrast to "her" interests such as shoes or a modest hobby. (Basically, something more negligable and with less consequence.)

I know with gender threads like this i tend to lean to a misogynistic tone. Please understand that it stems from a lot of frustration in my personal life on the topic. Although that isn't a viable excuse to express marginally misogynistic things, at least it informs a basis, however meager.
Well many women DO become interested when they're boyfriend/husband buys an FR-S when they were supposed to get a nice four door sedan. Especially when it's done with family money, they get very interested in getting rid of the damn thing.

If you're in a good enough financial situation that you can buy an FR-S on the side or with your own money, why should the woman show an interest in your hobby? :/ Just because it's more expensive? You use your money on your stuff, and she'll use hers on hers.

I never understand a lot of the woman hate on this forum. It's like people don't understand that there are more important things in life than having a fun car. So when a story of a wife/gf telling the man not to get an FR-S/BRZ, the woman is the villain.
Skyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #25
bazi

Drives: 6MT Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdub View Post
Just wondering, are you interested at all when she is telling you about her new shoes? Imagine rim talk....

Or when she is talking about all her friends getting married and the kind of rings she likes "Hint hint".
bazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhound View Post
Well many women DO become interested when they're boyfriend/husband buys an FR-S when they were supposed to get a nice four door sedan. Especially when it's done with family money, they get very interested in getting rid of the damn thing.

If you're in a good enough financial situation that you can buy an FR-S on the side or with your own money, why should the woman show an interest in your hobby? :/ Just because it's more expensive? You use your money on your stuff, and she'll use hers on hers.

I never understand a lot of the woman hate on this forum. 1.)It's like people don't understand that there are more important things in life than having a fun car. 2.)So when a story of a wife/gf telling the man not to get an FR-S/BRZ, the woman is the villain.
1.) To many, it is more than that. It's a passion. Passion is very powerful.

2.) When there is a situation of a man controlling a woman, telling her what she should and should not do, it warrants an hour on Dateline. But once some men take offense to women impeding their passions, we're supposed to what-- ask for forgiveness?

I was with you for your first 2 paragraphs.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
Shizuma

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhound View Post
I never understand a lot of the woman hate on this forum. It's like people don't understand that there are more important things in life than having a fun car. So when a story of a wife/gf telling the man not to get an FR-S/BRZ, the woman is the villain.
Yeah, woman hate on car forums is why I always ultimately stop visiting every car forums I go on over time, cause I get sick of seeing posts from douchebag guys looking down on women, especially when it comes to cars. That's the same reason I avoid meets, I get ogled at and treated like I don't know anything, I've just come to the conclution that most car guys are chauvinistic jackasses.
Shizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shizuma For This Useful Post:
Giccin (09-06-2012), SkullWorks (09-05-2012), Thekaylakrunkk (12-13-2013)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #28
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
Yeah, woman hate on car forums is why I always ultimately stop visiting every car forums I go on over time, cause I get sick of seeing posts from douchebag guys looking down on women, especially when it comes to cars. That's the same reason I avoid meets, I get ogled at and treated like I don't know anything, I've just come to the conclution that most car guys are chauvinistic jackasses.
Hey now! I take offense to that!
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote