follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #505
86geek
Senior Member
 
86geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 1,000
Thanks: 1,296
Thanked 343 Times in 265 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I had no clue there was an official recall for the fuel pump till today.
Took my car in for service and was told I needed to do it before my 5 year warranty expires in two months. Service writer asked me if I could hear it chirping loudly. Told her yup and that was like that from day one. Hahaha! I'll update later to see if the crickets will cease or not!
__________________


Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #506
Ultramaroon
Pull my finger
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 24,298
Thanks: 36,261
Thanked 24,304 Times in 13,282 Posts
Mentioned: 894 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
I had no clue there was an official recall for the fuel pump till today.
Took my car in for service and was told I needed to do it before my 5 year warranty expires in two months. Service writer asked me if I could hear it chirping loudly. Told her yup and that was like that from day one. Hahaha! I'll update later to see if the crickets will cease or not!
There's no recall. Recalls don't expire.

There is a TSB which will be covered under warranty. The work helps the dealer's books. I'm in the "If it ain't broke[n], don't fix it" camp.

It ain't broken. It's just noisy. Mine eventually quit ringing at around 40 Kmi.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #507
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 24,470
Thanks: 19,131
Thanked 22,592 Times in 12,389 Posts
Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
There's no recall. Recalls don't expire.

There is a TSB which will be covered under warranty. The work helps the dealer's books. I'm in the "If it ain't broke[n], don't fix it" camp.

It ain't broken. It's just noisy. Mine eventually quit ringing at around 40 Kmi.
...or maybe, you jest can't hear it no more -




humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #508
jcb476
Release 10 Series
 
jcb476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2013 10 Series FR-S #1874
Location: South central Indiana
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I had my fuel pump replaced today free since my FR-S was still under warranty. Otherwise, they said with parts and labor, it would have cost around $2000! Too early to tell if the "crickets" have left, but did not hear the noise when pulling into my garage after driving it home from the dealership. The noise was fairly loud and definitely noticeable prior to replacing it.
jcb476 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcb476 For This Useful Post:
86geek (08-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #509
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 24,470
Thanks: 19,131
Thanked 22,592 Times in 12,389 Posts
Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb476 View Post
I had my fuel pump replaced today free since my FR-S was still under warranty. Otherwise, they said with parts and labor, it would have cost around $2000! Too early to tell if the "crickets" have left, but did not hear the noise when pulling into my garage after driving it home from the dealership. The noise was fairly loud and definitely noticeable prior to replacing it.
DANG, what would have they put in it, a turbo-charged, gold plated model? -


humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #510
jcb476
Release 10 Series
 
jcb476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2013 10 Series FR-S #1874
Location: South central Indiana
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I know, right?! For that price, had it been out-of-pocket, that fuel pump better not have chirped!
jcb476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #511
Ultramaroon
Pull my finger
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 24,298
Thanks: 36,261
Thanked 24,304 Times in 13,282 Posts
Mentioned: 894 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb476 View Post
I know, right?! For that price, had it been out-of-pocket, that fuel pump better not have chirped!
Ask them how much they were paid to do the warranty work. What was the margin on the parts? It's much less than paying out of pocket.


They're just chatting you up so you feel better about the unnecessary work that they did.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #512
jcb476
Release 10 Series
 
jcb476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2013 10 Series FR-S #1874
Location: South central Indiana
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Ask them how much they were paid to do the warranty work. What was the margin on the parts? It's much less than paying out of pocket.


They're just chatting you up so you feel better about the unnecessary work that they did.
Ultimately it was unnecessary because the chirping fuel pump wasn't hurting anything mechanically, but it was annoying to me, so I'm glad I had it done while it was still free to me.
jcb476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #513
Ultramaroon
Pull my finger
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 24,298
Thanks: 36,261
Thanked 24,304 Times in 13,282 Posts
Mentioned: 894 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb476 View Post
Ultimately it was unnecessary because the chirping fuel pump wasn't hurting anything mechanically, but it was annoying to me, so I'm glad I had it done while it was still free to me.
Then it was a GREAT deal.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #514
JD001
Senior Member
 
JD001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 3,892
Thanks: 4,165
Thanked 3,284 Times in 1,915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My car's pump was changed, however, still getting chirping but not as loud or as frequent prior to the swap. The chirping is more prevalent when it's really warm outside or if I use certain fuel brands.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
86geek (08-18-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #515
86geek
Senior Member
 
86geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 1,000
Thanks: 1,296
Thanked 343 Times in 265 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
There's no recall. Recalls don't expire.

There is a TSB which will be covered under warranty. The work helps the dealer's books. I'm in the "If it ain't broke[n], don't fix it" camp.

It ain't broken. It's just noisy. Mine eventually quit ringing at around 40 Kmi.

My chirps were quite loud. I figured because I had just put gas in a few days ago. I haven't driven my car yet to really notice if the chirps are gone for now or completely.

I have the shittiest luck so changing the fuel pump at no cost to me is fine.

Plus my car was damaged earlier in the week by a coworker at my office. She reversed into my parked car. It's been a hell of a week for my sexy gf. Next is taking the car to a auto body shop for estimates. Scrapes to my rear bumper, trunk lid, trunk fender garnish, rear tail light and rear diffuser is smashed in a little. Coworkers insurance will cover all the repairs including daily rental car and to get my car recoated with Cquartz ceramic coating. Sigh....my detail guy just recoated with the Cquartz in June. He did my front hood, roof, pillars, trunk and entire rear end. Just hoping the auto body shop will be able to get the paint to match up.
__________________


Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:34 AM   #516
Ultramaroon
Pull my finger
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 24,298
Thanks: 36,261
Thanked 24,304 Times in 13,282 Posts
Mentioned: 894 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Sigh....my detail guy just recoated with the Cquartz in June.
Oh, that suuuucks. I get being irritated by the noise too. Not judging, just being the voice of minimalism.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
86geek (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 03:05 AM   #517
Impureclient
Your Mom is my Dad
 
Impureclient's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: NPR, Florida
Posts: 2,276
Thanks: 1,615
Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,181 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'll check in since it's been a while.
It's been two and a half years since I had the TSB done and still no chirps have returned
and it was really chirping it up before the fix.
I've only ever used Chevron 93 from the same gas station for the entire time I've had the car.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
86geek (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #518
jcb476
Release 10 Series
 
jcb476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2013 10 Series FR-S #1874
Location: South central Indiana
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
My chirps were quite loud. I figured because I had just put gas in a few days ago. I haven't driven my car yet to really notice if the chirps are gone for now or completely.

I have the shittiest luck so changing the fuel pump at no cost to me is fine.

Plus my car was damaged earlier in the week by a coworker at my office. She reversed into my parked car. It's been a hell of a week for my sexy gf. Next is taking the car to a auto body shop for estimates. Scrapes to my rear bumper, trunk lid, trunk fender garnish, rear tail light and rear diffuser is smashed in a little. Coworkers insurance will cover all the repairs including daily rental car and to get my car recoated with Cquartz ceramic coating. Sigh....my detail guy just recoated with the Cquartz in June. He did my front hood, roof, pillars, trunk and entire rear end. Just hoping the auto body shop will be able to get the paint to match up.
That certainly is a bad week. This past week I saw a BRZ that had run off the road into a corn field and hit some type of pole. The corn field and pole won. It made me cringe. The front end was beat up pretty bad. Hopefully everything works out for you, the paint matches well, and you're back out on the road again soon.
jcb476 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcb476 For This Useful Post:
86geek (08-18-2019)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DEATSCHWERKS DW 925cc Fuel Injectors & DW65c Fuel Pump ZeroTo86 Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 0 08-08-2016 06:39 AM
FS: Moto-East Flex Fuel Kit - OEM Fuel Pump FR-Shred Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 1 05-16-2016 06:28 PM
Fuel system questions. Boost-A-pump/stock fuel lines for engine swap Toxicmilk45 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 4 12-14-2015 03:52 PM
Fuel pump sw20kosh Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 1 12-10-2013 10:21 PM
Dynosty FR-S/BRZ Fuel System Upgrades! Deatschwerks DW65C Fuel Pump Dustin@Dynosty Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 3 08-21-2012 04:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.