follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #31361
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
More along the line of mass producing.
I see. May I point out the blindingly obvious: mass production and low price does not equal high quality.

Quote:
The Swiss would dispute the claim the Americans ever made the "best" watches.
I have a feeling that a vast majority of watch aficionados worldwide would raise an eyebrow at the statement, that's why I inquired about documentation to support the claim. Because I'm genuinely interested.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #31362
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
I see. May I point out the blindingly obvious: mass production and low price does not equal high quality.

I have a feeling that a vast majority of watch aficionados worldwide would raise an eyebrow at the statement, that's why I inquired about documentation to support the claim. Because I'm genuinely interested.
We must remember (This is not a slam) that many in the US honestly think they have developed EVERYTHING. Their history teaches them that. Many can not even conceive of the notion that things were and are invented or made better someplace else. Prior to 1918 the whole country was nothing more than a big farm and between 1920 and 1941 they were so isolationist that they had little to do with the rest of the world. Even many of their real developments and success (i.e. rockets, the telephone, ) were lead by immigrants and based upon the initial work performed by other countries. Where they truly did make advances was in the ability to make whole piles of things cheaply, quickly and consistently. According to another thread here that title has now gone to Asia though!
cjd (05-06-2017), Cole (05-06-2017), Dadhawk (05-06-2017), krayzie (05-06-2017), Sarlacc (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #31363
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
We must remember (This is not a slam) that many in the US honestly think they have developed EVERYTHING. Their history teaches them that. Many can not even conceive of the notion that things were and are invented or made better someplace else. Prior to 1918 the whole country was nothing more than a big farm and between 1920 and 1941 they were so isolationist that they had little to do with the rest of the world. Even many of their real developments and success (i.e. rockets, the telephone, ) were lead by immigrants and based upon the initial work performed by other countries. Where they truly did make advances was in the ability to make whole piles of things cheaply, quickly and consistently. According to another thread here that title has now gone to Asia though!
Just remember we saved the world from the evil Nazis! (By showing up at the last minute to a fight that was already almost over but who's counting).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-06-2017), krayzie (05-06-2017), Sarlacc (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #31364
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
'17 WRX (Premium)

Don't worry, didn't trade-in my BRZ
I am holding out for the 19 on the new platform (which I love even in the Impreza) and very well may consider a WRX. It will be a whole different animal then the current gen.
Not sure if I will enjoy vaping or if I can keep my hat brim flat enough though.
Attached Images

ichitaka05 (05-06-2017), p1l0t (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #31365
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Just remember we saved the world from the evil Nazis! (By showing up at the last minute to a fight that was already almost over but who's counting).

That was WW1 as well. You do get full points (with a minor assist from Australia) for the pacific war though.
Boomerang (05-06-2017), Cole (05-06-2017), p1l0t (05-06-2017), Sarlacc (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #31366
p1l0t

Quote:
That was WW1 as well. You do get full points (with a minor assist from Australia) for the pacific war though.
We are about to go for round two I think... saw this at the same time Trump was in town.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-06-2017), Tcoat (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #31367
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am holding out for the 19 on the new platform (which I love even in the Impreza) and very well may consider a WRX. It will be a whole different animal then the current gen.
Not sure if I will enjoy vaping or if I can keep my hat brim flat enough though.
Still on my radar. I think I'm fairly convinced at this point I'd like to move away from a coupe. Unless it's something giant like an Audi A5, I can't see it happening though. Plus, I think the WRX hits a nice balance between having a fun coupe, and a practical SUV. Something I often forget about when I look into SUV's is the size factor. While something like the FJ wouldn't be as bad as my truck, it's still going to be a hassle depending on where I go. The only thing that makes me shy away from the WRX is the fact that I would absolutely love to get a Lexus GS/LS. Especially since they can be had for very reasonable money used, and I know that it's likely to not have been abused. I wonder if I can get a deal (TMMC pricing) on a new Lexus that isn't the RX, if I can, that may sway me a bit too.

I do vape, and I have zero hats with curved brims, so I'm good to go.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #31368
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
'17 WRX (Premium)
Must be car buying day. 2014 Ford Focus SE purchased today to replace SonHawk's 1998 Volvo that was totaled a couple of weeks back.

Insurance money covered about half the cost of the upgrade and we split the rest with him since he is still a poor college kid.

Nice driving car, for a FWD.
Attached Images

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #31369
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
An interesting thing happened to me while I was dropping my girlfriend off at her parent's place today. I was driving up a 2 lane highway, and someone made a left turn in front of me. I thought "ok, no big deal, they'll get up to speed by the time I'm close to them". Boy, was I ever wrong. I had to hit the brakes harder than I wanted, because they were going 40kmh slower than I was. Highway speed limit is 80, I was going 99, he was going 60. So, I came about a car length away from him by the time I had matched his speed. After that, he was speeding up and slowing down between 80 and 100, which always frustrates me to no end. The road finally opened up to a passing lane so as I went to pass him, he gave me the finger. I thought "what the hell? The only time I even came close to being on his ass was when he improperly merged onto a highway, and when he was going at an inconsistent speed, but I always backed off to about 4 car lengths once I matched his speed".

Then, after I was ahead of him, he gave me the finger for about 4 kilometers until we came into a town and the speed limit went down to 60. I almost never speed through this town because police are around at odd times and I never want to risk it. So, come up to the speed limit sign, slow down and apply my brakes lightly. Well, he ended up on my ass at this point which further infuriated him, and I could still see the finger and he was also yelling. The road into town opens up to 4 lanes, so he gets beside me, rolls his window all the way down and I can hear him screaming "PULL THE FUCK OVER ASSHOLE I'M GOING TO FUCK YOU UP". Light turned yellow ahead of us, so I put the hammer down to get some space between us, luckily he turned off at the lights.

I seriously do not understand people. I'm about 99% sure that I did nothing wrong in this situation, and I wish I remembered to put my SD card in my dash cam again after clearing it out this weekend. My girlfriend was pretty wound up when he was beside us, and I was worried too, because I had no idea if he was mad enough to make contact with my car, being he was on my right side, the GF could have been hurt if that happened. Didn't want to stop because again, scared that he might do something, and of course, speeding through town to get away from him wasn't an option either.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the guy looked to be late 40's to early 50's.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #31370
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:
Thank you, that explains a lot.

I will have to state, once again, that I love the USA. The people, the food and the portions, the music, the cars, the motorcycles, and so on.

But the "best in the world" statement about anything and everything annoys me sometimes.
Like this guy, who makes slight variations of the same dreary plywood box over and over again and still have the stomach to make his ridiculous claim.

I like the show, except for the part about "the most amazing treehouses on earth" which just sounds like unfounded and excessive bragging.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #31371
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
An interesting thing happened to me while I was dropping my girlfriend off at her parent's place today. I was driving up a 2 lane highway, and someone made a left turn in front of me. I thought "ok, no big deal, they'll get up to speed by the time I'm close to them". Boy, was I ever wrong. I had to hit the brakes harder than I wanted, because they were going 40kmh slower than I was. Highway speed limit is 80, I was going 99, he was going 60. So, I came about a car length away from him by the time I had matched his speed. After that, he was speeding up and slowing down between 80 and 100, which always frustrates me to no end. The road finally opened up to a passing lane so as I went to pass him, he gave me the finger. I thought "what the hell? The only time I even came close to being on his ass was when he improperly merged onto a highway, and when he was going at an inconsistent speed, but I always backed off to about 4 car lengths once I matched his speed".

Then, after I was ahead of him, he gave me the finger for about 4 kilometers until we came into a town and the speed limit went down to 60. I almost never speed through this town because police are around at odd times and I never want to risk it. So, come up to the speed limit sign, slow down and apply my brakes lightly. Well, he ended up on my ass at this point which further infuriated him, and I could still see the finger and he was also yelling. The road into town opens up to 4 lanes, so he gets beside me, rolls his window all the way down and I can hear him screaming "PULL THE FUCK OVER ASSHOLE I'M GOING TO FUCK YOU UP". Light turned yellow ahead of us, so I put the hammer down to get some space between us, luckily he turned off at the lights.

I seriously do not understand people. I'm about 99% sure that I did nothing wrong in this situation, and I wish I remembered to put my SD card in my dash cam again after clearing it out this weekend. My girlfriend was pretty wound up when he was beside us, and I was worried too, because I had no idea if he was mad enough to make contact with my car, being he was on my right side, the GF could have been hurt if that happened. Didn't want to stop because again, scared that he might do something, and of course, speeding through town to get away from him wasn't an option either.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the guy looked to be late 40's to early 50's.
Sometimes people get mad even though they fucked up to begin with or for no good reason. Just today I was driving up the hill to work and granted the speed limit is 25 but I just rocket up the hill because I like turns. Anyway I caught up to this pickup truck doing like 30 (note 5mph over but I'm evil for doing 10 or 15 over) and I just backed off the gas, didn't beep, didn't ride his ass, but the guy throws his hand up out the window... I didn't even respond just picked up my coffee and took and big sip. The guy gets even more pissed off and slows way down to like 18mph to take the turn off to where he was going. I didn't even respond just drinking my coffee and the guy is still looking at me still as I go by. I think he was like pissed I am able to go over speed limit slighty and he for some reason is a (sort of?) law abiding citizen. Like who cares I didn't harass you why you mad bro?

Old 05-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #31372
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
As long as they are used in the same sentence, at the risk of sounding pedantic I will explain that from a manufacturing standpoint, the word 'quality' is used to define the consistency of the product; the lack of change from one unit to the next. Macdonalds is a classic example of high quality in the context of fast food restaurants.

High quality processes are developed to, and do minimize cost, especially in mass production systems.

Quote:
We must remember (This is not a slam) that many in the US honestly think they have developed EVERYTHING. Their history teaches them that. Many can not even conceive of the notion that things were and are invented or made better someplace else.
WTF did the Canadians ever develop besides frostbite and apologies.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #31373
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
As long as they are used in the same sentence, at the risk of sounding pedantic I will explain that from a manufacturing standpoint, the word 'quality' is used to define the consistency of the product; the lack of change from one unit to the next. Macdonalds is a classic example of high quality in the context of fast food restaurants.

High quality processes are developed to, and do minimize cost, especially in mass production systems.
Extremely good point.

-so how do you express quality defined by the degree of excellence of something?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #31374
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Extremely good point.

-so how do you express quality defined by the degree of excellence of something?
I think Ultra's making a distinction between the quality of the process, i.e., a high quality process produces extremely consistent results, vs. the quality of the actual end product itself, although I could be wrong.. jump in if I am, Ultra.

Using the McDonald's example, the food product available at McDonald's "restaurants" (I cringed when I wrote that) IS amazingly consistent.. pretty much every McDonald's in our area hands you exactly the same food. On the other hand, we have "good" and "bad" Wendy's, Burger King, and Dunkin' Donuts places all over the place, and that would represent a poorer process.. the food isn't consistent from one to the next.

You can have an excellent, high quality process that produces remarkably bad but very consistent products. "Bad" is, of course, in the eye of the end user.. they may be "great" products in some people's eyes, depending upon their desired goals for the product. Peavey speakers, Bundy trumpets, Behringer microphones.. all remarkably consistent products that do the job they're intended to do, but just not at a level that would be acceptable to professionals in those fields. In other words, products of entry-level quality that are the result of high quality processes.

That's my take on it, anyway. I don't know much about the actual lingo used in the manufacturing business, so I could be misrepresenting what Ultra said. If so.. let me know
Dadhawk (05-08-2017), krayzie (05-06-2017), Sarlacc (05-06-2017), Ultramaroon (05-06-2017)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis